POP3 on MDA Compact

Guest En_croute

Guest En_croute

OK, I have two pop accounts. One normal ISP one, and one with Google mail.

The Messaging application on the MDA seems to behave differently wiht these two accounts.

With my ISP pop box, it's fine - down-loading new mails, ignoring the old ones.

With G-mail, any mails Archived in the Gmail interface seem to dissapear from the MDA Inbox when connecting - it's like an HTTP sync with Hotmail.

1. What is supposed to happen ?

2. When you delete on the MDA will it delete in the POP box, as there is no keep/delete option as per Outlook/Outlook Express.

Advice/Help/RTFM appreciated.

Guest bill door

generally with a pop3 mailbox you'll only see what is in the default "inbox" folder- if your email account auto archives the mail into a different directory, the Jam wont see it. Happens with my F2S email account every month ;)

If you delete locally, it shouldn't delete off the server though unless you've been fiddling with settings ;)

Guest En_croute
if your email account auto archives the mail into a different directory, the Jam wont see it. ..................If you delete locally, it shouldn't delete off the server though unless you've been fiddling with settings ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the Gmail, the MDA seems to remove mails that have been read and archived in Gmail. Normally POP3 ignores already downloded mails.

Deleted: Ah - so that's the default is it? In that case how are you supposed to clear your POP box without accessing the web?

With Outlook/OE you have the option to remove from server, leave permenently, leave for 5 days or leave until deleted from Deleted items.

Is the MDA default based on the assumption that you'll also access your POP from a full client on a PC ?

Does this make sense ?

Guest jfran

if deleted from deleted items on the Jam it will be deleted from server on next sync, however regarding gmail there are lots of conflicting reports regarding the autoarchiving of mails.

rgds

jim

Guest MitchellO

Same thing here. When I check my mail on my Mini, the emails come through (max 5kb headers, no attachments) and i can read, and reply to them. When I check on my PC, all the emails are downloaded from GMail. Next check on the mini and the inbox is empty (or some new messages). I find it good, as I only use it for checking my emails, not storing them.

Guest En_croute

The odd thing is Gmail has a POP setting, to keep/delete/Archive mails once read.

The MDA mail client seems to ignore this setting.

Guest jfran
The odd thing is Gmail has a POP setting, to keep/delete/Archive mails once read.

The MDA mail client seems to ignore this setting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not just the MDA client but all pop clients I have noticed this problem with gmail..

jim