What do you use?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

Having just done three fresh installs on various machines and realising that Norton was one of the reasons my lappy was crawling, i just wanted to know what you lot all use on your machines. So what are you using for:

1)Firewall (inc hardware)

2)Antivirus

3)Spy/Adware

How do they perform? Are they good at what they do? Do they slow you down?

Im currently using:

1)Windows & Router Firewall (windows is easy for port forwarding and router gives that bit extra (and is the most secure apparently)

2)AVG - its free and pretty damn good. doesnt bog the lappy down but you do need to manually add entries into MSN to get it to scan recieved files ("C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgw.exe" /SE %1)

3)None as yet :oops:

Cheers :D

Guest SMYKUL

I use Zone Labs security suite, That pretty much does it all.I also use Spybot Search & Destroy (the residents especially) on top of that because it gets updated more often and has been around longer.

Guest scottishdave

1) Cisco Pix 506e.

2) Symantec AV Corp.

3) WebRoot Spysweeper.

Cisco Pix - If you can afford one it is defintley worth it. Probably a little OTT for the average home user though.

Symantec AV - Never, ever had problems with it (on my current setup) but then again the server runs the software and the PC only has the client installed. I have come accross the "Symantec grinds my machine to a halt" scenario a couple of times. Unfortunately I can't remember how I got around it. Symantecs site is a good starting point for probs like that.

WebRoot - Very good bit of kit. Currently considering purchasing the Enterprise edition for work.

Guest pwest13

I recommend Avast! it immense its like Norman except you dont have to pay, it is better then AVG IMO as it doesn't have problems updating. Its fast and i haven't had a problem with it yet for a good 3 months !

BTW i don't work for them just think its very good freeware :D

Guest cubik

1)Windows XP Firewall

Works. Tried others, less to do with this one.

2)Grisoft AVG Free Edition

It works, it's free... nuff said

3)Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Probably use Spybot the most, running with 'tea-timer' resident to protect browser. MS Anti-spyware is resident and works fine, but the beta tag prevents me from removing others. Ad-aware is run occaisionally just and sometimes picks up on items the others haven't.

Guest beersoft

i have

e-smith/contribs linux box as my firewall

i use clamAV and norton corp for virus protection

and ms spyware and common sense for the other thingys

later

Owen

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I've been using norton 2005 for AV and the hardware nvidia activearmour firewall built into my motherboard, however i discovered today that it's the likely cause of my many random bsods i've been getting recently! So i'm back to the XPSP2 firewall...

Guest pd.ryder

XPSP2 firewall

AVG Free Edition - updates itself seamlessly since it was updated to the newest version and doesn't insist you close Outlook.

Spybot S&D - I wish it would update itself like AVG (without having to ask it to search for new files)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Psicotix
Having just done three fresh installs on various machines and realising that Norton was one of the reasons...

[snip]

Cheers ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Avoid Norton. I can feel it in my brainstem.

I've been using McAfee at home absolutely fine for a few months, it's v. simple but the security centre does pretty much everything you'd need and updates are rapid.

Having said that, an installation at work seems to have gone tits up on the privacy side of things.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Agnitum Outpost FW.

Symantec Antivirus Corporate 10 (I used to be a NOD32 fan)

Ad-aware SE Pro.

Guest pisquee

Computer Associates here on all counts

EZ Armor (Antivirus and Firewall)

aswell as their Pest Control Antispyware thing

on top of those the Windows XP2 firewall and Microsoft anti spyware.

... have used Norton in the past, but found it expensive, and slowed down the computers it was on so much, that running CA's offering was a nice alternative, doesn't slow the computer, is not expensive, and does the job. Regular updates too - usually every day!

Edited by pisquee

Guest Pondrew

Norton Internet Security 2005 (incorporates Antivirus and Personal Firewall with other tools)

I've always been very pleased with Symantec/Norton Antivirus and although I used to use ZoneAlarm I've since found Personal Firewall just as effective...