Remove certification requirement from the SPV (continued)

Guest Rob_Quads

thanks to all the people that produced the "newbie friendly" guides to doing this, i managed it successfully 1st time last night.

and just have a few questions

1. does this invalidate my warentee?

2. can i put the phone back to the way orange had it without them ever knowing i had done this?

3. is there anything else i need to do to stop orange updating the phone back (i have read the whole topic and i know there is some discussion about deleting certain files, but does anyone have a conclusive solution)

thanks again to all the people that made this possible. if orange spent as much effort working with you rather than against you they would have everything solved by now im sure!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

davem1919: Had the same file names on my spv as well, which edited and had unlocked within 10 minutes.

I'm just re-reading the cnet article then will probably send off some hate mail as well ;)

Guest spacemonkey
and just have a few questions

1. does this invalidate my warentee?

2. can i put the phone back to the way orange had it without them ever knowing i had done this?

3. is there anything else i need to do to stop orange updating the phone back (i have read the whole topic and i know there is some discussion about deleting certain files,  but does anyone have a conclusive solution)

1. Orange could try that I spose, but at the end of the day an ordinary hard reset sets it back to normal without a trace so they'd have no way of knowing you've done this.

2. Yes, just do a normal hard reset

3. Bit unknown, Orange could potentially "fix" your phone it 2 ways I know of, by sending you an update through Orange Update. If a ROM update comes out, I'd wait until someone tried it and confirmed whether it breaks this or not. Orange is also theoretically able to push XML updates to your phone (this is how they should be enabling developer phones). They could potentially use this to close the hole and the current guess is that this might relate to EzPushRouter which is part of startup (/IPSM/Windows/Startup) so some more paranoid people have removed this from startup. It's still on the phone, just doesn't run in the background all the time. Time will tell on this issue...

The process is inherintly "safe" although I can't provide any guarantees, as long as your phone can successfully hard reset this technique can always be reversed by hard reseting again.

By the way, for anyone concerned, following the procedure to unlock your phone from certification does not invalidate the warranty. If Orange try this, ask them to refer it to their legal department, and mention to them that they did not inform you originally that such a procedure would invalidate the warranty.

I'm getting people saying that their phone is now unlocked - and are running software on it, but when they check the two MXIPxxxxx files, the security settings are back the same as before?..

Why?

Guest spacemonkey

Checking the files means nothing. Each reboot /windows is reset so the files get set back.

The two files are ONLY used by the OS once on first boot from a hard reset. The information is then written into the registry which exists maybe in /IPSM or something.

The best way to check whether the phone is right is to try to install something to it, like the PHM Registry manager.

Guest Kallisti

Because they're stored in EEPROM (like read only memory, but you can write to it... ;) ), so when you reboot, any change you made are lost. However, this is not the DB that's being fiddled with, that one is on the phone's flash memory, so isn't lost.

I think either:

Orange is trying to calm the press down and stop them ranting about how vulnerable the SPV is

or

Orange genuinely believe that the SPV workaround only works til restart - perhaps they're basing this on just checking the provxml files.

Please help

i have been waiting all day to get home from work to use may cradle to sync and apply the cert fix but i DO NOT have (or can see) the two files for editing. not under the said names anyhow....

me have been having major probs with lock up and have had a new phone recently you don't think they have got onto this and ammend the window dir?????

please help.....

keen to get on-IF you know what i mean. ;)

kmon... :roll:

Guest awarner [MVP]
TheReg has articled the work-around again.http://212.100.234.54/content/59/28898.html

I liked the final part of that story..

The 'certified app only' route allows whoever owns the distribution channel to tithe the developers, and they're probably more interested in the 'few developers, big bucks' model from the games console industry than in small and solo developers who often will make very little, or even - horror - give the stuff away. Playing the security card therefore comes in handy if you see dealing with these guys as unprofitable, more trouble than it's worth,

Just download a trial virsion of TURJah install it on

IPSMWINDOWSSTART MENUGAMES

GETTING ERROR MESSAGE turjah is not a vaild windows CE application.

Do I have to do the hard Reset Again!!!!!!

MyTools works ok Ish it displays the clock but why I getting this error message.. above with turjah :oops:

is it because of the trial version of the game???

or do I have to Pay for the full Version???

Please Help!!!!