GPS Receiver

Guest Uisdean

Guest Uisdean

I'm looking at getting a GPS recevier for my JAM, but I don't know what sort of connection I need. Nowhere actually mentions the JAM, so I was wondering what it would be compatible with? Or can anyone point me in the direction of one that is compatible.

Guest En_croute
I'm looking at getting a GPS recevier for my JAM, but I don't know what sort of connection I need. Nowhere actually mentions the JAM, so I was wondering what it would be compatible with? Or can anyone point me in the direction of one that is compatible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need one with Bluetooth

There is no serial/GPS port on the iJam/MDA/XDAIIMini etc etc

Guest Uisdean

Cheers,

had been thinking of a bluetooth but wasn't sure how the battery life would hold out... guess I have no choice in the matter though!

Guest MitchellO

The batterylife on some of the BT GPS units is supposed to be really good. Much longer than the PDA battery life.

www.geekzone.co.nz did some reviews of BT GPS recently. You should take a look.

Guest andysalmon
The batterylife on some of the BT GPS units is supposed to be really good. Much longer than the PDA battery life.

www.geekzone.co.nz did some reviews of BT GPS recently. You should take a look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My GPS has an 18 hr battery life, 16 channels and cost about £45. But, (isn't there always?) the MDA batt life is halved. I use it in the car most of the time so no problem then.

Guest Samsonite

I’ve just got my Qtek S100 and have done a couple of trips with Co-Pilot and Emtac BT GPS unit.

The GPS battery lasts all day and then some. The Qtek batt. went to 60% in about two and half hours. I reckon I’d get about 6 hours+ from the phone in a normal driving day.

On the plus side, the mini USB charger type means my ciggie lighter to USB adapter lets me charge in the car no worries.

The Emtac unit takes about 3 hours to charge from stone cold dead to full and will last for ages…

Overall the Magician is better than my old Acer PDA and that’s with the phone function switched on. I would hope that in flight mode, the battery would last longer.

I got all the stuff (‘cept the phone) from Expansys. The emtac unit was just under a hundred quid and Co-pilot was £120 iirc…

I have had some trauma with the BT GPS unit. First one went wrong and expansys replaced (in less than a week), the second one has played up once or twice but never actually totally died…yet… I almost consider having a spare cos I drive for a living and am cr@p at map reading!!! :roll:

On a separate note – I’ve written this post in Word to get around the refresh thing – doin’ my nut in, that is!! :x

Guest En_croute
On the plus side, the mini USB charger type means my ciggie lighter to USB adapter lets me charge in the car no worries.

On a separate note – I’ve written this post in Word to get around the refresh thing – doin’ my nut in, that is!! :x

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Which Ciggie Mini USB unit did you get - I can't get one to work yet! ( Isee you're in the UK - where did you get it from)

2. the refresh thing ????

Guest MitchellO

I have a cig-to-usb adaptor from a HP charger I had from my iPAQ 2210. I sold the ipaq, and the usb sync/charge cable that came with the usb cig adaptor, but kept the adaptor just in case. Lucky for me!!