new to pocket PC's

Guest tedblight

Guest tedblight

hiya - just got my first pocket pc - Orange M2000 - i read that they can't be turn off, just put on standby - ok but wot do you do when the pocket pc locks up???? How would you alt-ctrl-del???

Edited by tedblight

Guest Disco Stu

If all else fails, stick your stylus up the tiny hole on the bottom of the device and soft reset.

Assuming the M2000 is the same as the Jam, it's on the right of the headphone socket.

Guest tedblight

Thanks for that - but I’ve still got a few questions I hope you might answer.

Heres my setup...

SPV M2000

Tomtom 3

Parrot BT Carkit

1GB SDCard

Wi-Fi wireless broadband (the best thing about PPC IMO)

Installed programs

Tomtom

PocketTV

Taskmanger

Virtual Pool

Dynamo

WindowsMediaPlayer QuickLaunch

(used to have SPV C500)

I've had to reset my phone several times in the first couple of day, as i try and test various programs, some that work well and some that don't....

For example, I had my phone set up just great last-night, tomtom working fine etc etc - when i noticed the BT icon was off (i use it for my carkit)- so i tapped it and it told me to reset the phone to activate it (something like 'driver not installed')

So, using 'taskmanager' i selected reset (not hardreset) and taskmanager warned me that all unsaved info would be lost... I assumed that meant open word documents etc...

Anyway, when i reset it wouldn't boot up again.... I got the Windows logo, then a quick flash of the next logo (Windows Pocket PC 2003 i think) then it was just a white screen.... i've left it for a good 30min...

The only way I could get back in was to push the reset button and hold the power on button...

I've used xBackup but it still leaves me with a lot of configuring to do...

Also - what are the main/best PPC websites - i love coolsmartphones.com but thats for my old C500 - i would love tips etc for a new PPC user....

Also going from a normal phone to a PPC - whats the best way of wighting text messages, ie Keyboard, onscreen keyboard, Transcriber, Letter Recognizer.... Its one hell of a shock to the system and very very slow when your not used to it...

PS I'm still quite happy - i got the phone online for £10 on a 12month oranage contract at £45p/m - not a bad price i though as orange wanted £139 for the handset on the same priceplan... ain't it mad when online stores can beat orange themselfs for there own handset!!!

Comment please - thank you everyone....

Edited by tedblight

Guest tedblight

ARGGGHHHHHHHH

someone please help - i've just tryed a restore with xbackup and now it won't boot... I get an error unregisterClass()

I want to cry :cry:

Guest tedblight

;) things are looking up

it seems that when i install the Windows Media Player homescreen plugin - i get an error at the end of the install, but the plugin works fine - anyway i've installed each program at a time and reset - so far its been ok - i'll keep that program off... shame it looks useful as well....

Guest Pondrew

Forgive this question, I feel stupid even asking it, but you are installing Pocket PC software and not Smartphone software aren't you?

Guest tedblight

not a stupid question m8 - but no, i ain't - i got it all from the freeware on this site... so far ive reset several time and it all been fine.... I just haven't installed that Windows Media Quick Launch....

Guest Pondrew

Admittedly I don't install loads on my MDA III but it's always been stable.

Only one prog ever caused it to lock up and that was a virtual desktop which allowed you to change the screen resolution.

Sorry can't be any more help. If you're installing Pocket PC software it should work...

Only suggestion would be to make sure you've got the latest rom and if you haven't to seek it out (someone's just posted a link on here which I'm ASSUMING is genuine).

Guest tedblight
You are installing all that software onto the storage card ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, should i be? I only have my tomtom maps, mp3s & videos on the storage card...

Guest tedblight
No, should i be?  I only have my tomtom maps, mp3s & videos on the storage card...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow - as we speak there is an Orange ROM update just released for the M2000 - i hope someone has started a topic on Modaco about it - i'd be very intrested in the pros and cons of the update

Guest Disco Stu

You should install everything you can onto the storage card to save precious memory.

My guess is that lack of memory is causing the crashes.