I think I am going to move to T-Mobile

Guest nickb23

Guest nickb23

Hi Guys,

As someone who relly wanted to get an M500, and was also going to get a GPS kit for it on the side, i think the deal that T-Mobile are doing is just too good to pass up. For people who don't know, it is an MDA Compact with Co-Pilot Live GPS for free.

Firstly, has anyone got this deal. I presume it comes with a bluetooth GPS unit. Can someone confirm this?

Secondly, I seem to know no-one who is on T-Mobile. Everyone seems to use the other 3 providers when it comes to mobile phones. Are they any good? Is the coverage the same as the others? Are costs relative to them as well.

Thirdly, I did put a post on earlier about getting a free upgrade to an M500. Is there any reason I should stick with Orange. T-mobiles deal is worth almost £600. Is there any illeagality in getting the T-mobile deal. Selling the MDA on enbay staight away (I have seen them at about £250+) keeping the GPS kit, and getting the M500. This way hopefully the sale of the MDA would cover the phone contract from T-Mobile, and leave me with a free GPS Kit, and my Orange phone contract and hopefully a free upgrade to an M500.

Many THanks

NickB

I phone T-Mobile earlier this week to ask about the GPS option. It's only the SDA that comes with Co Pilot for free. The Compact will cost about £130 - but then five minutes later another person called me back and said it would be £230.

They told me the SDA comeswith the software pre-loaded but the Compact comes with Co Pilot in a box with the software and GPS unit.

Guest mmbecks7

Hi

I am with T-mobile. There is no problem with the reception/signal..They have a good service...But their GPRS cost is way too expensive...I used their gprs for a bit of browsing and I was stung by the phone bill... I think I will switch next year, as when I upgraded my phone they removed some of my minutes without telling me...But got that sorted after a few phone calls...I wasn't very happy :) Overall a good service but make sure that u r certain what u r buying...ask questions!

Cheers

Guest spangelsaregreat

Hi,

I am also with T-Mobile and have an MDA compact.

When I bought my phone there was a deal for CoPilot Live for about £140 (the phone was free on a 100min contract) but they did not get it ready in time for me buying the phone so I just got the phone for free on the 100min contract. From what I recall you will get the GPS receiver with this deal.

I would agree with mmbecks7 about the GPRS costs. I had an SX1 on O2 before and GPRS cost me nothing. It was a bit of a surprise when I got my first bill after only minimal surfing.

I bought a 3mb bolt on for £5 per month which has since been upgraded to 6mb at no extra cost. I also use a program called Onspeed (£24 for yearly subscription) which dramatically cuts your GPRS useage when surfing. I reckon on average I am using only 10% of the volume connecting with Onspeed that I did without it. It also speeds the woefully slow IE on GPRS for what is getting on for broadband equivalent speeds (1Mbps I reckon). So for about £7 per month equivalent I get 6mb broadband on my MDA).

Overall T-Mobile are very good. I get the same reception I got with O2 and their website is very good for keeping an eye on your usage (it only has a 6 hour lag on real time usage). I would certainly reccomend getting a GPRS bundle if you are going to keep using it for web surfing to keep the costs down.

I don't think you would have any problem in selling the phone to finance buying another contract. The phone is free and it T-Mobile would simply bill you for it if you tried to cancel the contract early.

On the GPS front I just bought a bluetooth receiver on eBay for about £50 and got hold of TOM TOM 5 and Memory Map navigator as stand alone packages. Both work very well so I never get lost in the car with TOM TOM or exploring the hills on my bike with Memory Map!!

Regards

Guest nickb23

thanks guys,

Dang, I was taken in by T-Mobiles flashy "Get this and GPS for Free" line. Well I could have got it for free, if I took them up on there £80 per month contract - Bollox to that. Well I have decided to stick with Orange, cause Pink and Grey are just not my colours. I have got Orange calling me back on the first day of my last month to get me an M500 shipped to me for free. Yipee!!!!

Now - extra things....

Has anyone got one of those Sandisk WiFi / Memory sd cards? Are they any good?

How about a Case & Screen protectors. I heard that the M500 does not fit into normal I-Mate Jam / MDA Cradles. Is this correct??

All recommendations will be great!!

I want to make sure that I have all these its for my M500 when it comes...... Yeah!!!

NickB

Guest psionandy

I've just got the MDA compact on a Get this free and 55mb GPRS for £15 + voice tarrif which wasn't too bad. Just got to remember to turn images off when browsing.

Seems to be working pretty well for me.. although I do miss the VGA screen from my Axim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davewaugh

I just took up the offer from tmobile. it seems not to bad to me .

got the SDA with copilot live . comes pre loaded onto a mini SD 128meg

but you also get the boxed copilot with software disks and bluetooth GPS.

price £29 a month phone was free . i also got 300 mins cross network anytime.

its on an 18month contrat but the first 3 months and the last 3 months are at 50% price.

so far the satnav seems to meet my needs but only tried it on a few local roads

call costs i have no idea yet as i only had the phone for 5 days.

the GPS unit is matched with copilot only so no good with any other satnav software though. my brother has tomtom5 i tried his sd in mine and it ran fine but

just wont find the gps unit at all . so as long as your happy with the copilot software then as a cheap solution its a viable option.

dave w

Guest Phil Lee

It seems to be the day for switching to t-mobile. I just cancelled my Orange contract and have ordered an MDA Compact from Scancom on a £15 U-Fix tariff for £19.99 plus VAT. Not bad at all.

PS I didn't get a GPS system, i don't do enough travelling to need one.

Edited by Phil Lee