Orange France release C500 Update (with WMP 10)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bluesmudge

Ok I sorted it now - i had to put in a version number above the french rom which wasn't the best way around it as its going back to Orange tommorrow - perhaps i could deny knowing anything about it ;)

EDIT Oh dear god it didn't update it left it the same

Edited by bluesmudge

Guest Pennan

The version number in some files for .NET Compact Framework indicates that this update includes .NET Compact Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3.

This might be interesting for developers to know.

Guest BigBlue007

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it...

If my (swiss) C500 has already been SIM-unlocked using the imei-check site, will this update re-enable the lock?

Guest ndwalsh

Has anyone tested the updated version with a BlueTooth car kit. the current phone is 150% at everything in my opinion, except under a blue tooth car kit... The caller always gets echo and feedback + hearing their own voice. this goes away if I mute the phone while they are talking.

Anyone else experience this?

nigel

Guest thedragonslair
It appears, according to French site Smart Expert, that Orange have released an update to the C500 (for French users only!)

Featuring a number of improvements (including Windows Media Player 10!), the download - tagged as version 4.2.2.1 - can be found here.

Upon downloading, the archive contains a changelog PDF and the RUU update itself.

As always, we recommend NOT installing this update on your device unless you own a French C500 handset!

I am still hearing there will NOT be a UK update for the C500, but hey, they don't tell me EVERYTHING! ;)

[Edit: Direct Download: http://www.orange-entreprises.com/public/o.../dl.php?id=1445]

[Edit 2: This update will NOT install on a standard Orange UK C500 without modification]

[Edit 3: After installing this rom on an orange uk c500 you cant unlock via imei-check.co.uk - squall]

P

post-1-1113924591_thumb.gif post-1-1113924620_thumb.gif post-1-1113924626_thumb.gif

post-1-1113924633_thumb.gif post-1-1113924640_thumb.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tried the update but unfortunetly the computer blue screened on me as it was just about to updade. Now when I reset the phone iam am stuck with with dreaded 3 colours and it will not boot any further.

Anybody know how to fix this or is the phone screwed?

Thanks

Mark

Guest dc_demand

All I-mate SP3 users >> This update also works on the I-mate SP3 !!

Only difference to the guide posted above, is that the device name should be 'SP3' instead of 'SPV C500' in NBFtool. Do that, and it works like a charm! (the joystick thing mentioned earlier doesn't seem to apply > it works without any problems).

I did notice though, that I can't get the phone to synchronize video with Media Center (or Media Player), it will only do audio. And it's not my computer, since my SDA Music sync's video without any problems.

Anyone else noticed this problem?

Guest merguez

well folks, i'm french and after some tests, it seems that our ROM has still some bugs...

Writing an SMS, the counter fails, it may say "80/2 messages" instead of "161/2 messages". buuug.jpg

ActiveSync has a lot of bugs via Bluetooth too, sometimes when you click on Connect via BT, it brings ConfigBTActiveSync up. The solution : turn off, turn on.

They changed the Silence Mode icon too, before it was a muted speaker, now it's like a PDA with vibration around it.

WMP10 creates a system folder in your SD card root, called MSMETADATA. Undeletable using the phone, you have to use a card reader from the PC.

And last, but unfortunately not at least ... IMPOSSIBLE TO DE-CERT via OTA Unlock !! French consumers have to call Orange Consumers Service to get them send a program to you, which works only with your IMEI.

Well i hope my comment will help ;-)

Writing an SMS, the counter fails, it may say "80/2 messages" instead of "161/2 messages".

Nah its cos you are using unicode charecters (which are double byte) to display the accents etc - without these it works as expected

Guest merguez
Nah its cos you are using unicode charecters (which are double byte) to display the accents etc - without these it works as expected

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

neeeeh neeeeeh nothing at all. try by yourself you will see.the "2 messages" can appear writing the 5th letter as it can appear writing the 96th.it is very random.

Edited by merguez

Guest dearsina

So for those of us that keep our music and films way clear of WMP (most of us I presume), is it any point upgrading to this new version, and go through a couple of days of setup-hell all over again (GPRS settings, software-unlock, etc, etc), besides the pub-factor ("look what I got mate")?

6 pages of forum posts and only one actually has remotely dealt with what's so great about this upgrade, but in it, Paul only mentions the Media Center business, what about for the rest of us? Any selling points?

sina

london

/not convinced this is the new sliced bread — yet

Guest darnovitz
some inprovements but its not exceptional

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just four questions, based upon my C500 is currently being used in the U.S., by me:

1. If I used a software application originally which I paid for, to SIM Unlock, "c500v2unlock" is the file name of the unlocking application; with this work for the U.S. (I am currently using my TMobile SIM card, with an UK Orange C500, perfectly)?

2. Would I be required to unlock the phone again?

3. If so, could I reuse the original unlocking software?

4. I'm guessing if it takes the ROM update, it will obviously reformat the unit, losing the stored data, forcing me to create a completely new partnership/name of a partnership, to synchronize with my computer(s), to restore my data. Am I correct?

Guest darnovitz
,Apr 19 2005, 20:36]They're all rubbish anyway... all you need is http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm - just about the only decent mobile site ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just four questions, based upon my C500 is currently being used in the U.S., by me:

1. If I used a software application originally which I paid for, to SIM Unlock, "c500v2unlock" is the file name of the unlocking application; with this work for the U.S. (I am currently using my TMobile SIM card, with an UK Orange C500, perfectly)?

2. Would I be required to unlock the phone again?

3. If so, could I reuse the original unlocking software?

4. I'm guessing if it takes the ROM update, it will obviously reformat the unit, losing the stored data, forcing me to create a completely new partnership/name of a partnership, to synchronize with my computer(s), to restore my data. Am I correct?

Paul, feel free to email me directly.

Edited by darnovitz

Guest Cylon

For the USA SMT 5600, do you still get functionality on all three network frequencies? I thought it would not utilize the 850...

Any more input from US SMT 5600 users who installed this?

OR, anyone know where we can get a US update for C500 / SMT 5600?

Thanks,

Cylon

Guest florin_m

If the phone has been unlocked, flashing it will NOT relock your phone.

A small warrning for the users which modifyed the header and flash their phone with the french rom: YOU CAN'T CHANGE the firmware AGAIN (downgrade back) as the NEW ROM has a extra firmware verification feature (even if u modify the header, or even change bootloader version, the rom it will not be flashed as the rom's seems to be from now "signed" and any modifications to it will be detected!!!

Anyway, the users which allready unlock it, can flash it back and forward no problem ;) (sombody else please run some tests and please confirm this as i don't want you to bealive that i make advertise for myself!!!)

Guest squall
For the USA SMT 5600, do you still get functionality on all three network frequencies?  I thought it would not utilize the 850...

Any more input from US SMT 5600 users who installed this?

OR, anyone know where we can get a US update for C500 / SMT 5600?

Thanks,

Cylon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i understand the bands are hardware limited.

and as far as i know there is no updates released for smt5600

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.