Patched SPV M500 ROM?

Guest doyle_am

Guest doyle_am

Has anyone performed the "extended ROM" patch on an SPV M500 (UK) yet?

I'd like to free up some more space but can't risk nuking it if it's not going to work on it :)

Also, anyone using any 1.12 ROMs on their M500 as Orange UK ship with the older Magician 1.06 ROM?

Cheers

Guest MitchellO

Thats an interesting question. Is the Orange ROM the same configuration as the other Magicians?

I haven't done it on my Mini, as I haven't found the need, but for many it would be a great help. Check xda-dev about this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dan13l

doyle_am - did you get anywhere with this? I'm very tempted to try applying bigstorage to my m500, but don't fancy killing the device much :)

Guest L33uk
doyle_am - did you get anywhere with this? I'm very tempted to try applying bigstorage to my m500, but don't fancy killing the device much :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I have a 1 week old UK Orange SPV M500 which ive flashed with the 1.12.00 bigstorage ROM (found on xda-developers ftp) and have had no problems. I backed up my existing 1.06.00 rom first though, as well as all the cab files from my extended_rom just incase ;)

Guest nickb23

L33uk,

Could you do an idiots step by step guide (for us idiots) on how you put the big storage ROM onto an M500. I have gone through the XDA Dev forum, but I seem to just get confused by all the info out there. If you do the big storage rom, can you revert the m500 back to how it was when it came from Orange??

many thanks

nickb

Guest dan13l

I would really appreciate that too L33uk.

I've just been trying to flash my m500, and am getting nowhere. I believe I've modified the rom correctly, but I can't get the bootloader to prompt me to flash it back (the "press power to flash" message).

Guest doyle_am

L33uk,

It would be great if you could give a few steps on how you did this. I've been tempted to jump in and do it but there seems to be some contradictory information in the threads over at xda-developers.

Would really like to get 1.12 bigstorage on there and loose these orange apps that are eating up memory!

- Andy

Guest Xenzo1990

I don't see the need. Get a big enough memory card. It just increases the chance of a problem when orange release the official ROM Updates later this year.

Guest dan13l
I don't see the need. Get a big enough memory card. It just increases the chance of a problem when orange release the official ROM Updates later this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It shouldn't be hard to revert back to a stock Orange rom if they do release an update. The extra storage space is useful for installing applications which aren't happy on the memory card, and with only 64mb on the m500, we could do with everything we can get.

Besides, I don't actually use most of the supplied Orange apps, so why waste the space on them?

Guest doyle_am

That's perfect, thanks L33uk!

By any chance, do you have a copy of the orange files that were in the orange ROM; basically the configuration stuff etc that brand it as Orange and setup MMS/GPRS etc?

If not I'll hard reset and stop the install so I can back them up for later use

Thanks again!

Guest L33uk
That's perfect, thanks L33uk!

By any chance, do you have a copy of the orange files that were in the orange ROM; basically the configuration stuff etc that brand it as Orange and setup MMS/GPRS etc?

If not I'll hard reset and stop the install so I can back them up for later use

Thanks again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EDIT: Please do not link to roms.

Guest dan13l

l33uk - the link to the tutorial isn't working for me...

Its quite easy to take a copy of all the roms if you've got an sd card, some of them are fairly essential so I'd recommend backing them up. Someone over on XDA developers posted a list of what each file does, which could come in quite handy.

I'm going to get myself another sd card tonight and try again, I suspect my 1 gig card is causing problems.

Guest doyle_am

L33uk, you're too quick for your own good!

Managed to grab the URL before it was chopped; didn't realize they were up on XDA-Dev :)

Will be giving this all a go this evening - cheers!

Guest wardy

I have the new Orange ROM , downloaded yesterday from NL and ported it to my QTEK S110 .

All I had to do was change the Region settings to the UK and delete the settings under network management. Install the Imate cab for the Network management and voila it worked. I used orange backup and Update all worked fine.

Guest dan13l

It worked! I borrowed a 128mb card and tried that, and everything went fine :)

I now have a big storage tweaked m500.

I'm just trawling through the Orange apps now to see whats worth putting back on.

Guest dan13l

Yeah, that's the one I got from the XDA dev forum.

There are a couple missing from that list though - Fonix isnt on there, and neither is the caller id cab.

There is actually a newer version again of the MMS settings too (dated May).

• 2 weeks later...