AotW: NewsBreak

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

AotW: NewsBreak

This week's app is NewsBreak from Ilium Software, a RSS feed reader for Smartphone.

I have a huge catalogue of sites I like to keep up with, so a RSS feed reader is essential for me... and i've found NewsBreak fits my needs very well.

ChannelList.pnggizhdl.pngBeckhamBBC.png

headlines.pngGizmodo.pngBBC.png

As is traditional now with AotW, we've tracked down Ellen Craw from Ilium Software to give us the lowdown ;)

Hi Ellen and thanks for speaking to MoDaCo! Please introduce yourself!

I'm the General Manager of Ilium Software. We've been developing and selling applications for various mobile devices for almost 8 years. We've seen an amazing amount of hardware in that time!

Describe NewsBreak in your own words

NewsBreak is a quick and easy way to keep up with news, info and blogs. There's so much information available now, it's a continual struggle for everyone to keep up-to-date. NewsBreak lets users get updates wirelessly. Features like alerts and keywords really help you keep updated on the info you're most interested in.

What makes NewsBreak worth buying above other Smartphone applications?

For anyone who wants to keep up on news, blogs and other information, NewsBreak is the best option. NewsBreak is optimized for wireless connections - it shows you headlines from sources you've chosen, and lets you choose which stores you want more detail on. It also lets you update your info while you're connected, but then read it anywhere. It's been called "brilliant", "well-implemented" and "groundbreaking" in several reviews (links are on our site at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/nb_reviews.htm).

But people who are interested don't have to take our word for it - we have a free, unrestricted 30-day trial version available on our website.

What can we expect to see next from Ilium Software?

I'm always very reluctant to talk about our plans for the future. Plans and circumstances always change, and we don't want to be in a position of selling vaporware. So all I'll say is to keep an eye on our website, as well as on our own NewsBreak feed, and watch for announcements.

I'd like to thank Ellen for her contribution, and remember, you can download a free trial of NewsBreak here!

;)

P

Guest rekall

I tried this and while it works well I could not find any easy way to input the RSS feed address from my PC - it takes ages on the phone. I edited the XML file directly but kept receiving errors when trying to use it. Any ideas anyone? Cheers

Guest chucky.egg

There is a Modaco RSS feed, but it's a well kept secret.

http://www.modaco.com/ssi.php?a=out&f={you...posts}&type=rss

If you do a search for modaco.com/ssi.php you should find a thread, and it'll tell you more about the settings

While I'm here... Good opportunity to remind Paul about the Mobile version of Modaco and a bit more info in the RSS feed please pretty please ;)

Guest nickcornaglia

Newsbreak has to be one of the most used programs on my jam next to the pim apps. My eyes have been opened to Newsfeeds. I'm addicted to the overflow of information.

I read all of the relevant Smartphone/PPC sites, Local TV/Newspaper newsfeeds, I even get the local obituaries just so I can edit my Christmas Card list. ;)

Guest motorolampx200

Xfiles how did you activate update with activesync my phone keeps updating through gprs?!

Hmmm just read the help file and deleted all other default channels, this should do the trick ;)

Edited by motorolampx200

Guest motorolampx200

Strange application I want it to update news without gprs however this doesnt seem to work, and what further strange my mobile isnt charging up anymore because of this program it thinks that his battery is fully charged????

Program has potential but I find it hard to use.

does anyone have the solution?

Guest chucky.egg

If your phone isn't charging when it's attached to your PC then it may be that ActiveStink isn't recognising your phone/connection.... which would also explain why you can't update feeds via passthru

Guest motorolampx200
If your phone isn't charging when it's attached to your PC then it may be that ActiveStink isn't recognising your phone/connection.... which would also explain why you can't update feeds via passthru

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I figured it out already I had too many usb devices connected to my laptop therefore the voltage wasn't sufficient and my phone switched to non charging mode after I removed a few devices it works again ;)

But I still cant get newsbreak to update through activesync and not gprs, I think I have to change some setting on my phone regarding dataconnections (dataverbindingen)?

I have a proxy server on my work internet connection maybe that causes problems?

Edited by motorolampx200

Guest Ilium Software
I figured it out already I had too many usb devices connected to my laptop therefore the voltage wasn't sufficient and my phone switched to non charging mode after I removed a few devices it works again ;)

But I still cant get newsbreak to update through activesync and not gprs, I think I have to  change some setting on my phone regarding dataconnections (dataverbindingen)?

I have a proxy server on my work internet connection maybe that causes problems?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for trying NewsBreak.

Tips on configuring your phone for ActiveSync pass through are here:

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/nb_supt1a.htm#pas2

Guest xfiles69
Xfiles how did you activate update with activesync my phone keeps updating through gprs?!

Hmmm just read the help file and deleted all other default channels, this should do the trick ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do I use NewsBreak when my Smartphone is connected to my PC?

In ActiveSync on your Windows PC, click on the Options button, then pick the Rules tab. Be sure the Passthrough connection is set to The Internet.

On your Smartphone, pick Settings, then Data Connections, then Internet Connections. Then pick Automatic from the window you see.

On your Smartphone, run Pocket Internet Explorer. Pick Options, then Connections. Then pick "Automatically detect

Edited by xfiles69