Key and screen lock for PPC

Guest bretto

Guest bretto

Hi All

Does anyone know of an application that will simply COMPLETELY lock my PPC.

There are a number of apps around but they all have their quirks and are generally incomplete in some way. Or they insist on adding other functionality.

I simply want to hold a key down for a period of time (auto timed lock would be good too) and have the device lock both keys and touch screen.

When anything happens, no matter what it is, the device stays locked. Except for the unlock key combo obviously.

The standard lock buttons at turn off turns everything back on when a call or message comes in. Others leave the keys locked but turn the touch screen on.

Maybe someone wants to develop this. If they do can we keep it simple. Dont need a screensaver option or anything tricky that will eat battery power.

Just want it to disable input from the keys and touch screen until it is specifically unlocked.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest bretto

Ok well if someone has the ability to create a simple dll that encapsulates the touchpanel dll I would be happy to do the rest.

I believe visual studio has this ability. It apparently includes the .h and .lib files to support the touchpanel.

I only use evc++ and it doesnt come with these library and header files.

Or if someone can get me these files I'll encapsulate the TP too ;)

I could use TPEnable.exe and TPDisable.exe but I dont know if they work on all platforms. They come with wm200se but not wm2003 so I dont even know if they work on wm2003 devices. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this too.

Cheers

Bretto

Guest RiceBurner
Ok well if someone has the ability to create a simple dll that encapsulates the touchpanel dll I would be happy to do the rest.

I believe visual studio has this ability. It apparently includes the .h and .lib files to support the touchpanel.

I only use evc++ and it doesnt come with these library and header files.

Or if someone can get me these files I'll encapsulate the TP too ;)

I could use TPEnable.exe and TPDisable.exe but I dont know if they work on all platforms. They come with wm200se but not wm2003 so I dont even know if they work on wm2003 devices. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this too.

Cheers

Bretto

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be interested in this - DeltaLock (screenlocking) and ButtonLock (just button locks) are all very well, but I agree a PROPER "InterfaceLock" would be far more useful.

As long as you can set it up so that it'll still answer calls at the touch of a Bluetooth headset button.... :D

Guest RiceBurner
I'd be interested in this - DeltaLock (screenlocking) and ButtonLock (just button locks) are all very well, but I agree a PROPER "InterfaceLock" would be far more useful.

As long as you can set it up so that it'll still answer calls at the touch of a Bluetooth headset button.... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Update - just downloaded DeltaLock V3 (0.03 actually) and it appears to be a complete "lock-out" program.

Even locks out the buttons, apart from the 2 used to reactivate the phone, which you can alter.

http://www.deltadevelopment.de/users/chris...Lock/index.html

Guest bretto
Update - just downloaded DeltaLock V3  (0.03 actually) and it appears to be a complete "lock-out" program.

Even locks out the buttons, apart from the 2 used to reactivate the phone, which you can alter.

http://www.deltadevelopment.de/users/chris...Lock/index.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Riceburner

Thanks for the heads up. Just checked it out. This is close to what I want but the application still appears to be relying on "stealing" the screen to stop it from being used.

What I mean is yes you can write a fullscreen app to run in the forground all the time and hide the rest of the screen so users cannot select anything other than your app but what happens when you want to look at the device and see the time or if you have mail/sms, etc.

I knocked something up very similar in evc++ when I was playing around but I ran into the same limitation. Its actually not too hard to disable the buttons but the touch panel is another beast altoghether.

Also these two programs are from HTC which work on both wm2003 and wm2003se.

TPDisable.exe and TPEnable.exe. At the moment I simply have them associated with two of my hardware buttons but now Ive tested them on both operating systems I think I will knock up something using them until I can work out how to encapsulate the touch.dll.

touch_panel_utils.zip

Guest bretto

Ive been haveing a better look at this and pulling my hair out!

Ideally a background or tray based app would be good. But I cant get the wm_key messages to process unless the app in on the screen.

ie: have a tray app. when on screen using gdi functions the hardware buttons are all under my control. When the window is hidden but still "active" I loose the buttons capture.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this. Even better can anyone else have a go at doing this.

Dont think I can use registerhotkey because if another app has already registered the hotkey it is unobtainable.

Edited by bretto

• 1 month later...
Guest vijay555

I haven't done any serious PocketPC programming, but couldn't you do this by subclassing the windows messages and filtering for the ones you want?

This would probably need to be a window hook (if they exist in PPC).

Please ignore if I'm talking poo.

V

• 1 month later...
Guest bretto
any more on this tool ill probably need something when i get my m500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shelved it because of other committments. But since you reminded me about it I might take another look at it.

Guest sleighty
any more on this tool ill probably need something when i get my m500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think something like this is essential for M500. Had mine since Thursday and can't understand why Orange/HTC let it out without some sort of full lock.

If its in its case or a pocket and receives a call or text, all keys go live and it can then ring out accidentally etc.

By the way, a long press on the power key DOESN'T turn off phone per manual, only the backlight. Short press turns off PDA ok.

I've been managing by short press on power button after using phone before putting back in case. Guess this is what they intended, but would prefer long press on red handset key to lock a la E200. Not sure how to propose unlock.

Guest NikLP
I think something like this is essential for M500. Had mine since Thursday and can't understand why Orange/HTC let it out without some sort of full lock.

If its in its case or a pocket and receives a call or text, all keys go live and it can then ring out accidentally etc.

By the way, a long press on the power key DOESN'T turn off phone per manual, only the backlight. Short press turns off PDA ok.

I've been managing by short press on power button after using phone before putting back in case. Guess this is what they intended, but would prefer long press on red handset key to lock a la E200. Not sure how to propose unlock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, this is weird. Didn't know what you lot were talking about until I played about with mine (M500 came this morning - weeeeee!) but having the whole thing unlock after a missed call or text is pure madness... Am waiting on this thread! :)

Guest Xenzo1990

Yer... Does your phone keypad unlock aswell? What a messup. You'de had thing they would have fixed that. Well they will in a patch, no doubt they know, they probably knew before shipping it to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bretto

After a lengthy look at this I have come to the conclusion that there is no way I can do this as the tools at my disposal will not let me control the touchscreen.

Guest tonijj
After a lengthy look at this I have come to the conclusion that there is no way I can do this as the tools at my disposal will not let me control the touchscreen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh, thats not the news I was waiting for! I'v been waiting on this thread to pop up an app ;)

On the other hand, I shouldnt complain since I got no programming skills whatsoever and cant contribute in any way, sry guys, but hey, if you solve it, post it. :)

Guest dan13l

OK - I've written an app that might be of use ;)

You run it, it locks all the buttons. There are three buttons on screen, and after tapping them three times, one of them will randomly quit the app and restore the buttons. It runs full screen, so you can use the "x" to close it.

Does this sound useful? If so I can upload it :(

Hmm - ok, so my app isn't massively different to Delta lock :) I can still upload it, and it was still fun to code :D Its written using the .Net compact framework btw.

I might carry on playing and see if I can improve it now I've started though :D

Edited by dan13l

Guest tonijj
OK - I've written an app that might be of use ;)

You run it, it locks all the buttons. There are three buttons on screen, and after tapping them three times, one of them will randomly quit the app and restore the buttons. It runs full screen, so you can use the "x" to close it.

Does this sound useful? If so I can upload it :(

Hmm - ok, so my app isn't massively different to Delta lock  :) I can still upload it, and it was still fun to code :D Its written using the .Net compact framework btw.

I might carry on playing and see if I can improve it now I've started though :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, definetely upload it mate! Now, since you're gonna play around with it, would you mind looking into if you could either integrate or add a feature like Dockware, that is, when you look the keys, a blackscreen with calendar and time+date displays etc. ?

Cheers

Guest bretto

.net ! nice someone with the capability to control the touchpanel!

For sure upload the app but can I also get you to research stoping and starting the touchpanel? You should be able to do this using .net , or there might be the possibility for me to grab the h and lib file I need from you if you dont mind.

If you can control the touchpanel then there is no more need to use a full screen app. That is to say we will be able to see whats going on with the device when its locked.

Guest dan13l

OK, I'll look into controlling the touch panel. The only problem I have is I write in c# not c++, so it might limited what I can do. If it comes down to it I can get my head around c++, so I'll do my best :)

Guest dan13l

bretto - if you've got any pointers, or if you need some files from me, let me know and I'll try to help. I've been trying to get some information on turning the touch panel off, but can't seem to dig up much info :)

Guest bretto
bretto - if you've got any pointers, or if you need some files from me, let me know and I'll try to help. I've been trying to get some information on turning the touch panel off, but can't seem to dig up much info ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi dan13l

I think the info you will need is at MSDN here.

If you take a look at TouchPanelEnable and TouchPanelDisable you should be able to use .NET to control the touchpanel.

TouchPanelDisable is easy as there are no parameters to parse but TouchPanelEnable is a different beast.

Have fun! :)

Guest dan13l

OK, I've been doing some more playing.

Thanks for the link Bretto, I can't figure out how to call those methods though. I'm going to look into it a little more.

For now, I've enhanced what I had originally. It now displays a custom bitmap, and the time/date. I'm going to do a little more tweaking and then I'll post the exe here for you to have a play with.

Guest jim.mason

Will be interested to have a go when you upload it.

I am glad there are people out there willing and able to help out those who have not got the slightest idea about programming!!!

Keep up the good work

Jim

Guest dan13l

OK, here is the first release then :)

It doesn't lock the touchpad yet. I had a flash of inspiration earlier and I thought I'd use tpenable and tpdisable to handle locking the touchpad, but it appears to lock the buttons too (meaning there's no way to manually renable the touchpad).

Here's how it works at the moment:

Run the exe

The screen will display a padlock and a clock, and three buttons (1, 2, and 3).

If you place a background.jpg file of the right size in the install directory, the app will display that image instead of the built in padlock.

All hardware buttons are disabled at this point.

The first 3 button taps on 1, 2, or 3 are ignored, essentially.

After 3 taps, the "magic number" will quit the app. The magic number is represented by the number with brackets around it ( so "(1)" ).

Give it a test, and see if it does anything odd. It shouldn't do anything unpleasent to your device, but if it does, don't blame me ;)

Ideas:

Should the app cycle through all images in the install folder on a timer?

Should the number of ignored taps be configurable?

Is there a better way to quit the app? (ie drag something across the screen?)

Should I add some "disable screen" buttons, which launch tpdisable for a period of time?

I still intend to try to figure out a way to make my app disable the touch screen, but I need to do some more digging. Bretto - if you've got any more info, it'd be appreciated. My main problem is I don't know how to access the methods detailed on the msdn site - I don't think they're available through a dll.

Enjoy :(

ScreenLock_PPC.ARM.CAB

Guest bretto
OK, here is the first release then :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey dan13l I like it!

It also doesnt appear to have the flashing of the screen between the phone app and lock app like other do which is awesome.

Ideas:

Should the app cycle through all images in the install folder on a timer?

Should the number of ignored taps be configurable?

Is there a better way to quit the app? (ie drag something across the screen?)

Should I add some "disable screen" buttons, which launch tpdisable for a period of time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think a button to unlock with a timed messagebox to confirm the unlock would be ok? Also I think a hardware button with a confirmation hardware button is required especially if you lock the touchpanel. EG: press the red hardware button, messagebox pops up asking you to press another key (maybe the green button). If the green button is pressed before the timeout interval then everything unlocks, if not everything remains locked. Just a thought :(

For some reason on my jam the tpenable.exe and tpdisable.exe just lock up everything! :shock: On the xda2 they work as designed and only effect the touchscreen. Im wondering if these apps are even compatible with all devices.

I think all of the functions mentioned on msdn are available in touch.dll but finding info is very difficult like you say. Ill find my research and share what I have for sure ;)