Windows Mobile 5.0

Guest alanrenouf

Guest alanrenouf

With the release of Windows Mobile 5.0 and both Dell and HP offering upgrades to some of there models, does anybody know....

1. Can the HTC Blue Angel be upgraded

2. Will Orange/Tmobile/O2/Anybody be offering an upgrade

3. If so when ?

Alan

Guest alanrenouf
With the release of Windows Mobile 5.0 and both Dell and HP offering upgrades to some of there models, does anybody know....

Sorry for being an idiot, i think I have just relaised that it is not even for this device.

Guest bronksy

why isn't it for this device? I just thought it's running the same software as other ppc phone editions.. so the only difference is purely cosmetic (apart from screen res)

or am i wrong?

Guest dazza12

I think the various networks will need to pay for a completely new license for each unit, so it's very unlikely we'll see it.

Guest bronksy

Ahh I see..

it also depends on whether MS are wanting to flood the market. I'm sure that they get massive OEM discounts..

Doesn't the Software come from the manufacturer on the devices and the networkd just put their..ahem.. 'added features' on it?

As with the old Ipaqs when they went through a major release HP charged about 30 quid for the CD Rom, so the networks could, in theory charge for a download?

If you will it.. it is no dream...

Guest Chaser81

Think I saw a news post on CoolSmartPhone about this where Orange have said that while they will be offering Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, they wont be offering an upgrade for existing devices.

At the end of the day, it would probably cost Orange more than it would be worth to do it, so I think that we probably wont see upgrades made available.

Guest Porkspeare

Surely it would be in MS's best interest to get windows mobile 5 on as many devices as possible. I read on another site that roms are currently available for the Blue Angel, Magician and Typhoon, sad thing is it doesnt say where they are available.

Any further news on this would be helpfull.

Guest bronksy

I agree.. is MS want the plaform to hit the market big time then they need to make sure that it's on as many devices as possible. I'm sure users would pay 20/30 quid for an upgrade CD if the networks were to offer it. HP have done this in the past for major updates on their Ipaq's.

Just wondering though.. how would the actual physical hardware layouts work with WM5.. isn't there need for 'soft keys' below the screen, akin to smartphone devices?

Guest SimonRobinson
Just wondering though.. how would the actual physical hardware layouts work with WM5.. isn't there need for 'soft keys' below the screen, akin to smartphone devices?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've installed WM5 to my M1000, and the soft keys are areas on the screen you touch, not any hardware buttons.

Guest bronksy

ohh.. i thought this was a hardware thing, so in theory...

what is the reason we would not have an upgrade available? Is there a chance that it would really push the hardware just that little bit too much so the performance enhancements wouldn't be that noticeable on some devices?

Guest SimonRobinson
ohh.. i thought this was a hardware thing, so in theory...

what is the reason we would not have an upgrade available? Is there a chance that it would really push the hardware just that little bit too much so the performance enhancements wouldn't be that noticeable on some devices?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to re-confirm, the hardware in the M1000 is sufficient to run WM5, so I don't see what hardware WM5 will require over and above the M1000/Himalaya, so I see no reason why the M2000/Blue Angel or M2500/Andes couldn't cope with WM5.

Guest fraser
what is the reason we would not have an upgrade available?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(profit) < (cost to orange)

Contary to their ads, they do not give a toss about existing users. You are in a 12-month contract and you are their bitch.

Edited by fraser

• 3 weeks later...
Guest huddie

I agree. I doubt very much indeed that Orange are gonna want to make WM5 available. Licences and the inevitable burden of support would be too much.

Guest Pondrew
Surely it would be in MS's best interest to get windows mobile 5 on as many devices as possible. I read on another site that roms are currently available for the Blue Angel, Magician and Typhoon, sad thing is it doesnt say where they are available.

Any further news on this would be helpfull.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, all I know is XDA-Developers say that the Windows Mobile 2005 roms leaked will not currently work on Blue Angels and I'm inclined to believe them...

Guest Pondrew
why isn't it for this device? I just thought it's running the same software as other ppc phone editions.. so the only difference is purely cosmetic (apart from screen res)

or am i wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've read a rom must be specifically for the hardware. Hence the leaked Magician and Himalaya roms will not work on Blue Angel. Hence the difference is presumably NOT just cosmetic.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilijak

Ok, so I have downloaded bith Windows mobile 2005 versions for Himalaya(probiably modified by some guy whose name I forgot), and the other official which i guess can be installed on all devices that have a bit faster processor and enough RAM.

But I have been asking this question all over the forum and nobody answered. It is: I have lets say M2000 and I sim-unlock it. (1. question is how do they do sim unlock? Where do they put the sim unlock file?) Then I decide to install windows 2005. SO my question no. 2 is: Is it still sim- unlocked? And finally do these regular Orange rom updates effect sim-unlock?(similiar question).

If anyone knows please answer.