GPRS must die

Guest KenM

Guest KenM

My Xda IIi has developed a habit of autodialling when it can't get a WiFi connection. Most disconcertingly, for no apparent reason it started trying to ActiveSync with a server, initiating a dial-up connection via GPRS every five minutes. I don't want to disable GPRS permanently, but I'm terrified I'm going to run up huge data charges from O2. Can I turn it off temporarily, or stop it autodialling. Anyone?

Ken

Guest Jay247

I know what you mean,

I've got the same worry about huge data charges. Hitting "cancel" the moment it dials helps for the time being. If you'd like to make GPRS temporarily unavailable, you can always do the following:

On the O2 Active Screen, click Tools - Connections, and select Post Pay GSM instead of GPRS. Now all outgoing dialled connections will be made with a simple data call, coming out of your free minutes package. If you want to use GPRS again, just select it with the same procedure.

I don't know how to stop it auto-dialling though I'm afraid.

Guest rickyburke

i was going to suggest the same kind of thing, just change something in your gprs settings so that it cant connect, but so that you can return it to its original status when you need to.

i've never really had a problem with it connecting in my pocket, so i can always see its happening and can stop it easily.

this is why i've never really looked into to stopping it happening. i'll have a look tonight and see if i can see a way to sort it permanently using dialling rules/exceptions etc.

Guest martinlaidlaw

Something I noticed yesterday, I received a photo message while my MDA3 was in my pocket, the device was in button locked mode but when I received the message it unlocked the buttons and had turned the screen on (as it does for texts etc.) but also had remained connected to GPRS!

Fortunately I hadn't pressed anything while it was in my pocket and acidentally done some covert browsing!

If you did disable GPRS would this stop you receiving MMS messages also? or are these separate settings?

Guest jfran

settings may be separate depending on the MMS configurations, anyway if your device tries to connect every so often, in activesync options, pc synchronisation, uncheck use mobile scheduling to sync with this PC and that should stop the device trying to connect to the server....

rgds

jim

Guest xtyalis

I was worried that my M2000 might create crazy GPRS bills -- say for instance if I accidentally left an auto-refreshing web page open.

I mainly use WiFi at home and work for internet connection with the M2000, so I've switched off GPRS as follows.

In Settings -> Connections tab -> Connections -> Advanced tab -> Select Networks -- change the setting "Programs that connect automatically to the internet should connect using..." Changed this from from "Orange World" to "Local wireless network". (I've also done this for the setting "Programs that connect automatically to a private network should connect using...")

I switch it back to "Orange World" temporarily only when I actively want to use GPRS to surf the web. (I assume there is an O2 equivalent to the Orange World setting on XDA's.)

Guest KenM
I was worried that my M2000 might create crazy GPRS bills -- say for instance if I accidentally left an auto-refreshing web page open.

I mainly use WiFi at home and work for internet connection with the M2000, so I've switched off GPRS as follows.

In Settings -> Connections tab -> Connections -> Advanced tab -> Select Networks -- change the setting "Programs that connect automatically to the internet should connect using..." Changed this from fromĀ  "Orange World" to "Local wireless network". (I've also done this for the settingĀ  "Programs that connect automatically to a private network should connect using...")

I switch it back to "Orange World" temporarily only when I actively want to use GPRS to surf the web. (I assume there is an O2 equivalent to the Orange World setting on XDA's.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this isn't an option o my O2 XdaIIi. There's no 'Local Wireless network' available. Only 'My work Network' which connects via GPRS to O2 dial-up