GADGETotW: Eten M500

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

GADGETotW: Eten M500

Welcome to Gadget of the Week!

This week I am going to talk about the Eten M500, a real challenger to the iMate Jam for the 'mini Pocket PC' crown... and a device I have had the pleasure of using for around a month now!

M500_image.jpg

What is it?

It's a Pocket PC, in the style of the iMate Jam (i.e. with a small screen and compact form factor).

Eten's pitch...

E-TEN M500, a Microsoft Windows Mobile Software based Pocket PC Phone, offering wireless connectivity fits the mobile lifestyles. It supports built-in Bluetooth technology and quad-band GSM/GPRS capabilities. In addition, a full set of business applications with friendly user interface design and wireless connection features keep your work continued on the move.

With the integrated 1.3 Mega pixel digital camera, on-the-go picture taking is now not only convenient but also of exceptional quality. The flash light enables you to hold to that special moment whenever you want. The M500’s built-in camera not only allows for crystal clear imaging, but also for video recording with 4x digital zoom function. All captured materials can first be reviewed and edited on the device’s 65,536 color display before being sent to family and friends via email, multi media messaging (MMS) or stored to the device’s 130 MB user accessible memory.

Let's talk about specs baby... (geddit?)... the Eten M500 IS impressive!

The full spec sheet can be found at the Eten Home Page Here, but highlights include:

- Sleek and compact design with internal antenna

- 400 MHz processor

- 130 MB user accessible memory

- SD card expansion

- Quad-band GSM

- Bluetooth® technology

- Speakerphone function

- Support video recording.

- Polyphonic, MIDI, MP3 and WMA file format support

- 240 x 320, 65,536 colors TFT LCD

- Built-in 1.3 mega pixels digital camera with flash light

- 4x digital zoom

- Video recording

Where can I get it?

The M500 can be picked up for £369.95 inc. from the MoDaCo Shop.

Why do I want it?

The iMate Jam is a great device... one of my favourites in fact, and the first device to take advantage of the relaxation of screen size that came with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

BUT...

For me, the iMate Jam has a few flaws. Lack of WiFi is unfortunate (and this affects the Eten M500 too, although the EastGear card is pretty sweet). Also, for regular visitors to the USA or indeed our USA members, the tri-band radio on the Jam is somewhat limiting... not a problem that afflicts the Eten M500. My 2 other main gripes on the Jam are also addresses... memory is not limited to 64MB, and the 1.3MP camera is (shock horror!) a new benchmark for Windows Mobile devices (albeit with a pointless 'flash').

What else is nice? The stylus (which comes out from the bottom bizarrely) is substantial and expands, the included suite of software is quite nice, and overall build quality seems very good.

So, it sounds like a glowing review... are there any negatives? Only minor ones... it is a little 'thicker' than the Jam, and the build is somewhat 'plasticky' by comparison, albeit well built!

Finally, i'd LOVE to see that extra depth used to offer a slide out numeric keypad... it would probably be my perfect device then ;)

If you are in the market for a smaller Pocket PC, then it's definitely worth considering!

I have a question...

Something else you want to know? Just reply to this post with any questions :D

P

Guest Confucious

Having gone out last night and got horribly drunk I couldn't find my C500 this morning.

If I can't find it when I get home tonight I might be in the market for a new phone somewhat sooner than I anticipated!

This looks rather nice.....

Guest Disco Stu

It is certainly a looker. 8)

Having become somewhat disillusioned with i-Mate, it's good to see that Eten provide an actual real-world address on their website, complete with map !

Do any members have any experience of this company and their products ?

Guest smeg36
It is certainly a looker.  8)

Having become somewhat disillusioned with i-Mate, it's good to see that Eten provide an actual real-world address on their website, complete with map !

Do any members have any experience of this company and their products ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had an Eten P300. It was an ok device, not great. But Eten was very helpful when I had it. I contacted them a few times, and they were very responsive and timely in getting back to me. I was pleased with Eten, and would love to try out the M500.

Guest nickcornaglia

I understand that there is an app on the ETEN that will allow you to assign a function to the BT headset button such as using it for Voice Command. Is this something that can be edited in the registry here??:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > SHELL > KEYS >

You should see Strings in there labled 4OC1, 4OC2, 4OC3, etc

is there an app that goes along with this function or is it something in the BT profile?

BTW...I almost bought this phone but decided on the imate jam. I'm not totally dissatisfied with my choice...but the extra RAM would have been nice.

Edited by nickcornaglia

Guest Blakey

I have an ETEN M500 - I got mine from the MoDaCo shop when my JAM went back into be fixed and they couldn't fix it after 7 weeks (!!!!). I'd recommend the ETEN M500 for definite - in the same way as I'd recommend the JAM.

The ETEN is marginally bigger and heavier (but not much) which is a little disappointing as I originally bought the JAM for its size.

However the ETEN is functionally better than the JAM, IMHO. It has 128 MB ROM (Not RAM - importantly!). Its camera is also of considerably better quality than the JAM's was - although I never upgraded the JAM ROM to get the camera patches, so the JAM maybe lots better now. It also comes with Voice Commander (not MS Voice Command) as part of its standard software pre-installed.

Importanly for me, it also allows voice activated dialing from the BT headset - without having to press a button on the ETEN itself - you can link the BT headset button to starting an application (i.e. Voice Commander) and that can be used to start dialing. If you installed MS Voice Command on the phone you could get it to start that using the BT headset button.

It also plays music through BT headset as well. Although the quality is obviously naff - its like listening to music down a telephone line really. But its still better than what I could do with my JAM.

I had started an ETEN M500 thread (before this one arrived) here: http://www.modaco.com/ETEN_M500-t206978.html

Cheers

Blakey