in car tomtom help

Guest stapes200

Guest stapes200

Im looking to use my mda iii as one of those driving direction thingies (excuse the completely untechnological jargon) how can i do this and do i need to get any extra hardware. They sell gprs recivers on ebay however i was under the impression my phone was already capable of this.

Thanks for your help ;)

Guest dazza12

Your phone doesn't have a GPS receiver built in. It has Bluetooth, which is the recommended way of connecting to a GPS receiver. I think you are confusing this with GPRS, which is a completely different thing altogether.

What you will also need is a fairly large SD card (I'd recommend at least 256Mb, get the biggest you can afford) to store the maps on. And the software. The Tomtom kit itself contains the BT receiver and the software. Not the SD card however.

If you are seriously thinking about buying one, wait a couple of weeks. TomTom Navigator 5 is being released in the next few days, which will mean you'll get the very latest maps if you wait. I understand the new kit contains an SD card with the map preloaded - however I could be wrong.

Don't get TomTom Mobile 5 - it's for Smartphones. The Navigator kit has support for the M2000 (although it doesn't say it on the v3 box).

One other thing you will need is a cradle to hold the M2000 and charge it (and the BT GPS receiver). I purchased one from www.pdamods.co.uk, which has power connections for Tomtom GPS as well as charging for the phone - all from one plug.