SD card speed

Guest orbitalpunk

Guest orbitalpunk

Can anyone tell me if the PDA2K or PDA2 can take advantage of the speed increase when using a Sandisk Ultra II SD card or would it not help at all and I should just buy the regular normal speed SD card.

Thanks for any input

Guest Confused Stu

OK, I have no scientific basis for this but bear with me for a minute, OK?

I've got a C500 and a 512Mb MiniSD card, not an "ultrafast" one or anything special. When I put a large file (say a 200Mb film file) onto the card via the phone it takes several minutes to go through. When I put the same file onto the card using a USB card reader it goes through in seconds. My reasoning therefore is that the phone is the limiting factor rather than the card's speed, so a faster card won't make any difference.

I know your PDA is quite a bit more powerful than my C500, but I still think that is going to be the limiting factor rather than the card's access speed. If the card's more expensive, just go for a "normal" one - after all a ferrari is no quicker than a fiesta in a traffic jam! ;)

Guest orbitalpunk

yeah, thats what I figured. i just was just hoping imate would have improved upon the data rate since it the latest phone. but i guess there's not point cuase the phone cant even prosccess that much data.

i emailed i-mate and they said my photo's might shoot quicker in succession but thats it.

Thanks for replying tho.

Guest fraser

I've copied stuff over WiFi, it's a bit faster than USB but still not near the max SD speed. It's defo not a USB 2.0 connection for the cradle. Loading applications/data might benefit from the faster card. I usually go for the fastest ones anyway, as I've got a card reader as well.

Guest Porkspeare

I use a 1GB integral 66x SD Card in the XDA IIs, seems a tad better at playing films and music. Other than that, pretty much the same as the others.

Guest matt1971

Hi,

Have both a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB SD card and an Integral 256MB SD Card.

BIG difference in transfers rates using a USB 2.0 reader.

Copilot access time for maps is also quicker using the Sandisk card.

Upgrading soon to a 1GB Ultra II, as am finding the Integral card too slow.

Matt