Headphone adapter for C500

Guest ZeroK66

Guest ZeroK66

Hi Guys,

As the title clearly states I want to connect up my Sony headphones to my C500. I have seen adapters on Expansys - but they have a bulky block on the end which is not ideal. Is there a sleek adapter cord I can use (One with some length to it too)?

Anyone know where I can also get a 0.5m Headphone extension cable? My sony headphones have a very short cord on them ;)

Guest ZeroK66

Thanks guys...

Question I have is - do these work? They dont have the 4 pins on the 2.5mm side? I assume the 4th is for the mic - but is this the 4th connector on there?

Thanks

Guest celica1.8st

There was a bit of a discussion about this before. The one in the post above from ebay can be purchased for about a pound from Maplin - that is the one I have got. They are not ideal as they are heavy under the phone. The best ones to get are the right angle ones, but as for if you need 4 pins or 3 I'm not 100% sure, I mean I have the cheap one with 3 pins and it appears to work, but someone on here did some tests and identified that it was shorting inside the phone so you got Left audio in the Left Channel and Left and Right Audio in the Right Channel (or vice versa)

The one at expansys for about £10 is perfect it is a right angle and has the 4 pins

Guest ZeroK66

Cool - I cant find the one you mention on expansys 0- all I can find are the ones with the block on a cable wtih 2 sockets - one for headphones one for headset. Can you find a link? ;)

Guest celica1.8st

I think that is the one I had seen. It should have a right angle plug which goes into the phone, then an ugly block on the end of a cable with two sockets - It's the best I've seen - but expensive :cry:

*edit*

This one would be perfect though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WD2V

38_1.JPG

Edited by celica1.8st

Guest ZeroK66

Nice - I had seen that one, but been hesitant given it was from the USA. But sod it, its done, worked out to be £9 with delivery to the UK, so now I just got to be patient.

Now all I need is a headphone extension cable 3.5mm (M) - 3.5mm (F) 0.5m

Guest mossywell

Before diving in with an adapter from Ebay, you might want to consider the following questions first.

1. How do you want the phone's microphone to be enabled when the earphones are plugged in?

2. Do you want to have a separate microphone as well / instead?

3. Would a retractable cable be of any use?

4. How important is sound quality?

5. How important is the "compactness" of the adapter?

I mention this because before I got mine from Seidio, I did a bit of research, e.g. here. You'll see that it's possible to have an adapter that does not disable the handset microphone and that to do this, the adapter must have three, not four pinouts as with the Radio Shack one.

In my case, this is exactly what I was after (as opposed to a separate microphone) so that when receiving a call, I could talk into the handset whilst keeping the headphones on. (A bit ecccentric perhaps. ;) ) Hence the reason I went for the three pinout adapter, not the four. I initially got the Radio Shack one and it worked exactly as described but was too bulky, so I got the Seidio one instead. Much more compact. The only downside is that it does disable the headset microphone. No idea why and it's not been a problem is practice, but it's a bit disappointing because it looks exactly the same (and yes, it is stereo)!

The moral of the story: YMMV and 4 pinouts in not necessary best.

HTH

M

Guest ZeroK66

Thanks Mossy...

I see your point, but I always take my headset out when talking on the phone. rather have the phone by my ear (cooking my brain) so the 4-pin one I have chosen should be fine.

I have read horror stories about the 3 pin ones as mentioned above... it not quite being the right size and so shorting out pins and getting incorrect channel audio... and so I wanted a 4 pin one ;)

The one I have chosen looks nice and compact which was the other thing I really wanted :D

Guest mossywell
... I have read horror stories about the 3 pin ones as mentioned above... it not quite being the right size and so shorting out pins and getting incorrect channel audio... and so I wanted a 4 pin one ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I remember reading the same stuff and I certainly took a chance when buying my adapter. However, I'm sure that the gold plating makes a difference when plugged into a pair of Shure E2Cs! :D

Guest SeaneyC

3 or 4 pole adapters are exactly the same length if the build is correct (certainly the adapter i got off ebay was), the only pole that gets missed out is the mic input, so no danger of "shorting" out any current in the phone, in fact, it's probably quite good to keep the mic input pulled down to ground when not in use anyway! Gold plating is a bit of a funny one too, and makes next to no difference for contact quality, HOWEVER does have the benefit of preventing contact corrosion over time, which can only be a good thing ;)

The adapter i got was just like the one celica posted from a guy in maidenhead on ebay - Only cost about £3.50 i think too.

Guest mossywell
3 or 4 pole adapters are exactly the same length if the build is correct (certainly the adapter i got off ebay was

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably part of the problem: that the black "bars" that separate each pinout aren't always exactly where they're supposed to be. IIRC, the 4C layout does vary slightly from device to device, though God only knows where I read that!

Gold plating is a bit of a funny one too, and makes next to no difference for contact quality, HOWEVER does have the benefit of preventing contact corrosion over time, which can only be a good thing ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite right - corrosion does affect impedance albeit by a small amount on such wafer-thin laters. However, you missed one vital factor. It looks good and makes me feel much better - which makes my music sound better. (Shall I carry on digging?) LOL :D

• 4 months later...
Before diving in with an adapter from Ebay, you might want to consider the following questions first.

1. How do you want the phone's microphone to be enabled when the earphones are plugged in?

2. Do you want to have a separate microphone as well / instead?

3. Would a retractable cable be of any use?

4. How important is sound quality?

5. How important is the "compactness" of the adapter?

I mention this because before I got mine from Seidio, I did a bit of research, e.g. here. You'll see that it's possible to have an adapter that does not disable the handset microphone and that to do this, the adapter must have three, not four pinouts as with the Radio Shack one.

In my case, this is exactly what I was after (as opposed to a separate microphone) so that when receiving a call, I could talk into the handset whilst keeping the headphones on. (A bit ecccentric perhaps. ;) ) Hence the reason I went for the three pinout adapter, not the four. I initially got the Radio Shack one and it worked exactly as described but was too bulky, so I got the Seidio one instead. Much more compact. The only downside is that it does disable the headset microphone. No idea why and it's not been a problem is practice, but it's a bit disappointing because it looks exactly the same (and yes, it is stereo)!

The moral of the story: YMMV and 4 pinouts in not necessary best.

HTH

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I took a look at the research that you did (great work, by the way), and came to the conclusion that the PC-mobile retractable headset was the one that suited my needs, so went ahead and bought it. I had previously used something akin to the PX25HA.

I used it for a month, and it worked very well - sound quality was good with a pair of Sony MDR-EX71 buds, making and receiving calls was easy and clear. However, after about a month of use, i started to lose the sound from the left phone, and could only retrieve it by playing around with the adaptor jack, making me think that a connection is loose or broken in the cable leading up to the jack. i had a similar problem with the other adaptor as well.

is this something that anyone else has experienced with any adaptors? is this simply a problem with the way that i store my phone (i keep it in a leather case, and it was held in a dashboard cradle in the car, or upside-down if stored in my pocket)? does anyone have any tips?

further to the problem i highlighted above, i emailed pc-mobile and got a response back the following day saying that they would send me a replacement adaptor! i'm impressed, as i thought they wouldn't send anything at all - notice in despatch stated that there would be no returns on adaptors.

if anyone is interested, you can find this item here:

http://pc-mobile.net/spvaa.htm

Guest abit late

For the price, the PC-Mobile adapter is very poor quality. The main flaw is the insulation - it needs to be thin to minimise the size of the spring and recoiler but it is so thin that the insulation splits and breaks away from the wires at the termination points. It only takes very little gentle use for this to happen. In my case I used it on average once a week for 1/2 hr at a time for 6 weeks - thats approx 3 hours use!! It only has a six month warranty. It should be priced at £4 or maybe £5 tops.

I would not recommend the PC-Mobile adapter at all. The problem is the lack of alternatives :x

• 3 months later...
Guest BanziBarn
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rce=14&doy=28m2

I use one I bought from Radioshack, cost about £2, but seem them in Maplin, no lead just a straight plugin adaptor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the one I bought first - worked fine but was slightly concerned that the length might put stress on the socket, so I've bought the one in my previous post now which is perfect. :)