C500 SimLock Toggling (Cost: £0.00)

Guest Zone-MR

Guest Confucious

To the person that complained of people making money from unlocking the C500 - florin_m is a genius that provided a service no one else could and I, for one, was quite prepared to pay for it and the excellent customer service he provides.

Months later someone else has cracked it and is offering a "similar" (if you have a c500) service for free.

This is great and much appreciated - having just lost my phone I'll probably have to get my replacement unlocked and will use a free service rather than one I have to pay for b ut please don't knock someone for making money from their hard work unless you yourself work for nothing.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
To the person that complained of people making money from unlocking the C500 - florin_m is a genius that provided a service no one else could and I, for one, was quite prepared to pay for it and the excellent customer service he provides.

Months later someone else has cracked it and is offering a "similar" (if you have a c500) service for free.

This is great and much appreciated - having just lost my phone I'll probably have to get my replacement unlocked and will use a free service rather than one I have to pay for b ut please don't knock someone for making money from their hard work unless you yourself work for nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I can only agree in part. I beta tested a few little things for Florin on his old site (someone ending in soft.com, cant remember exactly), but hes pretty much a sell out, stuff everyone n make money.

I guess thats fair enough to wanna make money, I'd be the same, but £20 a go? Sorry thats rip off money. If they had gone for £5/£10 they'd of still made money, and maybe people wouldn't of been so eager to make a free version.

SPV Developers I salute you. Maybe this will change the sales models for unlocking the next orange spv handset!

Guest atlantio

I seem to have a problem.

I cannot install the cab because of it not accepting the certificate or something, so I followed the link to get it disabled, selected the "Disable Certificate Security on my handset", but for some reason all my phone did to react was light up to show that a message or something was coming through. No text came up asking me if I wanted to disable the security certificate thing. Is this an issue with the French ROM because I had it before when asking Orange to send my GPRS settings to my phone.

Thanks for the feedback guys ;)

Guest nsp24

I am getting this error

Unknown error -2147467259 in read operation

any ideas? when I run the setup file on the phone I just get a blank page is that normal

Guest Zone-MR
I am getting this error

any ideas?  when I run the setup file on the phone I just get a blank page is that normal

By the setup file I assume you mean cert.cab? It will only work if your phone is application unlocked. You should get either an error message or a suceess message. I've never seen it show a blank screen :-/ Any chance you could take a screenshot?

Guest nsp24
By the setup file I assume you mean cert.cab? It will only work if your phone is application unlocked. You should get either an error message or a suceess message. I've never seen it show a blank screen :-/ Any chance you could take a screenshot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I realised what I was doing wrong when I read your reply. I was trying to run the file setup.xml which was in the cert.cab file :cry:

Just ran the cert.cab file and it worked a treat just tried a Virgin sim and all is well.

Thanks

Guest Zone-MR
I agree. If you can offer a service which others need, you have every right to charge for it. There's no moral obligation to release all your work free-of-charge.
I guess thats fair enough to wanna make money, I'd be the same, but £20 a go? Sorry thats rip off money.

It's a free market. If someone can offer a service people are desperate for, they have every right to charge £1000x10^9 for it. If you don't like this, don't pay for it. Better still, study some encryption algorithms, work your rectum off for a few weeks, and release your work free of charge (this is what we did).

If they had gone for £5/£10 they'd of still made money, and maybe people wouldn't of been so eager to make a free version.

Not neccessarily. Even if it cost just £1, many people will find payment inconvenient (either that or judging by our donations the service is worth £0.00 for 200 unlocks). Also, there's more to the word 'free' than price - any developers can obtain our code, and improve upon it. Half the reason for making the free unlocker was necessity, the other half was the desire to learn more about *how* it can be done.

I beta tested a few little things for Florin on his old site (someone ending in soft.com, cant remember exactly), but hes pretty much a sell out, stuff everyone n make money.

That I fully agree with. There is nothing inherently immoral with not contributing to the community. There is nothing inherently immoral with him protecting his line of business. However, discouraging developers, and giving false information, is another matter.

On a pleasant note, so far 235 people have unlocked their phone with our tool. No major problems have been reported, so the service can be considered safe and reliable ;)

We're still working on AudioVox support. A intermediate workaround would be to flash it with the Orange ROM for unlocking, however I haven't tested this personally so I can't guarantee that it will work. Don't try this unless you are willing to work with me on restoring your phone after you get a "data crashes" message.

Edited by Zone-MR

Guest Dean123
Looks remarkably loke the one I bought which didn't fit in the C500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you have ago at really ragging it in? Just as a test I laid another sim under my battery and after abit of persuasion the back cover went on. Do you still have it and would you be willing to sell it to me?

Guest magical_trevor

You have XP and longhorn running on your C500? How? Can you post screenshots, it sounds unbelievable...

edit- dammit if that was sarcasm then I withdraw the above statement ;)

On-topic- My c500 is now on 02!

Edited by magical_trevor

Guest Stevio

WooT it just works, without any errors. I have an Orange SPV-C500 from The Netherlands latest rom version. Now i can use my Vodaphone card ;)

Guest whitestar

I have to agree with MARKUKCOUK, charging £20 to unlock the C500, the same as Orange by the way, was too much. £10 - £15 would have been about right.

I say well done to the devolpers of the free solution & keep on going!!

Guest Confucious
I have to agree with MARKUKCOUK, charging £20 to unlock the C500, the same as Orange by the way, was too much. £10 - £15 would have been about right.

Well he charged £20 and plenty of people used him, myself included he provided a quicker and better service than Orange and I was quite prepared to p[ay as there was no alternative.

Now there is, of course I won't be opaying to have my replacement phone unlocked and heartfealt thanks have to go to the authors of this hack ;)

Guest DJBenson
I am getting this error

any ideas?  when I run the setup file on the phone I just get a blank page is that normal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was getting this error. Then I copied "Cert.cab" over to my storage card using ActiveSync then opened and installed it from the phone, and then reran the program and it worked! ;)

Nice one for this!

Just one question - how come this uses an internet connection? Is some of the decryption done on the server and if so - is any personal information (i.e. the IMEI code) logged?

Just curiosity, not paranoia! :D

Edited by DJBenson

Guest Zone-MR
Just one question - how come this uses an internet connection? Is some of the decryption done on the server and if so - is any personal information (i.e. the IMEI code) logged?
You are right in your assumption that some decryption is done on the server. The reasoning behind this is to prevent scammers from selling our free unlocker on ebay (this happened with some E200 unlock programs). Developers who are interested in the workings of our unlocker can find all the relevant code and algorithms on the SPV-Developers forums.

A 16kB block of data is transmitted to the server for decryption, and the server sends back any changes that should be made. The original data is stored on the server for 24 hours. The reasoning behind this is that if anything goes wrong, we have a backup of the original ROM contents, and can reverse all changes if you experience any problems.

At present we know quite little on the contents of this encrypted block (we've only looked for the SimLock in it). However, it looks like the IMEI is NOT stored there (swapping this block on two phones does not change the IMEI). If you wish to know what information we are able to decode, use the "Analyze encrypted block" button in the "Debugging Tools" part of the application.

can this in anyway damage the phone?

We are releasing this tool for free, so cannot guarantee it's safety or provide compensation if anything goes wrong. If you want a guaranteed service, your best bet is still imei-check.

However, we are quite confident that the tool is 100% safe to use. As mentioned above, we keep temporary backups of any ROM areas we change, and these can be easilly restored if anything bad happens. Secondly, as of writing this, 331 people have used the utillity to unlock their phone. Not one has reported any kind of major problems.

One exception is AudioVox ROMs. We mentioned that these are not supported. Attempting to run the utility on an AudioVox phone will render your phone unusable. However, this is not permanant damage, as all changes are 100% reversible from the backup.

Edited by Zone-MR

Guest MARKUKCOUK

im off to bed so sorry for the rushed reply...

just a couple of points. firstly, i too payed £20 to Florin to get my phone unlocked a few months ago. I felt ripped off at paying £20, but at the time there was no other choice. I'm very happy his C500 unlock income will soon be down to nothing. Sadly he has already made a fortune out of us all.

Yes its business, but most people do still hold onto a few morals, and charging £20 for doing something which probably cost next to nothing to decode/program etc seems off to me, but your entitled to your opinions.

Also, I don't really know who these SPV-Developer dudes are, but having used CellTrack, and probably gonna use Unlock shortly on a replacement phone, I'd like to say its nice to see a few people still in the WM Smartphone software arena who aren't just interested in the money. Fair play to ya!