HTC officially announce the Universal

Guest pisquee

Guest pisquee

The name was revealed here FIRST ages ago, but HTC have officially unveiled the HTC Universal, say The Register.

HTC today formally introduced 'Universal', the palmtop-like PocketPC phone a number of European network operators have already announced, but on which the handset's vendor has kept quiet.

Microsoft's announcement yesterday of Windows Mobile 5.0 - aka 'Magneto' - provided the motivation for HTC, which claimed Universal is the "world's first" WM5 handset.

Universal first appeared in February, when T-Mobile announced the MDA IV in Germany. Soon after, it emerged Orange was planning to rebadge the same device. Since then, Vodafone has joined the others. It will offer Universal as the VPA IV.

All three branded Universals are expected to ship this later this year, though T-Mobile revised its original summer release to an autumn debut. HTC provided no better guidance beyond saying Universal will ship in the second-half of the year.

Universal builds on HTC's previous PocketPC phones by adding 3G support, along with a clamshell casing that reveales the device's QWERTY keyboard. Universal's screen can rotate and fold back to present the user with the more traditional tablet PDA form-factor. To support 3G video calls, there are twin cameras on board, and twin stereo speakers. There's quad-band GSM/GPRS in there too, along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

Windows Mobile 5.0 provides software support for 3G communications. It also integrates 'push-to-talk' functionality.

Note the 'soft keys' for the new Pocket PC functionality in Windows Mobile 5!

htc_mda.jpg

Guest SystemicAnomaly

First opinions.......I LOVE IT. I WANT ONE NOW!

Now all Motorola have to do is release pics of their RazrBerry 3G Windows Mobile 2005 device and i'll want that more.

What does everyone else think?

Guest mstockham

According to the register today, yes and yes

Universal first appeared in February, when T-Mobile announced the MDA IV in Germany. Soon after, it emerged Orange was planning to rebadge the same device. Since then, Vodafone has joined the others. It will offer Universal as the VPA IV.

The most obvious question has to be - When will it be available on either Vodafone or Orange?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest renzo4000
Is this the rumoured C600?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are there some specifications? At first sight this machine is huge!!!! Can it be compared with a HTC S100??

Guest benzo
Are there some specifications? At first sight this machine is huge!!!! Can it be compared with a HTC S100??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will it get dust under the screen ;)

Guest Pondrew
Any spec on it? Size .. etc?

If it support will 3 put it out? ( Bound to the cheapest )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do a search for HTC Universal and you'll find a couple of threads with full specs in the News Forum including one by me...

Guest zeta101

can anyone make an educated guess when to expect to be able to buy this? are we talking sometime this summer? this autumn? or this xmas?

Guest vinterbird

Is it the final design? Because that gorgeus iPod white color is looking amazing.

So this summer it will be released?

Guest spvdk

If this thing was the size of the S100, I'd buy one without hesitation! Sadly, it isn't... It's as huge as a standard PDA ;)

Guest pierre
If this thing was the size of the S100, I'd buy one without hesitation! Sadly, it isn't... It's as huge as a standard PDA ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, quite big I guess, but it's got lots of features. Can replace a laptop in many cases I suppose.

Guest spvdk
Yes, quite big I guess, but it's got lots of features. Can replace a laptop in many cases I suppose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been watching the PPC community from a distance for quite some time. Sure, the functionality of a PPC was nice, but there was no way I was gonna carry something that huge. Instead I have owned various smartphones for the past few years.

Then HTC came up with the Magician and due to its size, I was finally able to jump the wagon. I believe the same thing goes for a LOT of other smartphone users. We need something pocketable, and that doesn't change with the emergence of the Universal.

There is no doubt in my mind, though, that for those of you who have been using standard size PPC's before, this is a must have. Personally I'm just gonna wait for the functionality of this new device being compressed to the size of the S100, before I grab for my wallet ;)

Guest extravagant
Waaaaay too big for me. I'll need to pass on that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, its far to big.. plus it lacks GPS, it would be amazing if it was integrated in it.. and as far as replacing a laptop, not really ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.