Smart Phone Remote- a Mission Possible

Guest extremeluxe

Guest confused and hungover
To be fair, Alex did apologize in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or apologise, depending on which version of English you speak. lol

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xxsteppinrazorxx

Although this seems to be a waste of time for some people...I believe it would make a world of difference for me. I can't keep track of my remote. I do, however know where my phone is at all times. If there was a possible way to turn my smartphone into a remote it would save me hours upon hours a week from searching behind the t.v. and under the sofa and sofa cushins for the elusive remote. So if it's possible, please let me know

Guest assael
I can create such an app if you guys would like me to :) ... like the WMP Remote I did...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are u serious??? We would love to have an app to controll tv!!!

hehe I will try

but some people are right ... the IR signal strength is weak on the SPV's... if only the tv had a bluetooth reciever lol

But I will try to dev such an app in some time...

Guest extremeluxe

Great.! Tech comes as the one we have been waiting for!

I used your wm controler which is cool. If u need any help, like communicating with the chinese guy who developed that remote control set for PPC based on TOTAL REMOTE, just mail me ([email protected]) and i will do my best for help.

Great.! Tech comes as  the one we have been waiting for!

I  used your wm controler which is cool. If u need  any help, like communicating with the chinese guy who developed that remote control set for PPC based on TOTAL REMOTE, just mail me ([email protected]) and i will do my best for help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks mate :)

basically I need to know a "general" control to control a device. for example, TV's have infrared, I need to know what "signal" they use to detect what the user is wanting (channel change, channel number key press, volume up down/teletext etc..)

once I have this information... I'm up and away ;)

btw - OT for a sec - you tried v2.0 of WMP Remote? :(

Edited by Tech

no ive not had time. it will be some time tho! I have work - uni and sleeping problems so it will take a while before i can "get" information :)

would be nice if it could be done with BT. Plannin to make a "plugin" for my app which allows you to control simple things like lights inside your house. wonder if you can get an IR/Bluetooth reciever which just hooks into your light source... interestin...

• 3 weeks later...

lol

well, I found it! :o and i think i may start deving it any day... but i start uni again next week! BAH HUMBUG

I basically need to obtain TV Codes for my TV Set (which shouldnt be a problem) then after that, i will make a configuration file (XML) which the application will require in order to communicate properly with the TV

I have found 95% of the information required about IR so... watch this space

[shameless self promotion] oh and WMP Remote version 3 is almost released :( [/shameless self promotion]

Awesome Tech- I will be watching...

I had a similar app on my Nokia (Symbian). The IR strength was poor, but every now and then, you would get a TV with a good receiver or something, and it would work. It was VERY cool when it worked.

I'd love to be able to use my mpx220 to do this as well... I'll be eager to hear how it goes.

Thanks!

Lobo

well in about 40 mins i whipped up an application that allows you to control Powerpoint ... so you can view the next/previous slide from the touch of a hotkey on your SPV.. did it for one of my lecturers today :o i think i will/may add this feature in v3 of WMP Remote.

as for IR... it's prooving difficult. I am ALMOST there... ALMOST. I think i will have to do low level stuff :( which is really tricky and an a**

problem is that in .NET apperently there seems not to be a way to connect to "nothing"... in other words you have to connect to a computer/device which can respond back.... but since TV IRs etc... are dumb devices (just accept commands and process it) there is no way for it to connect.

Low level stuff it is... i guess....

Guest Gullaboy
well in about 40 mins i whipped up an application that allows you to control Powerpoint ... so you can view the next/previous slide from the touch of a hotkey on your SPV.. did it for one of my lecturers today :o i think i will/may add this feature in v3 of WMP Remote.

as for IR... it's prooving difficult. I am ALMOST there... ALMOST. I think i will have to do low level stuff :( which is really tricky and an a**

problem is that in .NET apperently there seems not to be a way to connect to "nothing"... in other words you have to connect to a computer/device which can respond back.... but since TV IRs etc... are dumb devices (just accept commands and process it) there is no way for it to connect.

Low level stuff it is... i guess....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wicked mate..you sound like a genius! i will have to try your wmp out once i get a bluetooth dougle! if you get the tv remote sorted it will be cool!

bleutoth controllerz is teh 0ld and teh ghey

tv remote is okey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not to be an a** but what is "ghey" is your spelling....

anyway

a bit OT but WMP Remote v3.0 has been released hehe - check out the topic in this forum, and you do not need to have bluetooth - it can be used with usb cable/wireless. But to really make it worth while is to use bluetooth, as it was designed for users to use the app as a remote device without attaching it to the PC physically by cable.

anyway back to the TV IR Control

I am busy but having small talks with a couple of great professors at university to see if they can give me small but powerful guidelines on controlling the IR on the mobile device!

so:

I have got my own TV Codes to use

I can connect to only another device that has a "listener" to listen to connections.

But i need it NOT to connect to a device but to fire signals (of the TV Codes)

90% there :o

I posted a long reply in a thread about Smartphone IR comms many months ago.

Getting the IRDA port on Smartphones to output CIR signals that have the correct carrier frequency of the device you are trying to control is not easy at all. In fact the only way I that I know it to be possible over IRDA is with DMA or interrupt access to the IRDA hardware (such as IrCOMM), which if I remember correctly is not mentioned in any documents relating to the OMAP730 CPU and Windows Mobile (note the "and").

Furthermore the OMAP730 has an interface specifically for IRDA, which may mean communication over IRDA appears relatively "high-level" to running code. Direct access to hardware is likely made even more impossible for programs due to the fact they are running on top of an OS (and an OS that doesn't leave the doors wide open for such things).

Only with some very clever timing and shaping of transmissions over IRDA would it be possible to send valid signals - if direct access to the hardware were possible. A 'scope is a must to be able to actually check what the signal being over IRDA looks like, as a few kHz difference to the carrier will render transmissions much weaker (and eventually useless) to the intended device.

Of course, you could do both sending and receiving of such signals using some sort of headphone jack based IR transceiver, as mentioned by various people in various IR threads on these forums. You'd need to be able to read and write data to the headphone socket, although this way of doing it is much much easier, albeit with extra hardware needed.

This isn't meant to look like a rant btw :o Just wanted to point out a few things about peculiarities of IRDA :(

You may find this an interesting read, should give you an idea of how you can transmit CIR over IRDA -

http://www.cswl.com/whiteppr/tech/pulseshaping.html

Edited by lekus

• 2 weeks later...
You may find this an interesting read, should give you an idea of how you can transmit CIR over IRDA -

http://www.cswl.com/whiteppr/tech/pulseshaping.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This quote engaged me into looking for an alternative....

I found this:

http://features.engadget.com/entry/6336778455600767/

Added concept:

What one would need then is some software to "manage" the "sounds"

If the sound output of the device is ok, it would work with virt any smartphone

Edited by Berns

• 5 weeks later...
A remote for the C550 would be nice to change channels even if 30 cm away. I guess its not possible to use the Bluetooth signal to change a TV Channel?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nope not possible at all :) only via IR

unless some bluetooth device exists that connects to the TV and converts the BT signals to IR... which is unlikely