MDA Compact - Shall I?

Guest JampoTT

Guest JampoTT

I've been offered an excellent package (free MDA Compact, plus 400 minutes, 500 texts and 55mb GPRS per month, for under £60) which will save me money on my current Orange contract.

I'm used to a C500 and have had the E200 and SPV before it. I also have an Ipaq 4150 which is used (with WiFi and a HP folding keyboard) at home in the lounge for MSN whilst I'm watching telly etc.

I want to converge the devices, but until now haven't really been able to. The XDA / MDA range has been too big to use as a phone.

I wanted:

1) Wifi

2) TomTom

3) MSN

4) SMS / MMS

With the 55mb GPRS package, I no longer need WiFi for MSN...

My only issue is, can I get used to the touchscreen (and no keyboard) of the Compact versus both the C500 keyboard AND the HP Keyboard for the Ipaq.

What sort of battery life can I expect? Similar to C500 or better / worse?

Does anyone make a fullsize keyboard which I can rest the MDA Compact on and (like the HP) connect the power charger too?

Does anyone use a BT keyboard (and if so, which one) - and where / how do you stand the device up so you can see both the screen and keyboard if you aren't on a desk?

I can go and get the phone TOMORROW if I can guarantee it'll meet my needs - but I need some people's real world experiences and feedback before I can really choose.

If anyone can point me towards a good case / keyboard etc I'd be very grateful.

Guest JampoTT

BTW - I do send about 500 texts a month and use a fair amount of MSN so text entry is VERY important. My combination of Ipaq and C500 have worked fine for both (although I'm wearing the keys of the C500 very quickly!)

Real world - how good is the MDA Compact for text entry? I'm aware it can't be used "one handed" and this is perhaps its biggest drawback.

Guest rhedgehog

The MDA cpmpact can indeed be used one handed, with the Intellipad that comes installed on it.

I use it myself and have had no problems with using it once I adjusted to the way it works.

Guest MitchellO

Yeah, the phonepad is good for one handed operation, and MSN and SMS. But, if you like your keyboard I would suggest you look into either an IR or even better a bluetooth keyboard for the MDA Compact. that way you don't really give up anything! And, you can type out SMS on the keyboard!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robinlondon
The MDA cpmpact can indeed be used one handed, with the Intellipad that comes installed on it.

I use it myself and have had no problems with using it once I adjusted to the way it works.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, that sounds a good price? Do you mind sharing who is doing that price? I can't decide (ok I know I want it) if I need the copilot too.

Best I got was Free handset, 400 minutes (6 months double), 55mb etc £61 (4 months 1/2 price) and they are in stock ;)

http://www.redstarphones.co.uk/860_T-Mobil...%20Compact.html

or with the COPILOT the same deal but without the 6 months 1/2 price

http://www.redstarphones.co.uk/861_T-Mobil...%20CoPilot.html

On another thread here someone told me the i-mate jam is the same. Now I've confused...

Robin

Guest MitchellO

The iMate JAM/XDA II Mini/Qtek s100 are the same as the MDA Compact, just with a different package, a few different accessories and a different ROM (customised by each company). The devices are the same.

I have read though that the s100 has a 2 year warranty.

Guest thereaperman
The iMate JAM/XDA II Mini/Qtek s100 are the same as the MDA Compact, just with a different package, a few different accessories and a different ROM (customised by each company). The devices are the same.

I have read though that the s100 has a 2 year warranty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what i did was get the phone free on 18month contract(6months double txt) at 25.00 a month, got a bluetooth gps from ebay £53.00 incl del. and a sd wifi card(got free with the phone, there about £75.00 for scandisk with 256mb storage)

and have not looked back, the c500 is a good phone but this is ten times better.

i use it in my car for gps, and a mp3 player, tho the car hifi work a treat ;)