Website designed for PDA's

Guest feeta

Guest feeta

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing and building a site specially aimed at pda's and smartphones.

I was just wondering on your views on what you would like to see on such a site?

What would you want to use on your device?

I was thinking such things as downloads, news, links, reviews etc.

Obviously the site would be optimised for 320 x 240 viewing but will also work on PC's and smartphones.

Does anyone know of any sites like this that already exist?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this

Cheers,

Feeta ;)

Guest brykins

Personally, a well designed site needn't be designed for any particular screen resolution - as long as the text is re-sizable (no fixed font sizes please!) and there are no header images wider than 240pixels, then it ought to flow to any screen size.

For the narrow PPC screens, I'd go with a tall page...ie, all the menus at the top (not on the left) with the text below that. Go light on images, if you need any at all.

Content - I'd like to see a site that has good links for cab downloads - maybe a list of software and whether it is available in cab or not and links to download pages. News and so on - not too bothered as 95% of my browsing is done at the desktop where it's a lot easier to read.

The trick will be in finding out what content people want when on the move - for me, that's mostly how I can re-install if I lose something while away from the desk but with a WiFi or GPRS connection.

Be happy to test for you though - have a Dell Axim X50v (VGA) device, plus a C500 along with Windows and Linux boxes here running IE, Mozilla, Firefox and Lynx for testing my own sites.

Guest yoos

what about a place that has links to other great mobile sites that are nicely viewable on a smartphone/pda... For example, I'd love to go to a site that has links to the best yellow page, maps, movies, and dictionary sites that are for the smartphone.... and so on... If someone could be on top of all the best smartphone/pda viewable sites so I only had 1 place to go to for that stuff it would be cool and save me (and alot of other people) time in looking for themselves....

Guest feeta

Ok, cool, so a site which is a sort of hub of information for mobile users is a good idea.

Anyone else have any ideas?

What would I call what the site is designed for? Is "handheld devices" what they're called or is there a collective name for Palms, PPC's, Smartphones etc (or is it just "PDA's")

Cheers,

Feeta ;)

Guest dahquim
Ok, cool, so a site which is a sort of hub of information for mobile users is a good idea.

Anyone else have any ideas?

What would I call what the site is designed for?  Is "handheld devices" what they're called or is there a collective name for Palms, PPC's, Smartphones etc (or is it just "PDA's")

Cheers,

Feeta  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take a look at the BBC Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy Mobile Site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/pda/

Its good, and shows the sort of things that can be done.

Dahquim