Where will the Orange updated ROM be?

Guest celica1.8st

Guest celica1.8st

I was wondering where the updated ROM would be so I asked Orange via Email - 3 days later and....

Thank you for your mail.

I would advise that we are yet to hear of such an updated ROM. I would suggest however, that any updated information on the SPV handsets is normally posted on the Microsoft.com website.

I would be advisable to view this site first, if you are unable to obtain the download from there then I would advise that you contact Microsoft directly and one of their Representatives will be able to advise you further.

The contact number for Microsoft is 0870 6010100.

I hope this will be of some assistance.

Kind regards

Louise

Orange Customer Services

A bit worrying that the Staff haven't heard of the update yet ;)

Guest pete_thomson
I was wondering where the updated ROM would be so I asked Orange via Email - 3 days later and....

A bit worrying that the Staff haven't heard of the update yet  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More worrying is that they've tried pointing you in Microsoft's direction!! lol

Guest Disco Stu

Has an update ROM ever been available for download from MS ?

Not as far as I'm aware.

Orange ROMs are always downloaded from the Orange website.

Guest cold_fire
I was wondering where the updated ROM would be so I asked Orange via Email -..

That's Orange my man ! Anyway i do not c why they pointed u to Microsoft as Microsoft releases updates but let's the operators to make them available for end users (eg Windows Media Player 10) .

Edited by cold_fire

Guest drblow

It seems that maybe this email came from the same person who obviously told Paul that the UK update was 'imminent' over a month ago! I'm fairly sure the dictionary does not give a specific maximum time span to define the word 'imminent', but I would reckon people in general think that a month later is more like 'soon', or perhaps 'in the near future' :evil:, while 'imminent' would imply 'in a few days' ... or even 'sometime this week'.

Having had experience with O & release dates I can't say I was ever really expecting the update, but I am starting to get a bit annoyed at the fact that a post was made in the news section at all about this. I would rather have heard nothing, than be waiting pointlessly for an update that nobody seems to have mentioned since. And it has now gone on for so long that it's a bit like a 'don't mention the war' scenario.

My own personal view is that announcements like this should be kept out of the forum, if they are just going to lead to frustration.

Guest spvdk

I just noticed a file named 'RUU v1.02 OrangeUK v4.2.1.1 Ship.exe' somewhere on the net (no, I can't provide a link). Is this a fake, or has the Orange UK update finally been released/leaked?

Edited by spvdk

Guest C00LH4ND

DOES NOBODY READ THE FREAKIN' RULEZ HERE ! :evil:

NO WAREZ / NO LINKS / NO WAY DUDES ;)

Edited by Disco Stu

Guest C00LH4ND
DOES NOBODY READ THE FREAKIN' RULEZ HERE !  :evil:

NO WAREZ / NO LINKS / NO WAY DUDES  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrist slapped and I accept it like a man... Apologies Disco_Stu :oops:

Perhaps I could have worded it better, my intent was not to highlight a link more to highlight the fact that there are indicators on the web that the ROM is imminent if not complete.. ;)

C00LH4ND

Guest tsutton
Huh? Did I miss something here? I asked if this is an official release. Nothing warez whatsoever about that, right?

If it's on any torrent/warez sites, then it is indeed illegal. It's not considered illegal if it's on the official website.

Someone might have ripped it out from their phone and uploaded it online. That's illegal.

Guest DarkJedi

now how is that illegal? if it's free, then how is that illegal? that's like saying downloading tv shows is illegal just because of the stupid commercials.

Guest stormy

Hello ;)

This is my first post. So be gently with me. I have had an SPV C500 for a few weeks now having owned an original SPV before that.

The ROM update which is leaked (if it even is?) and was mentioned above looks well dodgy to me, no Orange Logo or anything. So I don't think I will be trying it. For reference:

c500.png

Lets hope the official one is soon.

Mike

Edited by stormy

Guest drblow

This thread seems to have taken a decidedly dodgy turn for the worse. :evil:

Just to clear up some stuff for the hard of thinking here, but modaco rules prohibit the posting of warez/warez related items ... end of story. Debate the legality of whatever you like, but ultimately the moderators will remove anything they find that is deemed to be against forum policy.

If anyone finds this supposed ROM on any sites, then rest assured that it IS what is termed 'warez', whether it's free or not, and installing it will invalidate your warranty or any phone insurance you have, if the provider discovers it. & if it messes up your phone, then you only have yourself to blame. ;)

What's so great about getting media player 10 anyway? As far as I can tell that's all there is in this update. Everything else mentioned for the french one has already been fixed by the previous update. There doesn't seem to be anything about WM10 that betaplayer doesn't do. My only grumble with the whole update thing is that we were told over a month ago that it was imminent and, as per my post above, whatever O meant by imminent it's definately taking the p**s to be sitting here a month later with no further news, and no further comments from Paul so clearly no further contact to him either - or at leats none that he is sharing, which is realistically what I would prefer if the info is not reliable. I would not be at all worried about the update if it wasn't for the fact that we had been told it was imminent, but I do find myself becoming annoyed just because it seems that it's not imminent at all. :evil:

Guest spvdk
Hello ;)

This is my first post. So be gently with me. I have had an SPV C500 for a few weeks now having owned an original SPV before that.

The ROM update which is leaked (if it even is?) and was mentioned above looks well dodgy to me, no Orange Logo or anything. So I don't think I will be trying it. For reference:

c500.png

Lets hope the official one is soon.

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That screenshot is exactly the same as the one you get when running 4.1.1.4, and I believe we have that one established as being original? Only difference is the build number of the update utility, and that hardly qualifies as a disqualifier :D

EDIT: I haven't got enough knowledge on the legal aspect of this to say if it's warez or not in my own country, let alone the entire planet. But I am not even a C500 owner anymore, so I know for sure I won't be running illegal software on MY phone ;) I just stumbled across this new ROM and was qurious to find out if it is indeed the new Orange UK ROM everyone has been waiting for...?

Granted, if Orange UK doesn't hook us up with a link very soon, this could very well be illegal software, so beware!

Edited by spvdk

Guest lewdvig
That screenshot is exactly the same as the one you get when running 4.1.1.4, and I believe we have that one established as being original? Only difference is the build number of the update utility, and that hardly qualifies as a disqualifier ;)

EDIT: I haven't got enough knowledge on the legal aspect of this to say if it's warez or not in my own country, let alone the entire planet. But I am not even a C500 owner anymore, so I know for sure I won't be running illegal software on MY phone :D I just stumbled across this new ROM and was qurious to find out if it is indeed the new Orange UK ROM everyone has been waiting for...?

Granted, if Orange UK doesn't hook us up with a link very soon, this could very well be illegal software, so beware!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever this comes out, it will be the last update for the C500 most assuredly. There are no big bugs left to squash. WMP 10 only adds 'plays for sure.' I don't buy DRMed music so that is hardly a feature worth talking about.

The C550 must be really close to coming out.

Guest lewdvig
This thread seems to have taken a decidedly dodgy turn for the worse.  :evil:

Just to clear up some stuff for the hard of thinking here, but modaco rules prohibit the posting of warez/warez related items ... end of story.  Debate the legality of whatever you like, but ultimately the moderators will remove anything they find that is deemed to be against forum policy.

If anyone finds this supposed ROM on any sites, then rest assured that it IS what is termed 'warez', whether it's free or not, and installing it will invalidate your warranty or any phone insurance you have, if the provider discovers it.  & if it messes up your phone, then you only have yourself to blame.  ;)

What's so great about getting media player 10 anyway?  As far as I can tell that's all there is in this update.  Everything else mentioned for the french one has already been fixed by the previous update.  There doesn't seem to be anything about WM10 that betaplayer doesn't do.  My only grumble with the whole update thing is that we were told over a month ago that it was imminent and, as per my post above, whatever O meant by imminent it's definately taking the p**s to be sitting here a month later with no further news, and no further comments from Paul so clearly no further contact to him either - or at leats none that he is sharing, which is realistically what I would prefer if the info is not reliable.  I would not be at all worried about the update if it wasn't for the fact that we had been told it was imminent, but I do find myself becoming annoyed just because it seems that it's not imminent at all.  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is a leaked video card driver 'warez?'

I don't agree with your logic. This is a firmware update you already have a license for.

Guest drblow

Well, like I said we could debate the legalities til the proverbial cows come proverbially home. The point is that the ROM being discussed here as being available on 'the internet' is not an official release, and so it will be treated as 'warez' on this forum. Whether you have a license is irrelevant - if someone using an Orange UK C500 install this alleged ROM on their phone & it screws it up then Orange would not honour any warranty or insurance claims on it, license or not.

This always happens when a ROM is rumoured to be released. There will probably always be ROMs floating around the 'internet' before official releases, and they are most likely test versions that people have uploaded on p2p. They may work OK, they may not. But anybody that does install one runs the risk either way, and has no comeback if it turns out to be the latter.

Guest lewdvig
Well, like I said we could debate the legalities til the proverbial cows come proverbially home.  The point is that the ROM being discussed here as being available on 'the internet' is not an official release, and so it will be treated as 'warez' on this forum.  Whether you have a license is irrelevant - if someone using an Orange UK C500 install this alleged ROM on their phone & it screws it up then Orange would not honour any warranty or insurance claims on it, license or not.

This always happens when a ROM is rumoured to be released.  There will probably always be ROMs floating around the 'internet' before official releases, and they are most likely test versions that people have uploaded on p2p.  They may work OK, they may not.  But anybody that does install one runs the risk either way, and has no comeback if it turns out to be the latter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand your point, but I really don't know what the value of a forum like Modaco is, if not for the active modding and tweaking community that comes here. We are a very small percentage of the market. In marketing terms we are 'influencers.'

We do crazy things with the tech we buy, and in telling normal people of the cool tech and the mods we perform, we influence them to buy similar items - even if they would never dare try the stuff that we do.

I have been in tech for a long time - I have even had a small part in developing some of the tech that has become very popular in smartphones. I can tell you that most leaks are from the marketing departments.

Orange may not have enough testers and simply slipped this into the market - like an unofficial beta (an official beta would require support). They then read forums like this one and see what kinds of problems turn up.

Again, I am not trying to disagree with your point. I am just trying to broaden your perspective on the issue.

Guest Confucious
now how is that illegal?  if it's free, then how is that illegal?  that's like saying downloading tv shows is illegal just because of the stupid commercials.

What a strange question! Have you never heard of copyright laws? Do you think it's OK for anyone to steal other peoples software?

Edited by Confucious

Guest drblow
I understand your point, but I really don't know what the value of a forum like Modaco is, if not for the active modding and tweaking community that comes here. We are a very small percentage of the market. In marketing terms we are 'influencers.'

We do crazy things with the tech we buy, and in telling normal people of the cool tech and the mods we perform, we influence them to buy similar items - even if they would never dare try the stuff that we do.

I have been in tech for a long time - I have even had a small part in developing some of the tech that has become very popular in smartphones. I can tell you that most leaks are from the marketing departments.

Orange may not have enough testers and simply slipped this into the market - like an unofficial beta (an official beta would require support). They then read forums like this one and see what kinds of problems turn up.

Again, I am not trying to disagree with your point. I am just trying to broaden your perspective on the issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) Thanks, but i think it is you who is looking at this from a narrow perspective. The value of the modaco community is not simply measured the 'tech' modding community, who make up a small percentage of modacos hundred thousand odd members. People come here for info of all kinds, at all varying degrees of technical expertise.

I fail to see how installing a dodgy ROM that is downloaded from 'the internet' is either daring, or going to 'influence' anybody. In fact the purpose of my points above is to try to 'influence' the easily influenced to not be influenced by, as you say, 'the influencers'.

:D

Edited by drblow

Guest ElGato65

OK, I was trying not to get drawn into this debate but I've failed, so here goes.

I fail to see how downloading and using this ROM is in anyway illegal, the only time as I see it, there was any questionable activity was when it was "lifted" from Orange. Also you can debate 'til you're all blue in the face as to whether it is "real" or not, I can tell you it is. I found it, downloaded it, and installed it, it works, full stop. And it works pretty much like all the others I have "tested", except that it is from OrangeUK and therefor requires no tweaking/hacking or modifying of the settings for it to work "out of the box", unlike the others.

This brings me onto another point, the legality of all this. As mentioned above, I find it questionable at best, but what I find to be undeniably illegal is, the modification of someones else software for your own purposes, i.e. the "hacking" of the other manufactuer's ROM's in order to get them to load on what ever version of the Typhoon you have. How ever it is justified, you are "tampering" with someone else's code in order to use it for your own purposes, that to me seems to be far worse than stumbling across an update that is intended for the OrangeUK C500, despite it not being "officially" available.

Sorry just had to get that of me chest. And I agree with lewdvig, it may well have been some form of "official leak" in order to broaden beta testing.

Ultimately though, we are guests on this forum and as such need to abide by the forum's code, so if they feel it's "Warez" and not to be discussed then so be it.

Edited by ElGato65