MPx220 Says No Service when there is

Guest the_tempest

Guest the_tempest

Hey guys,

I have a MPx220 with the 1.43 ROM (which I just put on last night, hoping to help this problem ... but it is still happening) and am on T-Mobile.

The problem is that the phone switches to say "No Service" when there actually is. I can receive calls, make calls... etc... but once it switches to No Service is stays there until I restart the phone.

I've yet to find a pattern. It'll work fine for 12 hours and then do it. It will work for 2 hours then do it. It happens even when the phone is just sitting in a location that has Full bars all the time.

Can anyone help???? Please??

Thanks!

-Kevin

Guest Paraklas

Do you have another provider SIM card to test it (provided that the phone is unlocked)? Anything else could be like a hardware problem although some people have reported bad signal after ROM updates..

Guest the_tempest
Do you have another provider SIM card to test it (provided that the phone is unlocked)? Anything else could be like a hardware problem although some people have reported bad signal after ROM updates..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... I'll try another SIM card. I think I have an AT&T one..

The problem existed before I updated my ROM last night (I had 1.30 before I believe). The problem is still happening since upgrading to 1.43 :-(

I bought the phone new off of Amazon w/o a service provider. I wonder if there is anyway to get a replacement...

thanks for any and all help you may be able to offer!

-k

Guest zemac

I have this same problem with T-Mobile (FL) with the 3.45 and 3.46 rom. Didn't have (or see) this before the asian roms for me. I haven't found a pattern either and I just reboot the phone to fix it like you do. I got mine from BestBuy.

Edited by zemac

Guest the_tempest
Did you set it to automatic GSM Frequency setting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. I've tried all three GSM Frequency settings. It happens on any of them.

I did a reformat with 1.43 and didn't put anything on it.... just to see if a completly clean phone worked. Sadly, the problem still occurs.

Not sure what else to try. I don't have another Carrier SIM or I would try that...

Any other thoughts?

THanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it!!!

-k

Guest nausea
Yup. I've tried all three GSM Frequency settings. It happens on any of them.

I did a reformat with 1.43 and didn't put anything on it.... just to see if a completly clean phone worked. Sadly, the problem still occurs.

Not sure what else to try. I don't have another Carrier SIM or I would try that...

Any other thoughts?

THanks again for all of your help. I appreciate it!!!

-k

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How old is the SIM? I've seen really old SIMs that on newer phones would show the wrong carrier name, or just some garbled text. Maybe its the same type of problem?

Guest the_tempest
How old is the SIM? I've seen really old SIMs that on newer phones would show the wrong carrier name, or just some garbled text. Maybe its the same type of problem?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The SIM is about 2.5 years old. What do ya think? Is that old... in SIM years?

Guest nausea
The SIM is about 2.5 years old. What do ya think? Is that old... in SIM years?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That doesnt seem too old. The ones I've seen acting up were like 5 years old.

I think you should just get the phone replaced.

Guest the_tempest
That doesnt seem too old. The ones I've seen acting up were like 5 years old.

I think you should just get the phone replaced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I wonder how long it takes for motorola to fix (meaning replace) the phone and get it back to me. I'll certainly miss it. :-(

Guest the_tempest
Hi,

did you ever get this worked out?

I'm having the same problem...

Nik

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. Oddly enough it hasn't happened in three days now... but I didn't change anything. I'm not holding my breath.

How often does yours do it? When did you get your phone? I got mine around Christmas of last year..

-kevin

Guest nikjensie

I got mine on eBay about 6 months ago, has been working GREAT since, but today, all of the sudden it says No Service no matter what I do... Can't get it to connect at all, tried downgrading from 1.43, hard resetting, changing bands... nothing. Re-installing my E200 at the moment... :) Just in case. Hope it works out with yours...

Nik

Guest seancoop

My phone is doing the same thing. I agree there is no pattern for when it happens. I am ready for a replacement phone. Has anyone had luck with Motorola replacing their phone? Does anyone have a 1-800 number at Motorola to call to get a replacement?

Guest the_tempest
My phone is doing the same thing.  I agree there is no pattern for when it happens.  I am ready for a replacement phone.  Has anyone had luck with Motorola replacing their phone?  Does anyone have a 1-800 number at Motorola to call to get a replacement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To get service on your phone, you gotta go here:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Motos...ceMyProduct.asp

They say it takes 7-10 business days (once they receive your phone) to fix/replace it and ship it back to you. They don't say what type of shipment they use ... so who knows how long that takes.

I love (note sarcasm) the fact Motorola asks for your credit card information on an UNSECURE website! NO SSL! Brilliant guys... just briliant.

---------

As for my phone. I'm on the 3rd or 4th day of it working without going into "No Service" mode. The only thing I have done (or not done) is change the profile I'm in. I've simply left it in Normal. Usually I switch it to silent during work hours and then back to normal after hours ... but in the last few days I haven't touched it.

Might be worth tryin... I'm out of ideas really.

-kevin

Guest rick1238

They say it takes 7-10 business days (once they receive your phone) to fix/replace it and ship it back to you. They don't say what type of shipment they use ... so who knows how long that takes.

I love (note sarcasm) the fact Motorola asks for your credit card information on an UNSECURE website! NO SSL! Brilliant guys... just briliant.

---------

As for my phone. I'm on the 3rd or 4th day of it working without going into "No Service" mode. The only thing I have done (or not done) is change the profile I'm in. I've simply left it in Normal. Usually I switch it to silent during work hours and then back to normal after hours ... but in the last few days I haven't touched it.

-kevin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

same problem here and mine was manufactured in march so moto tells me mine is on the way to them as we type they said they will fix or replace free of charge 10-12 days round trip

Guest the_tempest
same problem here and mine was manufactured in march so moto tells me mine is on the way to them as we type they said they will fix or replace free of charge 10-12 days round trip

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was it March of this year?

Did moto indicate that it is a known problem with some phones and not others?

-k

Guest joshuar9476

it's funny that you mentioned the silent profile thing, because that's when mine started happening. unfortunately, i have to switch to silent often because i'm in class quite a bit.

Guest the_tempest
it's funny that you mentioned the silent profile thing, because that's when mine started happening. unfortunately, i have to switch to silent often because i'm in class quite a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... now I'm completely confused cause my phone worked fine for nearly a week. Can't remember the last time it made it more than a day without going to "no service"! I switched it to silent mode a day or two ago. Not sure if I'll send it back or not.....

Guest VictorF

---------

-kevin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I experienced this problem twice yesterday with a Vodafone supplied unit using a Vodafone SIM in the UK. I tried reactivating GPRS by toggling on and off flightmode. In the end I had to remove the battery twice to get it to register again as powering it off and on again with the button didn't seem to have any effect.

SMSs and GSM calls were all OK at the time. Coincidenatlly I was caryying an SP3i with a Vodafone SIM (I do a lot of eval. testing for the company I work for) and this had no problems with GPRS