Cutting through the C550 rumours...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shadamehr
Erm, I am pretty sure you CAN send via BT directly from the gallery application?

You select 'Beam' or something (don't have my phone to hand), and it shows the IR device and then the BT devices.

Can anyone else confirm?

I don't know how you've done it Shadamehr, I can't STAND the S60 UI!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have just checked, and in the Album Application on a C500, if I press the "Menu" soft key, it gives me Send, File, Save As, Rename, Properties etc etc..., and the Send option then lists "via MMS" or "via Email".

In Multimedia Album, the behaviour is the same, as it seems one and the same application.

And if I go to Camera, then choose Album, it DOES give me a different set of thumbnails, but the same options - via MMS, or via Email...

So somebody PLEASE help me out here, and tell me where I go to find BT sending direct from the Gallery on a C500...??

Or am I totally getting my wires crossed, and you mean in Windows Mobile 5? If so, then thanks for the heads up - can't say I spotted this when I had a play with it, but good to know if it is there now...

So, clarify?

Also Paul, you are the man to ask...

As my K750i upgrade is going back, I am thinking of just getting a phone 'to order' for a friend to buy from me, and use the cash to MAYBE get an i-mate jam on one of the Vodafone Expansys contract deals...

I could do with proper PC sync etc again, but of course then I lose out on Bluetooth notes etc, as mentioned in my earlier posts.

Did I read somewhere though that you thought the camera was rubbish - and is this still so with the recent ROM upgrade?

Should I give the i-mate jam a miss as a possible answer to my prayers?

Finally, the 6230i is Series 40 version 3 Interface, not Symbian Series 60...

So it really is the cut down OS, but the easy, simple, plain one... just no fancy and helpful features like a SmartPhone has...

Guest shadamehr
Yeah, the Jam camera is pretty rubbish! Nice device (so long as you are happy with a Pocket PC) though overall.

Whack an EastGear (http://www.EastGear.com) WiFi card in there and you're pretty sorted ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mmm - cheers for that Paul.

Don't suppose you have any scenic daylight images you could share so we can see the quality?

Also, any more word on Gallery BT beaming - did you have a look and see where it's located, as I sure can't find it...

Guest spacerace

daytime pictures aren't so bad actually, it's the even remotely low light pictures that are rubbish. suddenly "noise" (speckles) appears all over the place !

So somebody PLEASE help me out here, and tell me where I go to find BT sending direct from the Gallery on a C500...??

Or am I totally getting my wires crossed, and you mean in Windows Mobile 5? If so, then thanks for the heads up - can't say I spotted this when I had a play with it, but good to know if it is there now...

So, clarify?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I was talking about on WM2005, but as I said, the Album application on the T-Mobile SDA music (well the one from Germany anyway) is virtually identical to the one on the C500 but it allows you to beam from it.

Guest shadamehr
Yes, I was talking about on WM2005, but as I said, the Album application on the T-Mobile SDA music (well the one from Germany anyway) is virtually identical to the one on the C500 but it allows you to beam from it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not 'that' identical then...

Not on the C500...

Cheers though mate. Ta.

Guest Gears

The C550 is appearing in Orange update gumph this month but I am still hearing July 11th. Either way it's always a hit 'n miss affair getting one in the first few days

Guest drblow

Any chance people who have used this or similar QVGA devices could post a list of apps that can be confirmed as either working or not? It would be much appreciated as this will probably be the biggest factor influencing whther or not I buy one of these babies! Although, all that extra homescreen space is gonna be hard to resist! ;)

June edition of T3 magazine in the UK suggests that the C550 won't out until around December of this year.

May not be the most reliable or accurate source but it's another date to throw in to the mix...

I guess a December launch/release might allow for a Windows Mobile 5 option... :??:

Guest glofi
Will all of my apps & games just work OK on this larger screen res?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sitting with a C550 here now. Picture and info will be released during the day on www.mysmartphone.no ;)

Guest guanche
I'm sitting with a C550 here now. Picture and info will be released during the day on www.mysmartphone.no ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cannut read un singul wurd un yur page.. :D

I hope that the newly released Tom Tom mobile 5 will work properly on the C550. If no product compatibility details will come available, I will test it in the store and tell ya'll. (I doubt it that I will be the first to test Tom Tom though)

Guest dearsina
Erm, I am pretty sure you CAN send via BT directly from the gallery application?

You select 'Beam' or something (don't have my phone to hand), and it shows the IR device and then the BT devices.

Can anyone else confirm?

I don't know how you've done it Shadamehr, I can't STAND the S60 UI!

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO - You cannot Use BT nor Infrared directly from the Album app.

BUT - Sometimes in menus, for instance the default File Browser, it will only say 'Beam' but it really means 'Beam or BT'.

I just checked it out on my C500, I haven't installed any software on it or updated it (I just got it yesterday as an Orange repair thingy).

sina

/as frustratued as Shad because of this missing feature, what are they thinking when they make these things?

// Album software = 3 monkeys, 10 minutes

Guest dearsina
What's so special about WM5?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe this question still hasn't been answered. I don't know much about mobile operating systems so it would be great if perhaps someone could shed some light on what exactly is in store for us with the new version. Or is it just even more stable or "secure" or some other fancy buzzword?

I would disagree with comparing the topics and talk about this phone launch to the one of the C500, the C500 was quite a jump in design and size and form factor and features (MiniSD, long battery life, different scroll bar, different OS, etc).

For those of you who have been here long enough, you'll probably remember the talk when the E100 came out, some fancy new features and a new look (not much smaller though), but besides that nothing — a much better comparison.

sina

Guest muff
Anyone know WHY they will be launching a phone with a 262,000 colour screen, if the software allegedly only supports 65,000 colours as at present.

Surprised this has not been debated in this thread, unless I have missed it..

a) Why put the 262K screen in at all if so, and

:D can this be hacked?  And if it can, why don;t the manufacturers or MS sort it themselves?

personally I want to stick with 65,000 colours (16bit) instead of going up to 262,000 (24 bit)

there are 2 reasons for me personally

1. you are not going to really see the difference. yes there will be a difference, but frankly it's not something you are actually going to notice in the normal day to day scope of things

2. more bits means more memory for both the display and for all gfx held in memory (or else they are slower to push to the screen as they wont be in native format) and more memory effectively means doubling the memory requirement of app with lots of gfx (games especially fall into this category)

so personally I'm quite happy with 16bit gfx 'hot-wired' onto the 24 bit hardware

;)

p.s. the reason we are probably getting 24bit screens is that's just the level that the lcd guys make ALL their screens now

Edited by muff

Guest MitchellO
so personally I'm quite happy with 16bit gfx 'hot-wired' onto the 24 bit hardware

p.s. the reason we are probably getting 24bit screens is that's just the level that the lcd guys make ALL their screens now

True. I don't really care atm. It just isn't an upgrade that I want (or need). I'll take less memory use any day!

Guest muff

oh and I forgot to mention that more bits per pixel means that the phone is pushing more data around, therefore the same game on 2 phones that are identical apart from the pixels depth will be slower on the 24 bit screen

this means that the cpu is working harder to give you the same gfx speed you are getting now

Guest Ozzie252
..... the C550 is shorter that the C500 but about 4mm thicker and 10g heavier. Battery life is also said to be reduced a little by 1 hour talk time, and 0.3 days standby time over the C500.

I wonder why the battery life is that different when effectivly the insides are almost identical? :D

Source: http://www.msmobilenews.com/?cid=896

Do you not think that being thicker, heavier, battery life being less, and the length of time its actually taken to get this phone out etc etc.... that there must be some new features not present in the C500? Maybe your contact WAS right and it has Wi-Fi. Just a hunch but we can hope ;)

Guest Tunney
I believe this question still hasn't been answered. I don't know much about mobile operating systems so it would be great if perhaps someone could shed some light on what exactly is in store for us with the new version. Or is it just even more stable or "secure" or some other fancy buzzword?

I don't think you'll notice a big difference at first, especially on a Smartphone. However, it does appear that Microsoft will be offering a wider and better range of APIs to developers with WM5.0. It won't be long before you start seeing lots of cool new software that will only work with WM5.0.

My personal opinion is that the C550 isn't a big enough upgrade on the C500 after a year's wait. It sounds like Orange are just pushing it out to catch those coming to an end of their original C500 contracts. I won't upgrade to another Windows Smartphone until they have 3G support. Smartphones ideal for making best use of data connections and with 3G it's both faster (384Kbps vs. 56kbps) and cheaper (50p/MB vs. £2/MB). I'm going to stick with my new Nokia 6680 3G smartphone until Microsoft's partners bring out something to rival it.

Edited by Tunney

Guest shadamehr
NO - You cannot Use BT nor Infrared directly from the Album app.

BUT - Sometimes in menus, for instance the default File Browser, it will only say 'Beam' but it really means 'Beam or BT'.

I just checked it out on my C500, I haven't installed any software on it or updated it (I just got it yesterday as an Orange repair thingy).

sina

/as frustratued as Shad because of this missing feature, what are they thinking when they make these things?

// Album software = 3 monkeys, 10 minutes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers mate - exactly what I meant - what use to man or beast, is having to note down the name of a file or files you want to send that you are looking at in the gallery, exit that app, load up a file browser (and a third party one at that), remember where the file was, browse to that location, and then use a slow and tedious method of sending files itself, to BlueTooth send it to another device...

Intuitive..? Not on your nelly...

Smart...? For monkies maybe...

The whole arena where the SmartPhone fails miserably against just about any cheap kiddy handset on the market these days...? Sure is...

DOH!

Guest Pondrew

Which is why the C550 DOES allow the sending of pics/vids through gallery.

Getting back on topic (or heading that way anyway!), when the size of the C500 became apparently shortly before it came out it seemed a revolution over every other Smartphone that was out there. To this day it's the smallest Smartphone so I don't think we can expect an improvement in form factor anytime soon.

The C550 will be the first Smartphone with QVGA. Yes it would have been nice to have had Windows Mobile 5 but I guess they had to make a decision based on the release date of Windows Mobile 5 and how reliable it is at present. In a way history is just repeating itself. The MPX200 was released with Smartphone 2002 despite the imminent release of Windows Mobile 2003...

If I was shopping for a Smartphone I'd buy it...

Guest Pagemakers

The 550's nowhere near advanced enough to upgrade from the 500.

Personally, I think it's a really disappointing product and will probably be the only SPV I won't be buying.

Guest C00LH4ND
;)  :D  ;)

I know. Looks like a great phone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on own up whose looking at the phone in this picture.. :D

Guest Pagemakers

Please, please HTC give me a phone with a decent keypad, that's all I ask. The C500 buttons are like dead lifeless bits of poo (nice) ;)

As far as looks go I think the C500/500 is pretty average.

This is a nice looking phone and oooooh, those buttons - just asking to be pressed (apart from the no2 button)....

sony.jpg

Edited by Pagemakers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.