This has nothing to do with computers....

Guest afhstingray

Guest afhstingray

Okay, its kinda complicated why i have been forced to dance, but the gist of it is, the local pub is having an 80's night and i cant dance at all, let alone dance 80's...and yes...the complicated reason involves a girl :D

i did a search on the net but all i can find are sites trying to sell dance videos :S

anyone have ideas??

Guest AngelOfRage

I would suggest getting very drunk, even if your not very good at dancing, you'll think that you ARE John Travolta!

seariously though, all i could think is trying to copy moves on music videos or something like that.

im not to sure what's involved in 80's dancing, thats a decade i think most people want to forget :D

Guest Disco Stu

Since most of the music will likely have an electronic beat, get yourself any old disco / house record and start walking on the spot - left foot, right foot - in time to the beat.

Now loosen yourbadself up (the alcohol will help here) and wave your arms a bit and feel the rhythm.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Master the basics and take it from there :D

Guest Disco Stu

What I was suggesting was that you practice at home first and that that was the way to start. You need to get used to listening to the music and stepping in time. Then progress to one foot to the side, other foot goes to meet it. Then go back again.

I can teach you my Travolta moves later but you've got to start with the basics.

Either you take this seriously or that honey is walking away with some other guy... :D

Guest afhstingray

"Either you take this seriously or that honey is walking away with some other guy..."

eeek...

okay. im going to go to flares early today to try something out. its a wednesday, and if i go early its probably going to be empty so i wont make a fool of myself if things go bad.

i'll report on the progress later.

Guest Samsonite

ROFLMAO!! i cant wait for the report on this one!!!! :D

i feel for you tho dude... being a rhythmic retard myself i understand your plight!! never underestimate the power of alcohol - if you try this sober you will want to shrivel up and die if you spot onlookers checking out your moves... :D

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

no harm intended... i do think that Modaco might not be the best place for advice on how to look cool at the local discotheque tho... see! i even dont have the proper lingo to name the place he's gonna go!! Discotheque!!! no-ones probably been to one of those for a decade or two!! everyones out getting mashed at da club these days...

Guest bbb678
lol, if disco stu cant help you dance, then who can ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

getting drunk would be the quickest solution but if you are really that bad you should get dancing lessons. google it or something--you will need it in the long run

Guest afhstingray

Right....

Here is the progress report plus bar review

The flares in croydon seems to have closed, but another 80's place called reflex opened up in its building. so basically its the same thing with a different name.

the drinks were nicely priced. 2 pints of carling for 3 quid. i had that.

I sat down in the lounge area and read up on the prokaryotic cell. Once i was convinced i knew the differences between that and a eukaryotic cell, i Downed a pint.

Then i headed to the corner of the dance floor to try out this sideways dancing thingy. Im pleased to report i can now do that decently.

They also show music videos there. I observed several 80's dancers, and i concluded that michael jackson's feet must be possesed by some kind of (possibly evil) thingy.

I had the second pint to console myself.

Now, what do i do next?

I might head there tonight again to see if anyone is dancing. There wasnt anyone dancing yesterday. Oooh yea and today its 2 cocktails for 3.50.

Guest Disco Stu

Excellent progress so far.

I have no idea what the prokaryotic cell is, other than that it's different to the eukaryotic cell. Cheers for that. I'm now ready to apply for Millionnaire.

Is that a 'friendly bacteria' conversation ploy you're developing just in case the dancing fails ?

The next bit is to introduce a bit of body-swaying & twisting into the sideways stepping and to make some moves in other directions than the simple lateral left / right.

Perhaps a twirl every now and then.

See how you get on. You're right to take the chance to watch others as you'll soon see how bad most people are and how little you need to do to impress that special gal.

Guest afhstingray

nope, for some reason i can get much more studying done when there is loud music, so i took the opportunity to get a bit of revision done. today its gonna be group 7 of the periodic table :D

hmm twirling could be a problem. i think i'll start off with swaying. what do i do with my hands ?

i'll bring my SPV with me to check for updates lol

cya im off now.... for round 2

Guest mavisdavis

How 2 Breakdance

This'll will inpress her if nothing else does. At least its a little better than waving your arms like a drowning seagull :D

Ive been breakdancing since the great 80's and have passsed on this talent to my 2 kids who love it, I unfortunatly suffer from old age now (31) and can no longer pull off some of the more extreme moves :oops: as the lino has been replaced with Laminate and its not as soft :D

Oh NO I missed him.... Good luck matey

Edited by mavisdavis

Guest Disco Stu

For now, I'd keep your hands fairly still - kind of how they'd be if you were doing some running. Take care not to swing them round like a gibbon for the time being.

Unless you're attempting The Funky Gibbon of course.

But then that was the 70s...

Guest philgriffiths

This is possibly the funniest thread i have read on MoDoCo!

Don't forget. Most guys think they are s*** at cutting up that dance floor. And most are right! Important to remeber that everyone will be nicley drunk anyway, and i suppose one of us should come out with the old chestnuts like "If she is really a nice gal, she will be more interested in the person, and not how they are dancing" or even "You shouldn't have to impress her just let her get to know you.. then in time love you.." :D

Can't help thiking you should provide us witha pic of this girly just so we can see why you so desperatley want to be the next john travolta just to get into her knickers!

EDIT: Just an after thought. If you are trying to impress a girl i wouldnt get too drunk. Nicley sloshed but not totally mullered. Apparantley no girl likes the come on from a drunken tit

Edited by philgriffiths

Guest afhstingray

is the funky gibbon any relation to the funky chicken?

firstly, im not aiming to impress, i just dont want to look like an idiot. any impressing that may happen can be considered a bonus.

secondly, im not trying to get into anyones knickers. in fact, i strongly disapprove of being nice to a girl just to get her into bed. i wouldnt like someone doing that to my sister, so i wouldnt do that to someone else's sister.

okay. on to the report.

I discovered one of the bouncers is a big fan of chemistry, and he's becoming a chartered accountant :shock:

you REALLY cant judge a book by its cover ;)

i tried moving to "billie jean" and this other song i dont know the name, if someone could tell me what the title of the song was, i'd be grateful. Most of the words in it was "na na na na na na,.. na na " the video was of a black guy and woman, the guy wore a white hat.

it was better than yesterday, but i still feel like my hands are stiff because i dont know what to do with them.

the practise session was cut short, as more people came in. i discovered it was "dirty dancing" night, and there was a prize for the best dirty dancer. as the ladies took to the poles, well....lets just say i did more watching than dancing lol

that brings me to an important question; how on earth do you watch other guys dancing (in order to learn) without people thinking you are gay? :|

Guest Disco Stu

1. The Funky Gibbon was a hit single for the Goodies - the 70s TV comedy team. Oh how we laughed.... ;) :roll:

2. Respect to you for your enlightened attitude towards women. =D>

3. I'm an accountant myself in real life.

4. The hands will sort themselves out once you've loosened up. For now just keep them out of other dancers' faces !

5. You'll just have to be sly at copping glances at other guys. Come on, we all check out the opposition. :D

6. You definitely need some simple, light shoes with no grip. Lace-ups preferably so they're secure on your feet. You'll ned a bit of slide on the 'floor.

Good luck :D

Guest afhstingray

woohoo! i managed (barely) to do the moonwalk. its not too smooth, but should improve with practise. today's friday, so the place should be crowded. might be able to pick up some tricks from the people on the floor.

I've been trying to pick up some MJ moves because "billie jean" , "smooth criminal", and "dont stop till you get enough" seem to be very popular.

now, if only someone could invent a spray that could make the stench of ciggarette smoke disappear from your clothes after clubbing.......

Guest Disco Stu

So, yesterday you couldn't dance. Today you're moonwalking ?!?

Next thing you'll be telling us you're body-popping with mavisdavis !

Be careful with the MJ moves dude ;)

Guest philgriffiths
woohoo! i managed (barely) to do the moonwalk. its not too smooth, but should improve with practise. today's friday, so the place should be crowded. might be able to pick up some tricks from the people on the floor.

I've been trying to pick up some MJ moves because "billie jean" , "smooth criminal", and "dont stop till you get enough" seem to be very popular.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably best shy away from all the groin touching MJ was getting up to the eighties dance moves. People might get the wrong idea!

now, if only someone could invent a spray that could make the stench of ciggarette smoke disappear from your clothes after clubbing.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about Febreeze? ;)