Storage / storage memory / Program memory :?:

Guest J273

Guest J273

Ive got a 128 meg version of the JAM and using sprite backups space detective it shows i have

121.3 mb total main memory

Program memory: 84.8mb

Storage memory: 36.4mb

Stoarge : 26.7mb with big storage hack

what i want to know is that when i go and install an app and choose to install to the main memory does this go to the Program memory (84.8mb) / storage memory (36.4mb) or the storage (26.7mb)

And when i choose to install to the storage does this go to the Storage memory (36.4mb) or the storage (26.7mb)

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks

Guest brykins
Ive got a 128 meg version of the JAM  and using sprite backups space detective it shows i have

121.3 mb total main memory

Program memory: 84.8mb 

Storage memory: 36.4mb

Stoarge : 26.7mb with big storage hack

what i want to know is that when i go and install an app and choose to install to the main memory does this go to the Program memory (84.8mb) / storage memory (36.4mb) or the storage (26.7mb)

And when i choose to install to the storage does this go to the Storage memory (36.4mb) or  the storage (26.7mb)

Think of it like this:

Program Memory is like the RAM in your desktop PC. Storage Memory is like a "RAM drive" in on your desktop PC. Your 128MB of internal memory has been set (by you, using the slider) to be 36.4MB of storage space (where you can install software to and where data like your contacts, etc, are stored) and 84.8MB of memory where programs load to run. The more of this you have the better it will run and the more apps you can have open at any one time.

The Storage is like the hard drive on your desktop - it's there to install software to and to save data to. It doesn't get wiped after a hard reset or on losing your battery!

When an installer asks to install, if you choose Main Memory then this goes to your 36.4MB of Storage Memory. If you choose Storage then it goes into the 26.7MB of Storage.

Storage is set - in your case 26.7MB. Main Memory is dynamic - if you want to you could increase Storage Memory to 120MB - but it'd only leave your 8MB for actually running software. Your best bet by far is to install what you can to Storage and only install Today Screen plugins and software that specifically HAVE to go into Main Memory.

Does that make any sense?