MPX200 stops receiving calls after a while

Guest gsmnutt

Guest gsmnutt

Hello everyone.

Here is my situation: I have a semi-functional MPX200 smartphone. When I insert the SIM, the phone will function 100% for a while (sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 4 hours... it always changes). After a while, it will not receive calls nor make calls; it is as if it stops communicating with the tower entirely. I have spent countless hours reading online and I have tried just about everything possible which is why I'm now posting here. The last thing that I thought may be the problem is my radio stack is corrupt. I have read about people with version 1.0 sending it to Moto for repair, and getting it back with version 1.1 which, they say, improved the signal very much. Also, I should add that I purchased this phone used off eBay a while back; it came with WM2003. I tried rolling back to WM2002 but this is just the OS and doesn't seem affect the radio stack. I have called my service provider as well as Moto support. Moto support told me that they WILL NOT release any updates (i.e. radio stack update) to customers; only service centers.

There is a program called 'mpx200_backup' which can backup the last 256kb of the flash in order to enable triband (on true triband phones), but it can also backup the entire flash. My question: Is it possible to backup the original AT&T ROM of a working MPX200 and flash it to mine so I have the original legal OS? Also, will this program backup the radio stack along with the OS?

I am ok to ask this, correct? If not, please let me know as I am new to this board. Thanks in advance for your help.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site :)

The method to supposidly enable triband is ilegal as it alters the IMEI

Also copying other peoples ROMs is also questionable under the OEM licence agreement.

Regarding 2003 if the version you have is the cartman startup screen then there is a GSM update that may help matters but again any links etc for ROMs and GSM fixes etc can not be posted here due to legal reasons.

Guest gsmnutt
,Jul 26 2005, 23:00]Welcome to the site :D

The method to supposidly enable triband is ilegal as it alters the IMEI

Also copying other peoples ROMs is also questionable under the OEM licence agreement.

Regarding 2003 if the version you have is the cartman startup screen then there is a GSM update that may help matters but again any links etc for ROMs and GSM fixes etc can not be posted here due to legal reasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello again and thanks for the welcome :) .

I am aware that it will change the IMEI, which is why there is an included file 'IMEIfix' in the backup package. I always check my IMEI after flashing any phone just to ensure the IMEI hasn't been changed :D. I tried the '900mhz' unlock (even though it was already unlocked). I thought it might fix the radio software. I checked digit for digit the IMEI and the 'IMEIfix' did switch it back to mine.

As for the ROM, it came preloaded when I got the phone and I believe it was the '@nonymous' one; it said "extended ROM coded by MS" when it booted.

EDIT

has the same problem (even with the GSM update) and won't let me close calls after I press 'send'.

Its too bad M$ won't just release an official generic MPX200 ROM and radio stack 1.1 upgrade. I just want to get my phone to work; I don't care what system it is running.

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply awarner. Also, I'm not asking anyone to post ROMs, but can anyone confirm whether or not backing up the ROM and flashing to another phone will work? Thanks guys.

Guest awarner [MVP]

It is not up to MS to release ROMs it's down the the network operator who supply the phone to the end user.

And flashing your phone with a ROM from another phone is also not legal under the OEM licence.

Guest gsmnutt
Hello everyone. 

Here is my situation: I have a semi-functional MPX200 smartphone.  When I insert the SIM, the phone will function 100% for a while (sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 4 hours... it always changes).  After a while, it will not receive calls nor make calls; it is as if it stops communicating with the tower entirely.  I have spent countless hours reading online and I have tried just about everything possible which is why I'm now posting here.  The last thing that I thought may be the problem is my radio stack is corrupt.  I have read about people with version 1.0 sending it to Moto for repair, and getting it back with version 1.1 which, they say, improved the signal very much.  Also, I should add that I purchased this phone used off eBay a while back; it came with WM2003.  I tried rolling back to WM2002 but this is just the OS and doesn't seem affect the radio stack.  I have called my service provider as well as Moto support.  Moto support told me that they WILL NOT release any updates (i.e. radio stack update) to customers; only service centers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello again... Anyone have a solution to this (that are willing to HELP me)? Currently Moto won't help me (not under warranty) and so far I haven't had any solutions here... just more problems. I'm told its illegal to flash with generic firmwares and its illegal to flash with original legal firmware and a legal firmware isn't sold anywhere :exclaim: :?: :??: I feel as if I'm being walked in circles here; it appears that the trash is the only solution for it... I'm not asking anyone to post illegal links or software; I just need direction in repairing this. I'm am not helpless with finding things online, so any tips will be helpfull. I have done tones of research already and have tried these already: Different firmwares, GSM fix, cleaning antenna contact, hard reset (many many many times), triband AT&T fix, removing all batteries (even mini backup batt), different SIMs (from different providers as well), and possibly some other things that slipped my mind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Check the SIM contacts and the SIM retaining clips as they are prone to being broken off.

Normally this would give you a SIM error though.

Guest gsmnutt
Check the SIM contacts and the SIM retaining clips as they are prone to being broken off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for reply. The SIM clips are broken (Moto should have done a better job on them), but i have a small piece of cardboard in between SIM and the battery and I'm sure it is secured (I don't get SIM errors either). The phone is working fine (even just sitting on a table). I can call it and it rings. If I leave it for a while and call it again, it won't ring and I can't make calls either if I try. I really hope it is fixable as this looks to be a pritty cool phone. Thanks again.

Guest ronny
Thanks for reply.  The SIM clips are broken (Moto should have done a better job on them), but i have a small piece of cardboard in between SIM and the battery and I'm sure it is secured (I don't get SIM errors either).  The phone is working fine (even just sitting on a table).  I can call it and it rings.  If I leave it for a while and call it again, it won't ring and I can't make calls either if I try.  I really hope it is fixable as this looks to be a pritty cool phone.  Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you tried to use your sim on other phones? maybe its a network problem.

Guest gsmnutt
have you tried to use your sim on other phones? maybe its a network problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi. The SIM card works flawlessly in every other phone. I am currently using an unlocked Samsung X427m with not a single problem. I have used also an AT&T, Fido and alternative Rogers SIM card all with no success (SIMs where borrowed from other working phones). Thanks.

Guest gsmnutt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it would appear that this was the solution!

My conclution: I had thick paper in the back, but it wasn't holding the SIM tight enough (I could have sworn it was secured :oops: ). I folded it again (now the battery bulges out) and I have been running it about 2 days with no problems!! Thanks a million!! :)