Watch Advice

Guest philgriffiths

Guest philgriffiths

I know its a bit of a strange forum to ask but here goes. I need to get a new watch. A while back i took up running in an effort to get fit, but now to start building on my progress i want to get a wristwatch which monitors my heart rate, maybe works out calories burnt, and perhaps makes pace. Can anyone reccomend any makes or models that deliver what i'm after?

Guest philgriffiths

Thats a cool watch!

But i'm looking for something specifcally for excersising/running. that gives me information to judge my progress and control my pace.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Not exactly a watch but there was a post about a year ago about someone who ran a marathon somewhere with a GPS, heart rate monitors etc wired to his SmartPhone and all this information was logged to the phone and sent back to his 'medical team'

Not quite what you are looking for but its a possibility.

Guest blewer
I know its a bit of a strange forum to ask but here goes. I need to get a new watch. A while back i took up running in an effort to get fit, but now to start building on my progress i want to get a wristwatch which monitors my heart rate, maybe works out calories burnt, and perhaps makes pace. Can anyone reccomend any makes or models that deliver what i'm after?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without doubt Polar make the best Heart Rate monitors.

When buying one you need to decide exactly what you wnat it to do. The cheapest watch will only read your HR and will cost you about £30. The most expensive will measure your fitness levels, attach to a bike to tell you what speed you are going, weight tracker, plus load of features and will cost you around £300.

The more features you want the more you will pay!!!

There is a fairly new one worth looking at which comes with a speed checker that attaches to your laces and they reckon it's 98% accurate without callibration.

CLICK HERE

Click the link above to take you to the Polar website.

It's worth getting as good as you can afford.

Good luck

Adam

P.S If I was to purchase a Heart Rate moniter I would buy the link above :D

Edited by blewer

Guest philgriffiths

Thanks for the advice Blewer. That looks to be the fancy piece of kit i'm after. Shame it only connects to a nokia, and not a smartphone.

I've heard of some of these watches from a company that makes Scuba Diving computers, called Sunto. anyone heard of, or have experience of these watches?

Thats a cool watch!

But i'm looking for something specifcally for excersising/running. that gives me information to judge my progress and control my pace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was quite a serious cross-country runner some years ago (unfortunately my knees gave up on me; sobering thought at the age of 26) and I have a watch that I used religiously, it has a heart-rate monitor, upper and lower thresholds etc...

Its really rather good.

I'm just heading off up to uni to submit my dissertation (15000 words on the admissibility of evidence obtained through torture in anti-terror trials; FUN!!!) but will look for it when I get home.

I'm assuming of course that to get a very good watch and to get it quite cheap you wouldn't be adverse to 2nd hand.

Let me know,

Barry

Guest philgriffiths

After a little thought i think i may have given people the wrong impression. Currently i run for about 30 mins around three times a week and almost all of the time this is done on a treadmill at the gym, then ontop of this i do some other cardio work and some resistance training. I thought a heart rate monitor like the ones suggested might help me get a more accurate measure of my progress. Looking through the polar website i think the ones under the running section might be a bit too fancy for my needs, with those under the fitness section better suited. Perhaps an update on my needs might help you guys help me:

- Able to display time - so that i have a a more lightweight alternative to my chuncky Breitling for the summer months

- Heart Rate readout - Must be constant read out.

- Calories burnt

- Able to save several sessions details into device, and possibly port them to PC (or my M2000)

- Water Resistance

- Something which tells me NOT what speed i am currently running but whether i need to speed up/or slow down to maintain a constant speed (like when your on a treadmill you set the speed and run to it)

I appreciate that at the moment the last requirement isnt massivly important as i mainly run in the gym, but with the summer coming up i plan to move it outdoors and want to be able to make sure i maininting the same speeds and training levels. I'm going to be spending some time on the south coast soon so some morning runs along the surf might be inorder! :D I have a fair bit of cash to spend, just dont want to get my pants pulled down and end up with something thats costs a mint and doesnt really do what i want.

Edited by philgriffiths

You sent me a PM about my watch and here is the info you requested:

Model: Heartsafe TZ

Manufacturer: Cardiosport

Here are some specification details:

-Time of Day

-10 Hour stopwatch

-Heartrate recording upto 2.5 hours

-Heart rate zone (high & low with 1 beat steps)

-Time in Heart Zone (Heart rate controlled stopwatch)

-LCD Light (helpful if you run in the dark)

-Water resistant to 20m

-Contour Lite transmitter

The low down:

This is as good as you can get without turning pro! Often you will get watches that purport to measure your heart rate but they measure it from your wrist or putting your thumb on it, these are just not as accurate. This bad boy has a seperate transmitter (which is sold with the watch) which easily straps around your chest to measure your heart rate straight from your heart.

Some reviews (Good and bad):

Review - Good

Review - 4/5

Review - Unreliable

Reviews are predominantly good although a couple I found had reliablility issues with this product. Not personally experienced those problems but its only right to let you know that others have.

Comparing it to your requirements:

-Displays the time :D

-Heart rate read out is constant (assuming your heart doesn't stop beating; lol) :D

-I don't remember if you can save multiple sessions :?:

-It is not able to export data to your computer or your M2000 :D

-It is water resistant (to 20m) so if you fancy a swim you can still use it :D

- Something which tells me NOT what speed i am currently running but whether i need to speed up/or slow down to maintain a constant speed (like when your on a treadmill you set the speed and run to it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That one has confused me a little?!? You say you don't want it to tell you your speed but whether you need to speed up or slow down. I don't know of any watches that can tell you your current speed or at least not to any degree of accuracy. The data input to the watch is your heart rate and this will not correspond directly to your speed as so many factors affect your heart rate (although I agee your speed will be one of those factors). It can tell you whether you need to exert more effort or less effort to keep within your desired heart rate 'zone'; i.e. within your upper and lower threshold. I think that is what you were getting at.

I haven't used it for some time so want to give it a thorough test before I even think about selling it; last thing I want to do is take somebodies money and send them a broken/unreliable product. I also need to remind myself of whether it is able to save multiple sessions, but as I said it cannot export the data to a computer or your M2000. From my memory it was in top condition when I used it last. My dad even used it for a while after he returned from the hospital after a heart bypass op; the doctors were delighted that he had it.

I can see that you are a MoDaCo Plus member and are clearly fairly regular on the site so if you would like I may be able to arrange sending it to you so that you can use it for a week before deciding whether to part with your hard earned.

Basically what I am saying is: There is no hard sell here, I've given you the pro's and con's as I see them and you have the opportunity to 'try before you buy'. I am passionate about running and my only hope is that you get the best HRM (Heart rate monitor) for your requirements.

Hope that helps,

Barry

Guest philgriffiths

325 bucks you say? I'll just check my bank balance.....

Picks self up off floor..... I don't think i can stretch that far!

Barry, I've had a look at over some of the reviews you pointed to, along with a couple of others i found. It isnt the most attractive product I've ever seen, but I'm not the most attractive guy when I've been running for half an hour! I'll be honest with you, I still prefer the Polar Monitor that Adam pointed to earlier... but its a damn pricey bit of kit. What i was referring to about the speed sensor is that the polar monitor refferred to earlier has a 'pod' that you attach to your foot to give you your speed, i do appreceate that this is obviously a more recent thing and i would be very lucky to pick up something like that second hand.

Thanks for the way generous offer of letting me try yours out for a few days, once you've checked its all working of course. That will help me a lot in deciding if its what I'm after, or even if a Heart Rate Monitor in general is going to give me what i want. Let me know once you've checked it out. Do you still have the original manual?

Meanwhile if anyone else has any other advice heart rate monitors or other fitness gadgets then feel free to pitch in!