Best ebook reader

Guest KenM

I've been using Acrobat Reader 2 on my XdaIIi for a few days. It's not bad, but title pages are difficult to read, there are quite a few blank pages, sometimes there are odd line breaks and there's no bookmarks or search, or if there is I haven't found it yet. I'm wondering if there's a better reader out there. My guess is that most Pocket PC owners will have tried both Adobe and MS, which is best? Or is there an alternative e-book reader that's better then either of them?

Guest fraser
I've been using Acrobat Reader 2 on my XdaIIi for a few days. It's not bad, but title pages are difficult to read, there are quite a few blank pages, sometimes there are odd line breaks and there's no bookmarks or search, or if there is I haven't found it yet. I'm wondering if there's a better reader out there. My guess is that most Pocket PC owners will have tried both Adobe and MS, which is best? Or is there an alternative e-book reader that's better then either of them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I almost flat-out to give Adobe the time of day. Their buggy PDF reader on the PC has locked up and crashed my browser too many times, so it got removed. If companies cannot provide information in a readable format, then they don't get my business. Likewise if you code your content site in flash. And now these two companies have merged!!

I quite like uBook reader. Where the "u" is actually the greek letter used in engineering for "micro". It seems to display most books well, has a lot of appearance options, and I've found a setup I can read really easilly.

• 3 months later...
Guest vijay555

I love isilox/isilo. Very nice webgrabber, converts text well, compacts up jpgs all into one nice package. Works full screen and is widely compatible.

Otherwise, I'd user Starbuck from Thumb. Very old, but cleanest interface (ie non!) and also loads ebooks from zips.

Vijay

• 3 years later...
Guest Neil5459
Bumping the poll

B)

I think the progress in the WM market has made the poll a little lacking now!

MS Reader has major problems with WM6 (or at least it did, not sure if it was fixed!)

Mobipocket has come on by leaps and bounds; uBook is good for non-DRM books, iSilo and eReader also have their fans B)

Mobipocket is my choice!

• 1 month later...
Guest barking sane
i use the palm ebook reader

as i have loads of pdb books :rolleyes:

Me too. Works well on the Omnia and the latest free version includes autoscroll. You don't want to rotate your screen while a book is open though...

Guest theroadwarrior
i use the palm ebook reader

as i have loads of pdb books :rolleyes:

later

Owen

I also use ebook reader, like its simplicity, speed, like that you can change pages by simply clicking the screen. Hate the way MS reader doesnt use the whole screen.

There are also free utils that turn txt or ms ebook format into pdb files.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest travelbug
I can't believe that nobody mentioned Foxit PDF reader yet.

tsk tsk tsk

fox it is the best pdf reader out there for the pc and the winmo platforms

super fast super stable and the winmo version is touch friendly

i great company imho

• 4 weeks later...
Guest banderdragon
I also use ebook reader, like its simplicity, speed, like that you can change pages by simply clicking the screen. Hate the way MS reader doesnt use the whole screen.

There are also free utils that turn txt or ms ebook format into pdb files.

+1 ftw. I love PeanutPress (now eReader)

• 1 month later...
Guest Defluo
I think the progress in the WM market has made the poll a little lacking now!

MS Reader has major problems with WM6 (or at least it did, not sure if it was fixed!)

Mobipocket has come on by leaps and bounds; uBook is good for non-DRM books, iSilo and eReader also have their fans :excl:

Mobipocket is my choice!

Tried almost anything on the board and µbook is actually my favorite.

Have had the Samsung Omnia for a few weeks now (love it, love it, love it! Was worth the wait) finely a new PDA after partner killed my beloved Dell Axim30.

After downloading a comic book reader, I needed to find a good eBook reader. I mainly have books saved under PDF or TXT formats and I have quite a few of them scattered around. I was looking for a program that did what the iPhone "Classics" does. After reading a lot of reviews I realized that was not going to happen. I wanted something the "flicked" pages "side ways" and even thought the µbook does not let you "flick" the page with your finger, you can tap it very easily. on a good note, while the classic actually wastes time on the page flicking animation, the µbook doesn't, as it "flicks" immediately. Upon scouting the µbook forum, I discovered that there is actually a settings you can change to just flick with the cursor or finger. see discussion here http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/ubook-off...html#post193025

I found the µbook managed to load my books very easily (I just dumped them in my eBooks folder) and it even displays the cover upon request. (corny I know, but I actually like to have that option)

I LOVE the fact that you have a lot of control as far as configuration goes and there are also a lot of skins around. It has an in-build dictionary (very handy for us non-English speakers). You can choose the font, sizes, sharpness, color and even reverse colors (font in white background in black for example) for when you are reading in bed and don't want to keep the partner up.. :excl: you can even chose whether you would like to see a page percentage or page numbers.

Needless to say, you can choose to jump to a particular page no. Most importantly - It has an option to have a full screen (other then the tiny bottom menu) option. and it just looks simple and great. Hallelujah!

To cut it short I am just very very happy.

I was getting very frustrated with all the other readers (mobipocket, ereader, peanut, you name it!) because none of them managed to open a simple TXT file. Call me stupid call me silly or just a plain idiot, but I just could not get any of them to work easily. Maybe it's my female brain. We were never meant to play with gadgets, us women.. :excl:

You do need to play around for a little bit but that is always a good thing

Lite version is free on http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBookLite_main.html#download

It even has a book appearance skin -http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_extras.html

or for direct download- http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_skin_AM_eBook.zip