anyone know about notebooks?

Guest uzi_999

Guest uzi_999

i have a notebook/laptop pc and i would like to upgrade the processor, i was wondering if anyone would have any experince... its a compaq armada m700 with a pentium 3 about 647mhz and i was wondering about the processor socket type. which socket type is it ? and can i just unplug the processor and plug in a new one and are there worries of overheating??? and if anyone is very experienced with compaq armada's - can i upgrade the systems graphics or is it soldered onto the motherboard???

Guest Drewtech

If you are in th UK then try this site LapTopBits but it looks like you can only go upto 1GHz and that really isn't worth the cost. You might be better off getting a new laptop. I assume you ahve as much RAM as it will take since upgrading this should give you some performance boost but all laptop upgrades are much more expensive than their PC counterparts.

Guest scm7rap

Attempting to upgrade a laptop such as you are suggesting is an almost no-no. Everything tends to be soldered on, custom made, built in, etc to allow for the compactness. The only thiing you can upgrade easily is the RAM, and the hard drive with a little more effort.

You would probably be better off buying a new one - you can gete them for less than £500 these days, brand new.

Guest nedge2k

Yep. I had to put up with my gf's 400mhz dell for almost 2 years until i got my new one. Only things i could upgrade were ram and hdd. Had to buy a pcmcia usb2 card, usb sound card, usb cd burner etc. Do yourself a favour a get a new lappy :D

If/when you do get it, remember to wipe it and re-install the OS. These days they all come preloaded with so much crap its unreal and it slows the lappy down really bad.

Oh and if you're running low on cash...PC World are soooooo easy to get finance with :D

Guest Chaser81
Oh and if you're running low on cash...PC World are soooooo easy to get finance with :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but make sure you know what you want BEFORE you walk into the shop... No use asking one of those eejits who work there anything even slightly technical! :roll:

Guest Drewtech
Yeah, but make sure you know what you want BEFORE you walk into the shop... No use asking one of those eejits who work there anything even slightly technical!  :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a little unfair. There is a least one member of staff in each store who knows what they are talking about. Mind you, they don't work every day! :D

Guest Chaser81

@Drewtech,

Yeah, probably a little unfair. I work for the Dixons Group, so I know the kind of training that they receive; its no wonder that most of them dont appear to know much about the products they sell. There are always one or two that have an interest in computers outside of work though and bring that knowledge with them when they go in everyday who are the good ones to talk to. I generalised above, so apologies to all those PC World employees on here I offended... Thats all two of you that know enough of how a PC works to have been able to sign up to these forums! :D

Edited by Chaser81