HELP - M200 as a gateway for laptop / WiFi

Guest Phill2000star

Guest Phill2000star

OK,

Before we go further, Im not trying to connect my phone to my laptop as a dial-up or GPRS modem. Im not trying to get my M2000 to connect to a WiFi network to browse on the M2000. Im trying to get the M2000 to act as a link between the laptop and the WiFi network.

I have a PC upstairs with a wireless router, and my M2000 can browse it wherever in the house I am, or surf the net. My laptop I have donated to the missus, and she wants to use the net on it, but rarely leaves the front room (nice fireplace and cozy couch!). On the M2000 there is an app called "Wireless Modem" i think. When u open the program it says the M2000 can connect to the laptop via bluetooth, IR, USB etc and then connect to a WiFi source to let the laptop use wifi communicating through the M2000 via the methods just described.

But how the hell do u get it working?!

Lol...ive tried everything.

Has anyone been able to get this working?...

Cheers

:x

Guest fraser

The wireless modem basically allows a PC to initiate a GPRS connection by doing the dialing itself. I don't think you can use it to get the laptop on to WiFi. However, there is no technical reason why you could not do this, the software is just not up to it AFAIK. For the GPRS to work in this way, the phone needs to act as a router, which is what you are essentially trying to do.

Calling the app "Wireless Modem" on a device with WiFi is a little confusing. I had to check, but it actually refers to GPRS as wireless, not WiFi.

What with battery power, setup/init-connection hastles, you'd be as well just buying el-cheapo WiFi card for the laptop. The software to do this would be quite neat, but I don't see much of a demand for it as not many devices have WiFi, and a WiFi SDIO dongle costs way more than a laptop one.