Help with 1.43 ROM upgrade

Guest Nashcom

Guest Nashcom

Hi all,

I followed the instructions on the Moto website to upgrade my MPX220 to the 1.43 ROM. When I do this it tells me that there are no updates available. I am new to this, can someone tell me if I am running the latest version? I don't see how I am. This is the black european version (unlocked/nonbranded). Under "about" here is the information I have on the phone:

Windows Mobile 2003 second edition

version 4.21.1088 (build 14326.1.2.0)

radio version 1.00

ROM Update Versions:

Operator: 0.40.6032.0

Manufacturer: 1.280.0.0

Microsoft: 4.21.14326.0

Language: 0.230.16.0

File System: 4.21.14326.0

Am I missing something here? I can't see how I am running the most current version. Particularly since I have many of the issues assosiated with older versions of the ROM that I have read on this site (slow pick up, bad or low sound etc.). Is the updater malfunctioning? Is my brain malfunctioning? :) Am I running the most current version now? :shock: Thanks for the help, Nash

The reason I am assuming that this is not the updated version is that this application (Picsel Viewer) is not on my phone. All I have is a file manager which will open ahh.. nothing.

Integrated viewer for Microsoft Office documents (Picsel Viewer)

The MPx220 comes with built-in support for the viewing of Microsoft Office based files (i.e. Word/Excel/PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat PDF-formatted documents – provided through the Picsel Viewer application.

mpx220.jpg

Edited by Nashcom

Guest Paraklas

There is nothing wrong with you or the phone. The online utility works for Cingular branded mpx220s and any other mpx220 like european ones will detect and just report that there are no new updates.

Before that step you are showing in the picture above, the utility scans your phone and creates a file systeminfo.xml which after data exchange is done, that file is sent to the motorola server and is used to determine what kind/version you have.

In order to trick the update utility to download the latest US-based Cingular ROM you can take the systeminfo.xml which is attached here and replace the one in your computer.

In brief..

1. Run the update utility and complete the step "Detecting Device/ Obtaining Device Information"

2. Without closing the utility, go to My Computer, and find the systeminfo.xml (stored in temporary folder, make sure your explorer is set to display hidden files and folders) and replace that file with the one from here.

Example: C:\Documents and Settings\paraklas\Local Settings\Temp\MPx220 System Update Wizard

3. Proceed to the next step in the utility which is "Connecting & data exchange"

4. The update should display that there are new updates available and will download the latest ROM.

systeminfo.xml

• 6 months later...

I followed Paraklas instruction to update the rom. During the update, step1, it shows a failed message and just freeze there. After about 10 minutes, I cancelled the process. The program closes. I waited for another minute to unplug the usb cable. Now I can longer turn on the phone. Does that mean my phone now has a corrupted rom? Any idea on why it would show a failed message and any way to fix this?

Thanks, any suggestion appreciated.

Dennis

Guest monkeygadge

Try a hard reset (switch on phone while holding down the big blue button).

YOu may of experienced difficulty in installing ROM if you do not have the correct drivers installed on your computer.

• 10 months later...

Hi Dennis

Did you manage to bring your phone back from the dead?

I have the same symptoms that you describe

regards

Fawk

I followed Paraklas instruction to update the rom. During the update, step1, it shows a failed message and just freeze there. After about 10 minutes, I cancelled the process. The program closes. I waited for another minute to unplug the usb cable. Now I can longer turn on the phone. Does that mean my phone now has a corrupted rom? Any idea on why it would show a failed message and any way to fix this?

Thanks, any suggestion appreciated.

Dennis

• 3 months later...
Guest strut_boy2000

when applying update 1 of 1 I have this errore:

DEtails:

dl fail: firmware Stage, 0x4010

Know when i start the phone, i have this: MDSXL-4-3280.xl

Download incompletely...

Know this phone is garbage or crap????

Guest geoffrey118

This phone is neither garbage nor crap - it's just that some people use the offline updater to actually update their ROM!! That was it's much safer!!

• 3 months later...
Guest cab!05

IM TRYING TO UPDATE MY MPX220 BUt from 1.0 to 1.3 but evry time I try I get An Error was returned from the system update server- please ty again later