C550 Battery life very poor

Guest toon9

Guest Killua110

yeah i i got my c550 replaced it seems to still charge up to 99% but heck when i play videos or music on it, its staying at 99% @_@.

Unlike the other one which went down everytime i played anything.

Guest Pagemakers
I've found what the problem is!!!!

In power management settings there is an option for "Display Timeout" (It is a known problem (from user comments) on the C550 that even with this option set to "never" the screen does turn so dim it is unreadable after the time which is set by the "Backlight Timeout Option").  However, with the "Display Timeout" option set to "never" on the C550 the battery drains at a rate of 10% per hour giving your phone a  battery life of approx 10 hours!!!!

Turn the "Display Timeout" to anything other than "never" and your C550 battery will be almost as good as the C500's.

The problem now is WHY does the battery drain so dramatically on this setting.

I for one don't like my display going blank after 30/60/90 seconds etc and trust that someone somewhere is working on a fix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys have you seen my post above from page 3?

Maybe this is your problem.....

Guest Killua110

sorry bout the double post i thought it didnt go through...

Page its not that. i set them both to 30 secs.

However whenever i watched a video or listen to music it was going down 1%.

Just in: my second handset is faulty too. They are gonna deliver A 3RD ONE.

The battery was being zapped just watching a 4 min vid.

So every video was worth 2% of my battery life.

can u guys get to 87% in just 35 mins?

Hope this 3rd one bleedin be good.

Edited by Killua110

Guest Pagemakers

You know I honestly don't think it is a faulty handset. I think that's the life you can expect from this device.

My guess is your next handset will be exactly the same.

Guest Killua110

@_@ so really they both arent faulty?

buit can u guys help?

play a video say 2-5 mins and tell me does your battery go down?

Or is the battery suppose to fall down like this...@_@???

I'll give u information that when i leave my phone it seems to stay the same battery throughout.

@_@

Guest Pagemakers

What I am saying is yes the battery life is awful when the screen is on (about 10% per hour). I feel it is a design glitch and not a fault of your phone specifically.

Guest beersoft

10% an hour when the screen is on sounds good to me (but i would have the backlight on)

i must be either blind or stupid, because as i cant see whats on the screen without the backlight on, i make the phone turn the screen off when the backlight is off

so we have 6 pages of moaning because we cant have the screen timeout set to never even tho its damn hard to see the screen without the backlight on

seems silly to me

later

Owen

Guest Killua110

so do u guys think the replacement is necessary? or is my viewing of the battery life typical for all spv c550.

and that the battery is suppose to run down when playing vids and music quite quickly???

Guest Pagemakers

Owen - you CAN see the screen perfectly well on the C500 with the backlight off and the battery still lasts for days....Yea I know....but this is not a C500!

Killua - I think you have a typical 550.

Guest ajb3000

Well Orange replaced the battery for me, and it's still dying within a few hours of hitting 50% charge, so maybe it's the phone that's incorrectly reading the battery level... Will get back onto them later.

Guest rmunir

I got my hands on spv c550 on 2/08/05 4 o clock charged it until its orange charging light went green and charging icon near to the signal icon disappeared round about 8'o clock I thought it is fully charged up and in power managment it shows battery life 100% after that i made couple of calls just played for 15 to 20 minutes with my new phone

then again i put it on the charge before going to bed wake up in the morning and i took my mobile at work i am not allowed to use my mobile on work so at dinner time when i took my mobile out its battery was showing only 2 bars by time came back from home just one bar remaining. between 2/08/05 to today 5/08/05 i charge my mobile for 3 times. What do you lot say I think this mobile inharited to thing from its ancestor e200

1. Joystick

2. battery problem

Guest bkdiem
Guys have you seen my post above  from page 3?

Maybe this is your problem.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought an orange c-550 on ebay a week back, and had it shipped to me in the US. I'm also complaining about battery life, as I don't have the capability of phoningup prange for a replacement so im trying to solve this with the equipment I have.

Taking pagemakers advice I've swithed the screen timeout to 30 seconds to match the backlight timeout. Hopefully this will resolve my issues with battery life.

HOWEVER, I still wish to pursue other methods of improving battery life, and yet I have no idea how. My thoughts are this, perhpas someone can clarify them for me... The whole issue surrounding charging the phone continuously for the first 18 hours is whats puzzeling me...Why?

So lets just say that I plugged the battery in immediately out of the box and started using the phone. have I permanently ruined the battery? Is there a method for repeating the initial charge step?

I've heard of batteries having a memory... Is there a way to wipe the memory? and begin again?

anyway, thanks to pagemeker + others who have been diligent in their quest for prolonged continuous c550 usage.

I've used a c500 for the past 15 months and love it, however even with the battery issue yet unresolved completely, I am very hbappy with the performance of the new c550. The screen is really excellent, + I for one am willing to sacrifice a little battery life for the qvga screen. I also agree that the phone seems to respond a little slower, but again I think the functionality of the new joystick makes up for it.

Guest Pagemakers

bkdiem, with the display set to off your battery should last nearly as long as your C500 providing you are not watching heaps of videos or using any application that keeps the screen on continuously.

Regarding the initial charging of the battery. I wouldn't worry about it. Somebody with good knowledge of these things has already pointed out that that the battery in the C550 does not need this kind of "training". Haven't got time to find the post but it is here somewhere.

Only batteries with memory you are supposed to let the battery run completely flat from time to time.....but not needed with the SPVs or most modern devices for that matter.

Edited by Pagemakers

Guest bkdiem
bkdiem, with the display set to off your battery should last nearly as long as your C500 providing you are not watching heaps of videos or using any application that keeps the screen on continuously.

Regarding the initial charging of the battery.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Somebody with good knowledge of these things has already pointed out that that the battery in the C550 does not need this kind of "training".  Haven't got time to find the post but it is here somewhere.

Only batteries with memory you are supposed to let the battery run completely flat from time to time.....but not needed with the SPVs or most modern devices for that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Works like a charm, No worries.

I don't really mind the blank screen. The battery last for days now.

-diem

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paulrw

Just to contribute somethingmore to the confusion, I don't know whether this is a fault with my C550 or my PC, but I have discovered that if I leave the USB connected with the PC switched off, the battery discharges at a furious rate. Since I normally charge the phone from the USB, this is a real pain - means I have to remember to unplug it if I switch the PC off. Maybe this is why there is no docking cradle for the C550

• 2 weeks later...

I got my C500 a week ago, and find the battery life appalling.

I have backlight and screen set to 1 minute each, and get less than 24 hours batterylife, as much as the early SPV1 !

I'm wondering if it is any of the applications I use, so doay I am 3/4 through a 24 period without using the phone and battery power is on 4 bars still and only still 2 pixels from full (power management screen)

The apps I use are MobiPocketReader, Papyrus Trial (this is sweet) and the HTC Multimedia player (mid's sound very good with it)

After I am convinced it is one of these apps (and I nearly am) I will track down which one it is.

I notice the HTC media player leaks directory handles. After assigning a .mid as a ringtone it is impossible to delete the folder you copied from without restarting the phone first. (I'm using raki and synce on linux but I don't think that is to blame) (Thanks raki and synce guys)

I'm wondering if it is any of the applications I use, so doay I am 3/4 through a 24 period without using the phone and battery power is on 4 bars still and only still 2 pixels from full (power management screen)

The apps I use are MobiPocketReader, Papyrus Trial (this is sweet) and the HTC Multimedia player (mid's sound very good with it)

After I am convinced it is one of these apps (and I nearly am) I will track down which one it is.

Well after > 24 hours and still 4bars I'm now starting MobiPcket reader. I wonder if this is what was killing my P800 so I stopped using it and got this C550. (I already killed my P900 with a bad charger so it would no longer charge).

I'm trying mobipocket reader first. I think I still have an old HTC test program which records the "idleness" of the smartphone, or how long it spends in each level of sleep, I may have to try that.

Anyway, I'll see how long it goed now with mobipocket reader, and report back.

(On reflection, if other folk suffer this, tell us: What software do you generally run? Maybe media album is the more likely culprit as it is on all phones...) (anyway, to avoid busting the experiment I'm sticking with Mobi pcoket)

Sam

Further tests show that papyrus is NOT to blame, mobipocket appears to be, and I still have suspicions about media album, which I will be testing next.

Sam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also found that Mobipocket made my C550 battery run down very fast, so it seems that this program is the problem. Shame as I have a load of ebooks, all in prc format!

Jason.

• 1 year later...

Another thing... Make sure you uncheck the "Recieve incoming beams" in Settings/beam. This makes my battery last only for like 40h whereas while having this unchecked I get somewhere around 3 days or so :rolleyes:

Damn, I didn't notice, that this topic has over 1 year :(

Edited by kuicets

Further tests show that papyrus is NOT to blame, mobipocket appears to be, and I still have suspicions about media album, which I will be testing next.

Sam

New releases of mobipocket reader do not have this problem. On a mobi-related note, mobigen, a commandline mobipublisher runs perfect under wine, and I can invoke it from bash scripts via wine to automatically produce mobi documents of whatever.

Sam