Orange SPV M500 Released!

Guest Dade

Guest Brody

http://www.msmobilenews.com/?cid=911

Read above for some Orange Retail news (Cheers Andy Doyle for your investigative work!!)

Basically the shops are receiving dummy models and, in London at least, are still awaiting stock of M500's but had display models of the C550 (not for sale though).

Edited by Brody

Guest eSrem

I already have the SPV M500 (I live in The Netherlands) and it is just awesome.

Its my first smartphone, and I just love it. I can browse the Internet without much problems. Easily sync it to my computer etc etc etc.

The only thing i miss though, is a 'touchscreen'-block functionality that blocks all input from the screen but still running the applets. This way I can put the phone in my pocket while playing music using windows media player.

I already have the SPV M500 (I live in The Netherlands) and it is just awesome.

Its my first smartphone, and I just love it. I can browse the Internet without much problems. Easily sync it to my computer etc etc etc.

The only thing i miss though, is a 'touchscreen'-block functionality that blocks all input from the screen but still running the applets. This way I can put the phone in my pocket while playing music using windows media player.

You can do this with windows media player. You have to assign one of the keys to "Toggle Display". Pressing the button will then blank the screen and disable the touch screen but leave media player running.

Well I have my official M500 on order. My account manager processed the order no probs and they are showing in stock!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... interestingly, I just googled for "Orange M500" and one of the sites I came back with was "expansys" who have the m500 listed as:

Availability: Discontinued

This product has been discontinued, the information below is for reference purposes only.

Link to the page is here: clicky-clicky

Guest ClintEastman
Hmmm... interestingly, I just googled for "Orange M500" and one of the sites I came back with was "expansys" who have the m500 listed as:

Link to the page is here: clicky-clicky

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite an old page now, at one point it was thought that it wouldn't be released in the UK.

Thank Baby Lord Jesus and the kittens it's coming out!! :) :D

Guest mcolbeck

Do you guys ring special numbers where there are actually people who know what they are talking about. I just had a guy insist that the M500 wont be out for a good while yet and my local shop say its not been released and they have no information as yet.

Do you guys ring special numbers where there are actually people who know what they are talking about.  I just had a guy insist that the M500 wont be out for a good while yet and my local shop say its not been released and they have no information as yet.

If you dont get anywhere when you speak to Orange ask to speak with e team leader. They should be able to sort you out, I get that all the time.

Guest ClintEastman

Well upgrades haven't had it added to there lists yet, its also not on the main list and there are no release date for it (still listed as being under evaluation). :cry:

Looks like it's another case of waiting for Orange to tell it's employees what's going on AGAIN!! :roll:

Any info Paul or are you not in the loop these days?

Edited by ClintEastman

Guest MitchellO
and an ugly looking jar.  :)  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely. I really dislike this new styling of the Magician.

Well upgrades haven't had it added to there lists yet, its also not on the main list and there are no release date for it (still listed as being under evaluation).  :cry:

Looks like it's another case of waiting for Orange to tell it's employees what's going on AGAIN!! :roll:

Any info Paul or are you not in the loop these days?

Its me thats currently 'in the loop' on this one. I can tell you that there really is no excuse for Orange not having the info on this. I've spoken to my account manager who says that the handset info IS listed on their system.

But yes it looks very much like the information isnt filtering down the ranks to the 'first line' people, I tried speaking to 150 and 158 and neither had any information until pushed to look on their 'other system'.

As said before, ask to speak to a team leader.

Guest shadamehr

Someone wants to 'av a word in the old web team's ear then...

As further to my post the other day, the website STILL says, Coming Soon!

Guest jonhitch

Fantastic Dade - how did you manage to order this in advance? Business customer?

Important question - what do you have in the box? Handsfree, Case/Holder, SD card, Charger (main and/or car). Would be really interested to know.

Please let us know what you think. I'm torn between this and an imate JAM styled version. I prefer the looks of the M500 however like the fact that there are more accesseries with the JAM.

Thanks!

Guest Alsicole

Now I'm interested. I'm currently with Vodafone and not due an upgrade for another 6 months, but I'd be willing to sign up for a new contract for this baby. Maybe I'll give Orange a call and see what they quote me. I checked the Orange store at the Trafford Centre on Sunday, no sign of them there.

OK guys.

In the box you get the M500, Battery, SyncCable, Headphones/headset, Charger, Carry Case, CD-Rom, Manual, SIM and Spare Stylus.

There is no docking cradle, no SD card, and just a single battery. The charger charges through the mini usb socket at the bottom. The sync cable also charges the device.

The 'carry case' is probably the worst thing I have ever seen!

I like the M500 better than the JAM, its nice in the darker grey colour.

I will try and review more as I get a chance!

I cant tell you how or where I got this one but I can tell you that the price you pay will depend on your tariff and call spend etc. Offline its £250.

Guest jonhitch

What is OSPS?

Dade - thanks for the pictures and info. What do you think of it so far. A few questions I have before i take the plunge

1. How does this compare with the JAM? I know technically they are the same however are there any pro's or cons with the versions? I've heard before that the M500 is slightly bigger, has slightly different connectors etc.

2. I suppose a big question is how easy is it to use as a phone. I'm really excited about getting a PDA however I'm used to making calls using a normal nobile (with keypad!). Is the touch sensitive dial screen good?

3. A similar question - how easy is it to send text messages using the touch screen. Does this have a good form of predictive text. i've mainly used Nokia systems which I feel are easier than Samsung or Siemens.

Thanks again for the info. I hope this is released on the website soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.