Startup/shutdown sounds

Guest gorcorps

Guest gorcorps

I've read a few posts on this and nothing works for me. I want to have my own custom startup sounds but can't fingure out how to get them working! No programs I've used have done it right. I can dump the file in the /windows directory and rename it but of course it gets changes on reboot. I've edited the registry to point to the wavs and yes they are on the phone and not the SD card. The default tones are still playing and I can't figure out what to do. Has anybody found out how to do this?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Have look at this post on registry tweaking, it gives you all the information you need.

http://www.modaco.com/Registry_Tweaks-t7695.html

Don't forget as well as pointing the registry to the startup sound you want you must also enable it.

Unlike most other phones the MPX200 has two startup tones, one you can customise and the other is factory set.

Guest gorcorps

Like I said... I tried working with the reg but it has no effect. Is it that I'm usin 2003 and not 2002? The reg isn't getting reset or anything, everything I change gets changed but the sounds are still the default.

Guest ronny
I've read a few posts on this and nothing works for me.  I want to have my own custom startup sounds but can't fingure out how to get them working!  No programs I've used have done it right.  I can dump the file in the /windows directory and rename it but of course it gets changes on reboot.  I've edited the registry to point to the wavs and yes they are on the phone and not the SD card.  The default tones are still playing and I can't figure out what to do.  Has anybody found out how to do this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can use RJV Regtweaks. which can be downloaded at http://www.airfagev.com/

also don't put your wav files uder the windows directory, instead put it under ipsm(storage) folder.

Edited by ronny

Guest awarner [MVP]

I personally use PHM registry Editor

http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

The tweaks listed in the link I gave above do work on the MPX200 running 2002 and 2003 and I have used them many times on all of my smartphones.

I generally place all sounds in Storage\Application Data\Sounds and images in Storage\Application Data\Home

The file name IPSM was replaced by Storage when 2003 OS was released.

Guest gorcorps

I have used both the RJV Regtweaks and PHM Reg editor. I really don't know what's going on. Is there something extra I'm missing to the startup tweak, like changing the category or anything within that category? I'll try a few more things and see what happens.

Guest gorcorps

Ok, should I export the edited reg anywhere or does it save itself? Plus, using RJV Regtweaks won't let me delete anything in the startup sound field. It's getting frustrating.... I don't think a hard reset will help matters either.

Guest ronny
Ok, should I export the edited reg anywhere or does it save itself?  Plus, using RJV Regtweaks won't let me delete anything in the startup sound field.  It's getting frustrating.... I don't think a hard reset will help matters either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no you don't have export. you can use PHM editor if your having difficulties using RJV regtweaks (sorry i forgot that it has a bug when used in MPX200 WM2003) :oops:

and do this

go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Sounds>SystemStartup or SystemStart

click 'Values' then 'Sound'

Change "Value Data" to the path and name of your wav Example (\storage\startup.wav) then press done. you can now exit phm regeditor and reboot your phone. hope this helps.

Guest gorcorps

Nope... this is what I've been doing but it's still the default sound. Can you do me a favor if yours is able to change back and forth with ease... tell me what category systemstart is and shutdown. I think I may have changed them but don't know if it makes a difference. I was having the same problem before I changed stuff. Better yet, if you could point me in the direction of the default reg than I can start from scratch and see if that helps. I never saved my original reg since I didn't know I was doing so much to it.

PS: thanks for all the help and ideas guys

Guest ronny
Nope... this is what I've been doing but it's still the default sound.  Can you do me a favor if yours is able to change back and forth with ease... tell me what category systemstart is and shutdown.  I think I may have changed them but don't know if it makes a difference.  I was having the same problem before I changed stuff.  Better yet, if you could point me in the direction of the default reg than I can start from scratch and see if that helps.  I never saved my original reg since I didn't know I was doing so much to it.

PS: thanks for all the help and ideas guys

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe this will help you.

go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Sounds>SystemStart

click 'Values' DELETE "SOUND", then create a new string by pressing Menu> New Value> String

change "Value Name" to "Sound" then change "Value Data" to the path and name of your wav Example (\storage\startup.wav) then press done. you can now exit phm regeditor and reboot your phone. hope this helps.

Guest gorcorps

Hmmm, nope that isn't making a difference. Grr this is driving me crazy! I know I'm missing something somewhere, I just can't find it. I'll test tomorrow whether my homescreen makes a diff (im using a custom Futurama one) w/ the plugins and such. I don't know what's wrong, I changed the category to notification, system, and a custom called ring but nothing makes a difference. I wonder if my category settings somehow got changed.

Guest ronny
Hmmm, nope that isn't making a difference.  Grr this is driving me crazy!  I know I'm missing something somewhere, I just can't find it.  I'll test tomorrow whether my homescreen makes a diff (im using a custom Futurama one) w/ the plugins and such.  I don't know what's wrong, I changed the category to notification, system, and a custom called ring but nothing makes a difference.  I wonder if my category settings somehow got changed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe you have to do a hard reset so all your registry settings will be back to default. then you can try again. :)

Guest gorcorps

Still not working... I did a master reset and installed the reg program all w/out the sd card in. It's still the same thing. What am I missing? This is driving me crazy!

Guest gorcorps

does the .wav have to be in a special format or size to work for this? These have worked for ringtones but don't know if this is any different.

Awarner: I think what you said might be the problem... how do I "enable" the .wav I want to use?

Edited by gorcorps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gorcorps
Thanks, that disabled the moto sound, but I still don't hear my own sounds now.  The speaker clicks on but it's silent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I started using the "Start Stop Sound (SSS)" plugin and it works great! Now I have everything working how it should.