Orange SPV M500 Released!

Guest Dade

Guest ClintEastman

Because im kicking up such a fuss they just offered me a M2000 £104, is it worth doing that? Never had a look at the M2000 (always imagined it would be too big).

Guest Pondrew

Well the M2000 is great but it's not small. It a more fully featured Pocket PC then the M500 and with a full size screen but if you're looking for a small device like an M500 or Smartphone it WON'T be what you're looking for.

Guest mbeattie

Cheers for the pics confused and hungover, i am swaying towards m500 now.

Because my mobile comes EVERYWHERE with me i want a decent camera, music, video and mobile office with me.

Hopefully the m500 has it all in one so i dont have to carry too many pieces of kit around with me :)

Edited by mbeattie

Guest confused and hungover
Cheers for the pics confused and hungover, i am swaying towards m500 now.

Because my mobile comes EVERYWHERE with me i want a decent camera, music, video and mobile office with me.

Hopefully the m500 has it all in one so i dont have to carry too many pieces of kit around with me  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the frame rate for movies is also quite impressive for a phone, not jerky like the C500, i tried to make a movie of a bonfire with the C500 and it was just a mess, with the M500 you can actually see it's fire you're filming. i'll burn something tonight and post the movie over the weekend (lost the origional in the that 'hard reset' debacle)

EDIT: thinking back to last weekends dropping down the stairs drunk incident, i might get my girlfriend to film it, i'll just stand back and shout advice

Edited by confused and hungover

Guest ClintEastman
Well the M2000 is great but it's not small. It a more fully featured Pocket PC then the M500 and with a full size screen but if you're looking for a small device like an M500 or Smartphone it WON'T be what you're looking for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh your right, went into the lions den (Orange Retail) on the way home to have a look at one, of course they didn't have one so i had to go to the O2 shop next door.... Nice but i think it would be too big (but it's not as big as i thought it would be!!

the frame rate for movies is also quite impressive for a phone, not jerky like the C500, i tried to make a movie of a bonfire with the C500 and it was just a mess, with the M500 you can actually see it's fire you're filming. i'll burn something tonight and post the movie over the weekend (lost the origional in the that 'hard reset' debacle)

EDIT: thinking back to last weekends dropping down the stairs drunk incident, i might get my girlfriend to film it, i'll just stand back and shout advice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if I had a M500 it wouldn't be long untill i put out some vDub config files for it, if i can get a MPx200 play a DivX to do a steady 25fps I'm betting M500 FLY!!!...

Guest soup dragon
Well i have just spoken to Updates, and guess what, the M500 IS business only for the foreseeable future (E.G. not out for at least 3 months).

I dunno. :)

I'm still getting the same thing from OCS. I think I'm going to give Orange 1 more week and then it's 'Hello T-Mobile' for me.

The only thing that stopped me changing this week was I thought that if I did change the M500 would be released 2 days later. The othe problem is that I spend a bit of holiday time in one of the places int he UK that T-Mobile have no coverage - but that could easily be sorted.

I'm a small business account and I still can't get an M500. Tell me Mr Orange what's the difference between a company that has 48 employees and one that has 50 employees????

Guest Behold

Spoke to a few now and there all saying ints in the phone section and its never in there inless its comming and a few say there told its with in the month.

I have had told to me it will be on domestic soon but no dat can be given as they don't know when they will release.....

Its sooo frustrating but if its not here by august i will be voicing much concern...... its worked in the past i thik i have had about 400 quid now from orange in compensation. on oly 3 complaints...... not to bad. maybe the next a complimentry M500....?

Guest MitchellO

I never understood why people said the Magicians camera was terrible. Its been better than many of the PDA cameras I have tried.

Guest Dade

I have been told be my contacts at Orange that they plan to have the M500 and the C550 available to everyone within the next 2-3 weeks. Apparently their biggest problem at the moment is stock or lack of!

I think the M500 camera is pretty good actually. Mine suffers with a little noise but overall its brilliant for a phone camera!

Spoke to a few now and there all saying ints in the phone section and its never in there inless its comming and a few say there told its with in the month.

I have had told to me it will be on domestic soon but no dat can be given as they don't know when they will release.....

Its sooo frustrating but if its not here by august i will be voicing much concern...... its worked in the past i thik i have had about 400 quid now from orange in compensation. on oly 3 complaints...... not to bad. maybe the next a complimentry M500....?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How on earth do you get compensation for the late release of a handset?!

& what have they compensated you for?

hey, they should be giving us ALL free M500s. Any news yet on the pricing?

Guest commonpersonjustlykeverybody

i dunno bout you people but, if you can take a look at these here. you can see that this handset was out for ages. snap out of it. :) :D :D

Guest ClintEastman
i dunno bout you people but, if you can take a look at these here. you can see that this handset was out for ages. snap out of it. :)  :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES WE KNOW! :roll:

Guest hennapod
Yeah, how can they give you compensation??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess a kind of compensation is getting an M2000 for free (£0!) on a £30 per month contract!

I phoned up Orange asking for my PAC number explaining that I wanted an M500 but that they were only for Business customers and therefore I wanted to transfer to T-Mobile and get an MDA Compact. The guy on the phone confirmed that the M500 was only for business customers and said that he could upgrade me to an M2000 for free! I couldn't resist - its arriving on Monday.

Guest MitchellO

The M2000 is nice. I would have gotten one, but couldn't afford it. I like the b/i KB and wifi. Both things I miss from my iPAQ 4355.

Guest NikLP

Somebody mentioned something about the M500 firmware not being as 'fully featured' as an M2000 etc - what are the differences if any between the two (in firmware terms).

I would have thought it pretty pointless to not just have the same stuff as a normal PocketPC OS?

Am reconsidering my options on this matter - if I can get an M2000 for nothing (which is possible) would I be better getting that than an M500 (probably also free)?

Guest Pondrew
Somebody mentioned something about the M500 firmware not being as 'fully featured' as an M2000 etc - what are the differences if any between the two (in firmware terms).

I would have thought it pretty pointless to not just have the same stuff as a normal PocketPC OS?

Am reconsidering my options on this matter - if I can get an M2000 for nothing (which is possible) would I be better getting that than an M500 (probably also free)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops, that was something I said. But it's not the firmware of the M500 that's less fully featured then the M2000, it's the actual spec. ie the M500 has less memory, smaller screen, no hardware keyboard, no wifi...

Guest NikLP

Well said that man.

I think I will be missing the WiFi a whole lot in this model, but I suppose I'll live.

I can't see the wood for the trees at the minute... So many HTC models being released!!

Oops, that was something I said. But it's not the firmware of the M500 that's less fully featured then the M2000, it's the actual spec. ie the M500 has less memory, smaller screen, no hardware keyboard, no wifi...

Two things that I haven't missed at all on the M500 over the M2000 is the Keyboard and the WiFi. I didnt find them that useful on the M2000.

I think the screen on the M500 is much sharper than on the M1000/M2000.

The only thing I can negative I can find on the M500 is the smaller memory but IN practice this isnt too big a deal, you just install stuff on your memory card!

Guest soup dragon
Two things that I haven't missed at all on the M500 over the M2000 is the Keyboard and the WiFi.

Interesting. One of the big selling points to me of the M500 is that I can pop a SD wifi card in and check a couple of web sites without having to hang around for gprs.

The wifi on my 'old' Toshiba e800 ppc is absolutely the most used feature. To combine that functionality with a phone sounds great - I'll wait and see if it's all I'm hoping for.

More internal memory would have been nice though. :?:

Guest MitchellO
but the m500 fits in your pocket & you won't look a complete twat holding it up to your head to use as a phone...
Thats the biggest plus of the Magician!!!

Two things that I haven't missed at all on the M500 over the M2000 is the Keyboard and the WiFi. I didnt find them that useful on the M2000.

These are the things I miss most from my iPAQ 4355. It had a great thumboard and b/i WiFi was just so convienent.

An SD WiFi partially fixed the problem, but it one more tiny device to carry (and lose), and I can't have my 1Gb SD in while using WiFi. Nothing will replace the kb though.

One of the big selling points to me of the M500 is that I can pop a SD wifi card in and check a couple of web sites without having to hang around for gprs.

The wifi on my 'old' Toshiba e800 ppc is absolutely the most used feature. To combine that functionality with a phone sounds great

This is why I am looking forward to the Universal. VGA, keyboard, WiFi and phone all in one!!!

Guest Behold

The compensation for a late phone is due to the fact they have kept feeding false information this allone is poor customer services. i got money out of orange for being hung up on by someone so giving false info should be just as big of an issue.

Im sooo hacked i really want this phone. i have more chance getting on made of solid gold at the moment......

Bah - just got told by OSPS that the M500 won't be in until next week now - wish they'd make their bloody minds up!

Edited by Hax

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.