Orange France release C500 Update (with WMP 10)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cypherkin

Hello,

I have a UK Orange, SPV 500 and have been using it for last few months. I belive it is completely unlocked as I am allowed to use this in both US and Asia. Now I was just wondering what this update is for, and if I can update. As far as i saw on the thread so far, everyone seems to be aruging about wether it works on UK C500 or not. I do have it, so I want to know if it will work so that I can upgrade it. I definitly would like wmp10 on mine. Should I just wait for some time before I decide to try this??

Thanks,

Cypherkin

Guest twonk
No one seems to have asked the question - Can you Sync WMP10 files over BT with this version?

With the old version you had to use USB which is a pain. If you can then it ould be worth me doing the uppgrade (if I get my phone repaired!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This certainly COULDN'T be done with the audiovox rom that has WMP10. syncing through WMP10 on the PC had to be done through USB - I even tried using Actisync version 4 to get WMP10 syncing though BT, but it didnt make any difference.

I noticed that someone earlier in the thread posted about the bluetooth serial port changes too. The BT SerialPortSetup option has gone from the Congfigurations folder, and there is now a COM port option as part of the Menu in the Settings - Bluetooth. On my original orange rom 4.1.1.4, and on the Audiovox rom (that i've been using recently), I had no problems getting TomTom to work with my non-TomTom BT GPS receiver, but with this new Orange ROM, I simply can't get it to work. I spent several hours last night trying, but everytime, the GPSR is deleted from the list of paired devices, and TomTom would not connect. (I tried renaming the device, setting up inbound and outbound COM ports with secured and unsecured connections.) On switching back to the original Orange ROM, everything worked without a hitch.

Oh well, am just waiting for Orange to send me the Certificate Security disable application now, since the website always seems to claim that it can't find my IMEI. (It used to.)

Andy.

Guest Pondrew

Did folks pay attention to Paul and Florin?

If you update to the French rom by editing the header and using the typhoon tool you WILL NOT be able to change rom again. That means the next time a major advance is introduced in a new rom you WON'T be able to try it. (unless something new is discovered)

Surprised people are still considering going down this dead end rather then using IMEI-check...

Guest cold_fire
on looking at it today it does feel more responsive, and camera refresh rates a little higher.

still cant app unlock though :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finally managed to update to french rom and app unlock using Orange's IMEI based application . ;)

Hi guys ...

i'm wondering ... i just did the upgrade for this frensh rom thingy. It worked fine. But when Orange comes with a new update you say i wont be able to use that. why is that ... cant i just upgrade to an older rom and then use the new ? ..

explain - i have never heard of a non-upgradable udpdate :-)

- AWP

Guest cold_fire
Hi guys ...

i'm wondering ... i just did the upgrade for this frensh rom thingy. It worked fine. But when Orange comes with a new update you say i wont be able to use that. why is that ... cant i just upgrade to an older rom and then use the new ? ..

explain - i have never heard of a non-upgradable udpdate :-)

- AWP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just upgraded as well but i have no worry if there were guys smart enough to "make the update available" for all there will b guys smart enough to deal with that . ;)

Edited by cold_fire

Guest Pondrew

As mentioned above and explained by Florin earlier in the thread, any devices upgraded by using the typhoon tool and editing the device info will not allow the change back. Apparently the new French rom includes security features that prevent that method from working anymore.

Those that have SIM unlocked their device through IMEI-check are unaffected.

Guest zamo_x
Does the new ROM update solve the dust issue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yesss.. they have implemented a special technology to make lcd destroy dust particles

Guest Dean123

Just flashed my device with this ROM. Restored all my files with sprite backup, it errored at the end... but i think thats because of the app lock. Just emailed the applock guys for the program to unlock it.

One small notice. My custom home screen now displays the 3 letter day in french eg 'Mi' for today..... anyone know how to change this?

Guest cold_fire
yesss.. they have implemented a special technology to make lcd destroy dust particles

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) :D :D Nice one ,i managed to do it .Thx for the help.It works for the moment.

Guest cold_fire
Just flashed my device with this ROM. Restored all my files with sprite backup, it errored at the end... but i think thats because of the app lock. Just emailed the applock guys for the program to unlock it.

One small notice. My custom home screen now displays the 3 letter day in french eg 'Mi' for today..... anyone know how to change this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try in Settings/Regional settings set the language to your preference and the Locales as well.

Edited by cold_fire

Guest bluesmudge

Ok i can confirm the following:

The french ROM will not back date - If your phone is still in warranty please think twic (see my posts in this thread to see what my story is - believe me i didn't sleep well last night)

I would like to know the following:

In my time panicing with my phone - i neglected to check if WMP 10 still has the annoying pause at the begging of the track - can some one tell me if its gone?

If orange UK release the ROM update - will i be able to move from french to english ? I know it seems pointless but at least when i have to reset the phone nothing will be french. - especially useful on the move.

Guest mmbecks7
Did folks pay attention to Paul and Florin?

If you update to the French rom by editing the header and using the typhoon tool you WILL NOT be able to change rom again. That means the next time a major advance is introduced in a new rom you WON'T be able to try it. (unless something new is discovered)

Surprised people are still considering going down this dead end rather then using IMEI-check...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Does it mean that the update tool will work without using the typhoon tool for those people who have their phone unlocked with IMEI-check??

Guest fubuk88

is there a way of unlocking the phone after the french update has been put on the phone so that you can re-install the UK firmware?????????? plz help!!!!

Guest mkent_barbados

On my SP3i I don't get a ding when I insert a contact, but I do get a god-awful "DING" when I hold down # to get a symbol when writing....I hate it!!!

Guest Pondrew
is there a way of unlocking the phone after the french update has been put on the phone so that you can re-install the UK firmware?????????? plz help!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you've used the typhoon tool (editing the header): no, at least, not until some clever person (certainly won't be me!) works out how.

Guest RossDargan
If you've used the typhoon tool (editing the header): no, at least, not until some clever person (certainly won't be me!) works out how.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so whats the other way for installing this update on a bog standard uk c500?

Guest twonk
Ok, so whats the other way for installing this update on a bog standard uk c500?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pay the £20 fee and sim unlock your phone (using IMEI-check.com), then you can simply run the update .exe that you download from the orange site.

Andy

Guest PayableOnDeath

yay WMP 10 for C500

Now all we need to do is get all uk members to Email Orange asking them when the UK update is comming out ;)

I for one wont be updating to French Ver well maybe not yet

I think if all email orange about a uk update they will see the demand and give us the update :D :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.