C550 disappointing.

Guest simon11

how are you encoding NX5?  do all movie and stuff have to be at 240X320 now for the C550?

so far I think its wicked, looks much better than the C500 I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use pocketdivx encoder and just format for ppc - xvid @ 23.99 fps, looks fantastic on the C550!

Guest GothTeddy

I'm still really miffed at the blatant lies with regards to AAC playback.

Unless somehting happens to fix it, it'll be going back to them on friday.

Guest toon9
I use pocketdivx encoder and just format for ppc - xvid @ 23.99 fps, looks fantastic on the C550!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had my C550 for only five days now, but it is being exchanged tomorrow !

Yeh - the battery life on the one I have sucks big style. Today, from fully charged it has nearly drain - down to 9% - in approx. 13 hours.

Bluetooth not activated at all during that time, I'd reckon on about 20-25 minutes of calls maximum. Full signal strength all day yet it has gone !

It has gone from around 28% to 9% in the last two hours alone - and it hasn't been used.

All this is after having fully charged the battery for fully 12 hours upon receipt last Tuesday.

Most things compare veyr favourably with the C500 that I've had since launch last year. The screen is a massive improvement.

Keypad is a little fiddly compared to C500 so texting is taking a little adjusting too - the joystick gets in the way a little.

But there is no living with battery life that shambolic - if the replacement suffers from the same problem, then that will be going back and I'll stick with my trusty C500 and defer my upgrade until something better comes along.

Hopefully this is an isolated instance. I'll certainly post here again if it is not.

I cant even copy files to mine!!! Activesync will sync contacts etc but no go on files or syncing with WMP10!!! On the phone to OCS now!!!

I cant even copy files to mine!!! Activesync will sync contacts etc but no go on files or syncing with WMP10!!! On the phone to  OCS now!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

25 minutes being past from pillar to post :)

Guest peekie

I will be getting a c550 next week guess i will be busy playing with it for a while installing and uninstalling my games if they do not work , but thats the fun part :) :D

25 minutes being past from pillar to post  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finally spoke to someone in software department, who was checking a forum as she was speaking to me. orange were not aware of the problem but she will make her colleagues aware of the situation. She believes it may be a compatability issue with microsoft producats and gave me a number to call them (0870 6010100)....

New phone and Im told to fix it myself :evil:

Guest spacerace

(fortunately) i've not had an issue with either the battery life or file copying / any AS issues.

hope these are not widespread issues.

Guest Radeon12345

No problems at all with my C550, works very well :) rarely ever use bluetooth but wanted to see how long a full battery would last with it on, so far in 3 days of bluetooth being on, about 40mins of phone calls and the odd game now and then for average of 5 mins

Battery still has around 35% left :D , file copying works great to, I have a riadata 512mb mini SD card, I have copied over zip files, exe, MP3, wma, mpg, wav etc, all copy over with no problems and run no problem

I copied over a 300mb video in 10 mins and again, played ok

This is the best phone I have had yet, camera is not amazing quality but way better than the C500 :D

My 550 is running Windows Mobile 2003 SE Version 4.21.1088 (build 15159.2.6.4)

ROM Update Versions:

Operator: 82.1.10

Manufacturer: 1.0.1.12

Microsoft: 4.21.15159.0

Language: 1.0.1.12

File System: 4.21.15159.0

Guest toon9
No problems at all with my C550, works very well  :) rarely ever use bluetooth but wanted to see how long a full battery would last with it on, so far in 3 days of bluetooth being on, about 40mins of phone calls and the odd game now and then for average of 5 mins

Battery still has around 35% left  :D , file copying works great to, I have a riadata 512mb mini SD card, I have copied over zip files, exe, MP3, wma, mpg, wav etc, all copy over with no problems and run no problem

I copied over a 300mb video in 10 mins and again, played ok

This is the best phone I have had yet, camera is not amazing quality but way better than the C500  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How long did you initially charge your C550 for ?

Guest gsm122448
I use XP Pro SP2 and Activesync 4.0 :)

Not sure of my phone software version, will have to find out

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems that when using ActiveSync 4.0, copying files to the phone using drag-and-drop in explorer no longer works....maybe due to it's new security restictions.

Copy & Paste still works fine though :-)

Guest Radeon12345
It seems that when using ActiveSync 4.0, copying files to the phone using drag-and-drop in explorer no longer works....maybe due to it's new security restictions.

Copy & Paste still works fine though :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drag and drop works ok here with Activesync 4.0, can drag and drop all kinds of files :) copy and paste also works ok also :D

Guest pd.ryder

I've been on the phone to OCS re sync problem with WMP10. They flatly deny any liability to support this issue :twisted:

They've refered me to Microsoft, who will, I guess, refer me back to the device manufacturer :shock:

I'm not sure if it was the lacky at OCS, who obviously didn't understand what I was on about, having given the data support bods a rediculous explanation of my problem. When I have time I will ring data support directly and try to get to level 2.

Here's hoping..... :)

Guest gazbert

Only problem I have with my C550 is the complete lack of Homescreens, (I'm too lazy and untalented to do my own) and the problems with software.

Battery life is excellent, 4-5 days between charges, bluetooth is great, being able to transfer files over bluetooth using built-in file explorer is a bonus. Screen quality is amazing. With my C550 and C500 the difference is startling.

All in all it's the best phone I've ever had.

Guest chucky.egg
Only problem I have with my C550 is the complete lack of Homescreens ... and the problems with software.

All in all it's the best phone I've ever had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

It's a smartphone - I would say that "problems with software" are fairly significant!

Guest Confucious
:)

It's a smartphone - I would say that "problems with software" are fairly significant!

All my main softwrae works some with minor glitches (like CoPilot some text doesn't display properly) but it is all usable. The better screen screen and camera are great.

My main "complaints" are a) when you enter new words in T9 it no longer keeps the first word it suggests for you to edit, you have to enter a new word from scratch, :D battery life does not seem as good - to early for me to tell yet but as I charge every night this isn't a problem for me and c) there are now 10 items on each screen on the start menu so you havbe to press 0 rather than 9 to get to the next screen, I'm so used to pressing 9 I still do this 9 times out of 10 - but I guess the faulty bit there is the user not the ohone!

All in all I'm very pleased with the C550 - If you have a C500 it's probably not worth upgrading for most people but if you have anything else the C550 is great.

I'm sure the other s/ware that doesn't work will be patched so it is up to people to decide if it's worth it. TomTom users probably shouldn't upgrade until a patch is made available (Unless they "upgrade" to CoPilot of course :D )

Horses for courses of course but I certainly don't regret getting the C550!

Guest chedmaster

guys, just got my c550, plugged it in and it was amber for about a minute now its gone green, as if fully charged? should i leave it plugged in for 16 hours or not?

guys, just got my c550, plugged it in and it was amber for about a minute now its gone green, as if fully charged? should i leave it plugged in for 16 hours or not?

They say you should but I dont bother, Lithium Ion batteries dont suffer memory effect like old Ni-Cad but the choice is yours! :)

Guest chedmaster

thanks dade, when this green light is on is it actually charging the phone or is it just waiting to be unplugged? ive never understood this, they always say charge overnight etc but after a couple of hours (/minutes!) they always stop charging and report as full, will it improve life leaving it like this or would i be better off just running it empty then charging overnight?

thanks again

Guest rickwookie
thanks dade, when this green light is on is it actually charging the phone or is it just waiting to be unplugged? ive never understood this, they always say charge overnight etc but after a couple of hours (/minutes!) they always stop charging and report as full, will it improve life leaving it like this or would i be better off just running it empty then charging overnight?

thanks again

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once you 'get the green light' as it were, the phone has determined that the battery is fully charged and probably stops charging (or certainly reduces to trickle charge) the battery.

This advice to not use and charge the phone for 16 hours is years old information from back in the days when it really took that long to charge the NiMh or even worse NiCad battereys, which were supplied near flat (probably couldn't hold their charge for too long in the box anyway).

I'm guessing that the reason the sales advisors are still made to tell customers to do this is partly to reduce the number of support calls from new phone owners like: Why doesn't my new phone turn on?

Ignor it. Who wants to wait a day to play with their new C550 when it's fully charged and ready to use out of the box?! :)