Keeping GPRS Connection Alive in Standby

Guest camielkb

Guest camielkb

Hi there..

Long time reader but new to posting here. Had a SPV-E100 but changed is for the M500 some weeks ago.

Love it, need it and keep it!

But after using it i have one question about my GPRS connection:

Is it possible to keep my GPRS online (MSN or something else) when my phone is in standby? So no dimmed backlight but realy energy-saving (powerbutton pressed). I realy would like that for some occasions.

Thanx for answering!

Guest moosery

not sure exactly what you mean, but there is an issue (on orange, at least) where GPRS cuts off after a while if you're not using it.

Guest MitchellO

I can connect my Mini to GPRS, log msn on and set inbox to check for emails every x minutes and then turn my device off (just pressing the power button) and it all stays connected. Works great for me. If I get a message, the PDA will vibrate or beep (if I have sound alerts on), and MSN will alert for a new IM or contact coming online. Its great!!! Much better than a blackberry device.

I never did any special configuration at all to get this working. I use Optus Australia for GPRS. I can remain connected all day, and after sending/receving about 25 emails, surfing mobile sites without pictures, a few googles maybe, and a fair bit of MSN, I come out at about 700kb/day. I don't use it like that every day though! Too expensive over here, without a plan geared to data. Would love a vodafone 500Mb plan for AU$50/month!!!!

Guest camielkb

Well, it seems like mine is closing all connections when i am turning off my M500.

What i want is turning my device in standby mode (by pressing the powerbutton once) and keep my GPRS connection. Seems like there is something else in the register with Mitchell0. Hopefully someone else can help me out better!

Guest boyo69

I had a T-Mobile MDA which was running some very old firmware (1.03 from memory)

i use alwaysonmail which requires a constant GPRS connection for push email, but the connection kept disconnecting as per the first posters comments

so, i upgraded the ROM to a QTEK (1.11) and not only did it keep the GPRS live all the time, it also improved greatly the audio quality in call ........ double bonus !!

hope it helps! www.xda-developers.com for the rom upgrade, just look in the Magicioan forum......... really easy to do as well

Guest boyo69

well, if it's not version number then it must be carrier dependant....... i definitely had a gprs connection that would disconnect after any email action.... therefore it would constantly 'connect' for alwaysonmail to work......

Qtek 1.11 (and also the Jam 1.11) seems to work fine, keeps the gprs connection open...........

Guest camielkb

Sorry for the late reply. No realy useful tops else then upgrading the firmware. What i dont know: is it possible to go back to my original rom?