Maybe going from a VGA Dell -> Jam

Guest brykins

Guest brykins

I currently have a Dell Axim X50v and an SPV-C500 and as I very rarely use the Axim now that I have the smartphone, I am considering combining the two - getting rid of the Axim and replacing it with a JAM/MDA Compact.

The Axim has a 600+Mhz processor, 480x640VGA Screen, bluetooth, wifi, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, SD and CF card slots.

As I understand it, the Jam has the 240x320 screen, no wifi and only an SD card, right?

I'm not a big user of WiFi - in fact the only times I do use it are on clients sites to check my email, and that could be done with GPRS anyway.

So - are there any other things I might "miss" going to a JAM? Does it have a landscape mode? What are the memory options like? Are they easy to unlock as I may have to get a locked T-Mobile Compact and unlock it for my O2 sim.

Any advice would be great.

(And may well be open to offers on my X50v, or swaps for a Jam/Compact/similar)

Guest MitchellO

As I understand it, the Jam has the 240x320 screen, no wifi and only an SD card, right?

Correct. IT has a BEAUTIFUL 2.8" 240x320 screen. The SD slot is SDIO, and works great with an SD WiFi card (I use a sandisk)

I'm not a big user of WiFi - in fact the only times I do use it are on clients sites to check my email, and that could be done with GPRS anyway.

The JAM/Mini works great on GPRS. Email works very well, and can check at regular intevals. MSN also works good. You can also turn the pda off, and stay logged onto the GPRS, MSN and email!

So - are there any other things I might "miss" going to a JAM? Does it have a landscape mode? What are the memory options like?

Yes, it has landscape mode (as all WM2003SE devices do). Regarding memory, I have over half free, as I install my must have apps to the 7.6MB ROM storage, the ones I use without wifi (games mainly) on the SD, and apps that must be in RAM in (you guessed it), RAM! Stick a 1Gb SD in there, and your set to go with video/music/photos and lots more!

Guest brykins

I have the 1GB SD card here from my Axim, but I was worried about the lack of ROM - my Axim has over 90MB of free rom to install software in, meaning I have a hell of a lot of the RAM free as I only have three apps installed there. I guess since I won't be using a WiFi card, it won't be a problem to install games and stuff to SD and just use the 7.6MB to put Pocket Informant in, etc.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Jam and wondered if anyone had any comlaints about it.....

Guest duncan888

I've just moved from my SPV C500 to a Jam, and I think its great. Small, fast, great screen, great apps... doing very nicely for me at the moment.

Guest brykins

Okay - couple of more specific questions:

Are the JAM/MDA Compact/etc, all exactly the same in spec and operating systems, other than the providers/badge alterations to softeware and branding? Do they all have the same memory/processor/Windows version/etc?

Is there any kind of "keylock" for it? My C500 has a keylock so I can't make calls when it's in my pocket, but my PocketPC doesn't....a touch on the buttons turns it on. What about the Jam?

Guest newmoomin

how to i move apps to the rom area? i thought that was writtable? I have 10mb free extended rom, and some unused stuff in there, would be great to use this space.

Guest MitchellO

Are the JAM/MDA Compact/etc, all exactly the same in spec and operating systems, other than the providers/badge alterations to softeware and branding? Do they all have the same memory/processor/Windows version/etc?

Yep.

Is there any kind of "keylock" for it? My C500 has a keylock so I can't make calls when it's in my pocket, but my PocketPC doesn't....a touch on the buttons turns it on. What about the Jam?

Yes, you can set it to respond only to turn on when you press the power button, which is hard to bump. I have never had it come on accidentaly.

Guest brykins

Thanks or all the answers - couple more ;-)

I have a C500 and it comes with a USB charger....I see that the Jam comes with one as well. Does anyone know if they are the same? It'd be good to be able to leave one upstairs and one downstairs and charge either phone at either place. At least while I am making my mind up on whether to keep the C500 as a spare phone or not.

Are the people who developed the free unlock for the C500 developing one for the Jam? I ask as I unlocked the C500 via the £20 route but have just spent all my budget on the Jam and don't want to wait till pay day to unlock it if I can help it!

Anyone use a (UK) Virgin sim in a locked T-Mobile MDA Compact? Virgin use the T-Mobile network so it ought to work....

Guest MitchellO

Is the charger on your C500 have a miniusb plug on it? If so, it should but you may want to ask someone who has owned both.

Guest brykins
Is the charger on your C500 have a miniusb plug on it? If so, it should but you may want to ask someone who has owned both.

Yeah - the C500 has a mini-USB for charging, and as they are both made by HTC (in an ideal world), chargers would be interchangeable.....

Guest cyrilthefish
Yeah - the C500 has a mini-USB for charging, and as they are both made by HTC (in an ideal world), chargers would be interchangeable.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're interchangable.

Infact i still haven't unwrapped the new charger, using the C500 one :)

Guest brykins
They're interchangable.

Ahh....I just checked and found the very same thing, ten minutes before I saw your reply here. I was just packaging up my C500 (it's gone on Ebay, just hours after getting the MDA Compact!) and compared the two and yes, they are the same.

EDIT: Need to update my sig image now!

Edited by brykins