where to get downloads if not imate member

Guest p1tse

Guest p1tse

ok, kinda fed up of the imate jam out of stock or prices too high at some places, so the MDA compact or Qtek 100 is the option, and being the same, but with no imate jam membership, is there anywhere to find decent priced downloads, especially games?

which order would you pick the following:

MDA compact, Qtek100, Imate Jam and why?

as for me:

1) Imate jam - because membership

2) Qtek 100 - 2 yrs warranty

3) MDA compact - cos doesn't have the above and locked

but my options are if not imate jam:

a) Qtek 100 free: £30/moth orange ovp 200mins+50txt

;) MDA compact £45: £27/month Tmobile promo 200mins+200text

c) wait for the Imate jam with same tariff as a) as i think the imate jam is going to be good long term

Guest is2005

You can get a free Jam on Vodafone from Expansys with 18 months contract.

The imate club membership is useful, you can save 3 or 4 dollras(£2 ?) on few games and utilities (only few ) but that is it, I find myself going to PocketGear.com to buy the software I need because it is not available on Imate club, for me their downloads are not worth much, you can browse them for yourself on their website as a guest.

Imate however offers usually it's customers the latest roms, if you use other languages other than English (arabic for example) they will offer you some third party utilities for free to enable you to use that language on your device.

I do not know much about Qtek but MDA compact comes with very old rom ( the first that came out), although you can upgrade it yourself

Guest p1tse

hi

thanks

PocketGear.com pretty cool stuff.

i'm swaying towards the qtek then as imate jam is not available.

excuse my novice knowledge, but what's this ROM business and why are newer ones better, what does it do?

thanks

Guest Confucious
oh yeah i don't want voda cos am on voda at the mo, and want to port my number

ROM is Read Only Memory - it's what controls the phone. Operators release new ROMs to fix bugs and add new features. You should (as a general rule) always use the latest ROM for the phone you have. Although you can in some cases install ROMs from other operators (eg MDA ROM on JAM) this is usually not advisable unless you know what you are doing and which features you will gain/lose.

As for Voda - if you get another voda then just get a PAYG SIM from another operator, port out to that then port back in to Voda.

HTH

Guest MitchellO

I think some would like installing a jAM rom on ones like the MDA Compact because the JAM roms are unbranded. I intend to update my xda ii mini to the latest (1.11) qtek s100 rom.

Guest Confucious
I think some would like installing a jAM rom on ones like the MDA Compact because the JAM roms are unbranded. I intend to update my xda ii mini to the latest (1.11) qtek s100 rom.

This is fine if you know what you are doing but probably not advisable for someone who does not even know what a ROM is ;)

Guest p1tse

so the qtek will have one of the most up to date roms cool.

but now that's an idea, i've never heard of, port my original voda number to a different network pay as you go and then back to voda, very cool. can someone confirm this?

Guest MitchellO
This is fine if you know what you are doing but probably not advisable for someone who does not even know what a ROM is ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely. This sort of this isn't for someone new to it. Only do it if you are confident if you know what you are doing, and what do do if you run into trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Confucious
Thats cool info, I am thinking of getting MDA Compact, where can I get updates for it and how?

An MDA compact is not a Smartphone it's a PPC - Try posting in the correct forum.

[Edit] Why do you think my title is "Peanut Brain" - I am sure this was in a Smartphone forum and I double checked befoe I posted. I think I am going / have gone mad!

Me Bad

Me Sorry

[/Edit]

Edited by Confucious

Guest Pondrew
An MDA compact is not a Smartphone it's a PPC - Try posting in the correct forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh? This is a Pocket PC forum!