PC Problem > Inbound UDP service: bootps

Guest yoos

So I was browsing the net the other day and received 4 viruses very quickly. I immediately ran Norton and got rid of the 4 viruses, but the Norton security alert now keeps on saying "Inbound UDP service: bootps" every 20-50 seconds?!?! I rebooted several times, reran virus scan several times, ran 4 different spyware programs (some of them several times and all definitions were up to date), took off all the strange looking startup items in msconfig and I STILL get these security alerts every 20-50 seconds! I searched the net too and couldn't find anything that made sense to me.

Anyone have any input/advice on how to fix this and what this is????

Here's the log in Norton (I really don't even understand what this is saying):

Rule "Inbound UDP service: bootps" blocked (169.254.76.155,bootps(67)).  Details:

Inbound UDP packet

Local address,service is (255.255.255.255,bootps(67))

Remote address,service is (169.254.76.155,bootpc(68))

Process name is "N/A"

Here are the original viruses I had (and I don't recall seeing any of these alerts until I received this):

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:19:50, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ULJ4HOFI\counter[1].htm

is infected with the Download.Trojan virus.

Unable to repair this file.

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:19:50, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ULJ4HOFI\counter[1].htm

Access to the file was denied.

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:19:52, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RUO3FLCT\exploit[1].htm

is infected with the MHTMLRedir.Exploit virus.

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RUO3FLCT\exploit[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8JRNEKPH\loader6[1].htm

is infected with the JS.Downloader.Trojan virus.

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8JRNEKPH\loader6[1].htm

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:19:54, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\loader1[1].jar

is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\loader1[1].jar

is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1FNN5PCE\web2[1].htm

is infected with the Trojan.Adwareloader virus.

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1FNN5PCE\web2[1].htm

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:20:28, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UVMRYLEF\counter[1].htm

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:20:28, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UVMRYLEF\counter[1].htm

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:20:30, mike on XXXPC

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KDIRK1UN\exploit[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KDIRK1UN\exploit[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2P5EU3H2\loader6[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2P5EU3H2\loader6[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S9E70HMN\web2[1].htm

The file

C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S9E70HMN\web2[1].htm

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 19:36:46, mike on XXXPC

Virus scan started.

Date: 4/28/2005, Time: 20:24:06, mike on XXXPC

The compressed file GetAccess.class within C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\classload[1].jar is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

The file was quarantined.

The compressed file InsecureClassLoader.class within C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\classload[1].jar is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

The compressed file Dummy.class within C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\classload[1].jar is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

The compressed file Installer.class within C:\Documents and Settings\mike\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QPHURM5S\classload[1].jar is infected with the Trojan.ByteVerify virus.

Edited by yoos

Guest mupwangle

I once counted how many alerts I got from zonealarm in an evening and I think it was around 1500.

To be honest I reckon that it is a windows messenger message (not to be confused with MSN messenger). Messenger is for lan's so that the server or administrator can send messages to PCs warning them of system shutdowns, issues and whatever. In recent years spammers have been using them to send spam directly to your screen. Really bloody annoying. Also it looks like a proper windows message so people are often tricked into it.

Update - OK, I'm wrong. I'll leave what I posted up above as it is useful to know, but your particular message is normal for broadband. Apparently (and I didn't know this) is that is just requests for IP addresses being broadcast to other computers on the network - since they don't yet have an IP it has to be broadcast.

Just tell norton to stop telling you.

Edit : This is quite a useful site to look at. Some of it is a bit techie but it tells you what all the port numbers mean... http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_file...ewall-seen.html

Edited by mupwangle