M500 Homescreen customisation

Guest Photon

Guest Photon

It has occured to me that this isnt going to be so easy as with previous ppc phones, due to the touch screen element (most custom homescreens being geared towards a buttons interface)

Can anyone give me any advice on this subject / point me towards some suitable screens or do people just use the standard one with plugins / nicer backdrops?

There are an awful lot of plugins on the standard m500 one as well, which is the other thing that makes me think this isnt going to be easy. I dont see any jam/m500 specific screens anywhere though. Is it time to start?

P.

Guest Photon
Well you could start with the PPC PE Customisation section on this forum.

Then try Googling for 'PPC+Theme' and you will find no end of alternative sites.

http://www.pocketthemes.com/

http://www.pdagold.com/

http://www.mcdeb.com/

http://www.wmthemes.com/default.aspx

etc

You'll find thememaker software advertised on those sites.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh its not the first time I've had a ppc - I was more referring to the innate difficulties of making one for a touchscreen device. I didnt see any mention of this on any of the other forums. Surely a lot of themse are not going to work at all (multiplae page ones etc) - its a whole new challenge, as it has to work with keys and touch, so everything needs to be visible at once for starters...

Guest confused and hungover
Oh its not the first time I've had a ppc - I was more referring to the innate difficulties of making one for a touchscreen device. I didnt see any mention of this on any of the other forums. Surely a lot of themse are not going to work at all (multiplae page ones etc) - its a whole new challenge, as it has to work with keys and touch, so everything needs to be visible at once for starters...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so... you're trying to make a C500 style homescreen for your M500?

Guest Pondrew

Unfortunately homescreen customisation is one area where the Smartphone wins hands down. Maybe it's because of the touch screen, maybe it isn't.

Has anyone ever seen one of Midnight's impressive & involved homescreens or even an animated homescreen on a Pocket PC? These devices have been around far longer yet seem to have been passed over as far as that side of customisation goes...

Guest confused and hungover
Unfortunately homescreen customisation is one area where the Smartphone wins hands down. Maybe it's because of the touch screen, maybe it isn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know what you mean, it's frustrating that the only screens you can make are with microsoft home screen generator and are basically just a variation of the same old thing

i use SPB pocket plus, this puts a few more interesting things on the screen but i'd love to get my hands on an Xml type document to really start fiddling around with things... thinking back, i'm sure i remember seeing a screenshot where someone had skinned the start bar and made it a different colour texture and shape... is that possible?

the best thing for me about the smartphone is that i can design something that no one else has... maybee WM2005 will be more customisable?

Guest Pondrew
What about 3G? Surely if you are releasing in 2006 that has to be included. People will go for the next generation of Symbian 3G smartphones with Activesync instead of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's hoping! After all, Windows Mobile 5 is meant to bring some convergence between the two (Smartphone & Pocket PC Phone)...

Guest Photon

Having looked at this for a bit now, yeah, there isnt all that much you can do.

There are a couple of programs that allow skinning (pocketblinds and Wisbar - details here) but with pocketPC it really does seem to be dependant on how much you want to pay :)

I may have to get back into PPC development, seems there is gold in them thar hills

Guest MitchellO

Basically customizing the PPC today screen revolves around the background pic and the plugins. I am using the WM2005 skin.

Edited by MitchellO