AotW: Abidia Wireless

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

AotW: Abidia Wireless

This week's app is Abidia Wireless, the ultimate tool for managing eBay from your Smartphone or Pocket PC!

Abidia have just come on board as a 'Plus Partner', and as a user of Abidia Wireless 2, i'm very impressed by the new features, improved usability and improved performance found in version 3!

wire.sp.gif

So, of course... I asked John Burch from Abidia to speak to MoDaCo for our 'App of the Week' slot :D

Hi and thanks for speaking to MoDaCo! Please introduce yourself!

Hello Paul, My name is Mike Burch and I am Chief Technical Officer for Abidia. We develop online auction applications for mobile phones and handheld devices that enable easy access to eBay and international eBay sites. Our product line has been created with small screens, slower processors, limited memory and bandwidth, as well as simple input methods in mind. Abidia has released auction software for Windows Mobile Pocket PC’s and Smartphones, Palm Powered Devices, BlackBerry Wireless Handheld devices, Symbian Series 60 Platform, Symbian Series 80|90 Platform , Symbian UIQ, And Java (J2ME) enabled phones.

Describe Abidia Wireless in your own words

As anyone that has used eBay on a handheld device or mobile phone can attest to, eBay isn't very mobile oriented. That’s where Abidia Wireless comes in. Abidia Wireless brings eBay to the small screen in style. Abidia Wireless compresses your eBay information so that it synchronizes fast. It has a user interface designed specifically for small screens, making information easy to access, and navigate. It's very easy to use and provides an auction experience similar to the desktop experience, providing desktop like performance, productivity, presentation, and convenience.

Abidia Wireless provides a great companion to eBay, allowing you to take your My eBay buying and selling lists with you wherever you go. It also provides search capabilities, the ability to view items listings, and images, bid on items, and add them to your watch list. Abidia Wireless is compatible with the US version of eBay, as well as eBay UK (www.ebay.co.uk), eBay Germany (www.ebay.de), eBay Italy (www.ebay.it), eBay France (www.ebay.fr), eBay Australia (www.ebay.com.au), and many more international sites.

Abidia Wireless 3 supports the latest devices and technologies, like Windows Mobile 5.0, Hi resolution displays (Dell Axim X50v, HP h4700, HTC Universal, and SPV C550, PalmOne LifeDrive, Tungsten T5), and screen rotation.

What makes Abidia Wireless worth buying above other Smartphone applications?

Simply put convenience and long lasting usability. Abidia Wireless is a wireless handheld application that is accessible wherever you are, whenever you need it. The application is not intended for one time use; many people will use it sporadically when they find an eBay item that they want to win. And others will want to use it daily to see the progress of items they are selling. Regardless of whether you are an eBay seller or buyer, Abidia Wireless will remain a useful accessory for years upon years.

Abidia Wireless was nominated by Pocket PC magazine in last years Best Software of 2004, and continues to get positive reviews. Abidia Wireless is very easy to use, and is created specifically for mobile devices. Abidia Wireless supports all popular platforms, so it will be available for a new phone when you decide to upgrade. Oh, and did I mention it allows you to bring eBay with you anywhere?

What can we expect to see next from Abidia?

We will be releasing bug fixes and incremental improvements to Abidia Wireless 3 for our released platforms, including Palm, Pocket PC, and Smartphone. We are currently finishing up the release of Abidia Wireless 3 for BlackBerry Wireless handheld devices, which will be released in June. After that we will be concentration on Abidia Wireless 3 for Java (J2ME) phones, Symbian Series 60, Symbian Series 80 and 90, Symbian UIQ. Of course as we receive new feature and abilities requests from our customers we will integrate them in to Abidia Wireless as soon as we can.

Thanks for talking to us Mike!

You can download a free trial of Abidia Wireless here, and MoDaCo Plus members, check out the MoDaCo Plus forum for your free copy! ;)

P

Guest James

Been using this app over the weekend to acces eBay and i have got to say its brill!.. have been recommending it all day.

it has been quite slow to access the item details though. and takes a while to load the item pictures.

A few other things:-

Cant see the postage amount.

Cant see the Start and End dates for auctions either, the spaces are blank.

Cant Watch items. (come up with an error)

Guest chucky.egg

Much as I love the freebies ;) I have to say that this hasn't grabbed me at all.

I found that it was very slow (which might be due to coverage as much as it is the app itself), but also that some of the crucial info was "wrong" - some of the auctions showed "View other items" or the sellers/bidders name where the End date should have been, so I couldn't even use it to check when auctions I was watching were going to end.

I think I'll probably be going back to SMS bids and alerts, but thanks to Paul and Abidia for making it available to us in the first place, I'm sure it'll suit plenty of people!

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest Paul [MVP]

DON'T FORGET TO FEED BACK YOUR COMMENTS TO ABIDIA!

I have been using the Pocket PC version mainly, and have not experienced the problems you mentioned...

P