Orange France release C500 Update (with WMP 10)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

NEWSFLASH: UK UPDATE IMMINENT! CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

It appears, according to French site Smart Expert, that Orange have released an update to the C500 (for French users only!)

Featuring a number of improvements (including Windows Media Player 10!), the download - tagged as version 4.2.2.1 - can be found here.

Upon downloading, the archive contains a changelog PDF and the RUU update itself.

As always, we recommend NOT installing this update on your device unless you own a French C500 handset!

I am still hearing there will NOT be a UK update for the C500, but hey, they don't tell me EVERYTHING! ;)

P

[Edit: Direct Download: http://www.orange-entreprises.com/public/o.../dl.php?id=1445]

[Edit 2: This update will NOT install on a standard Orange UK C500 without modification]

[Edit 3: After installing this rom on an orange uk c500 you cant unlock via imei-check.co.uk - squall]

post-1-1113924591_thumb.gif post-1-1113924620_thumb.gif post-1-1113924626_thumb.gif

post-1-1113924633_thumb.gif post-1-1113924640_thumb.gif

Guest squall

Ok it does work., flashed without any problems.

First thing i did was to change language:

to change language:

left soft key, 4, 9, 6

it does have english!

also has: dansk, dutch, spannish, italian and german

Also can confirm it has the new version of media player!

Guest confused and hungover
This update DOES NOT flash onto English devices that have not been unlocked by IMEI-Check.

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so er... bottom line. is it worth doing?

Guest Paul [MVP]

Depends...

This is a French update, and is not meant for non-French devices.

I have just flashed it onto a UK C500 (LOCKED) by using 'TyphoonNBFTool, but obviously this is not for the faint hearted.

If you DO have a French device, then of course, do it ;)

P

Guest confused and hungover

think i'll see how things develop... pro's cons etc... see which way the winds blowing, know what i mean, wink wink, nudge nudge

Guest brykins
This update DOES NOT flash onto English devices that have not been unlocked by IMEI-Check.

Sorry - I'm not sure if I understand. I have my phone unlocked from the web site (the one that charged me £20 to do it) and also application unlocked via the bit of software that Orange sent me via email on my request.

( a ) is my phone "unlocked by IMEI-Check"?

( b ) will this rom upgrade re-apply the application lock

( c ) if it does get re-locked, will the unlock app that Orange sent me still work

( d ) are there any other improvements (speed/extra functions/etc) other than a new Windows Media player?

( e ) what's so good about WM10 that everyone seems to be willing to kill for it?

Thanks,

Bryan.

Edited by brykins

Guest mupwangle

>>TyphoonNBFTool

How does one do that then? Is it likely to shaft it? (Mine isn't imei unlocked - just the normal app unlock and what have you)

What's the best method for backing up the phone? And if you screw it with the update can you flash the 4.1.1.4 rom back on it?

Cheers

Guest squall
>>TyphoonNBFTool

How does one do that then?  Is it likely to shaft it?  (Mine isn't imei unlocked - just the normal app unlock and what have you)

What's the best method for backing up the phone?  And if you screw it with the update can you flash the 4.1.1.4 rom back on it?

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this guide is not step by step, but see http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=204498

Guest Peter Foot
I am still hearing there will NOT be a UK update for the C500, but hey, they don't tell me EVERYTHING! ;)

Thats promising, maybe there is still some hope, however Orange France have previously released a v1.72 update for the m1000 which never got released in the UK :D

Guest mupwangle
Bottom line here guys: if you DONT understand what is being talked about here, DONT even attempt it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but where's the fun in that! ;-D

It's my birthday soon - if I break it I can try and get my wife to buy me the jam!

Guest SIMfree

1 ) Download TyphoonNBFTool from http://www.spv-developers.com/content/TyphoonNbfTool.zip

2 ) Download the update from the URL above

3 ) Download WINRAR from http://www.RARSoft.com

4 ) Extract the update EXE from the Update Archive you just downloaded

5 ) Right Click the EXE (after installing WINRAR), and extract it to a directory - you should see a number of files, including NK.NBF.

6 ) Run TyphoonNBFTool, and open the NK.NBF File (using File-Open)

7 ) Click 'Tools-Edit Header Data' and remove the value in 'Operator' field

8 ) Click File-Save As and overwrite the existing nk.nbf file

9 ) Run the update EXE, hey presto, sorted

1 ) Download TyphoonNBFTool from http://www.spv-developers.com/content/TyphoonNbfTool.zip

2 ) Download the update from the URL above

3 ) Download WINRAR from http://www.RARSoft.com

4 ) Extract the update EXE from the Update Archive you just downloaded

5 ) Right Click the EXE (after installing WINRAR), and extract it to a directory - you should see a number of files, including NK.NBF.

6 ) Run TyphoonNBFTool, and open the NK.NBF File (using File-Open)

7 ) Click 'Tools-Edit Header Data' and remove the value in 'Operator' field

8 ) Click File-Save As and overwrite the existing nk.nbf file

9 ) Run the update EXE, hey presto, sorted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone else tried this way of doing it - is the final step running 'ROMUpdateUtility.exe' ? - to actually flash the rom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.