M500 Program Installation

Guest dwj

Wonder if anyone can help? I have downloaded a game and installed it on storage card to save space on the M500. Is there any way I can get it to show up under "games" folder in programs? Shortcut or whatever? At the moment I have to look for it with file explorer then click on one of the files in storage card. On my C500 you could install games to storage card and they still appeared under "games". Thanks for any help.

Guest Disco Stu

What game is it ? I seem to remember only one game (or software of any description) failing to install its own shortcut.

The easiest way to create you own is to use ActiveSync's explorer to find the game's exe file on the storage card. Then right-click and select Copy. Now go back to the main Windows folder, Start Menu, Programs, Games (may be slightly different structure to my i-Mate) and right-click again. Select Copy Shortcut then right-click again and rename to just the game's name.

Bob's your uncle

:)

What game is it ? I seem to remember only one game (or software of any description) failing to install its own shortcut.

The easiest way to create you own is to use ActiveSync's explorer to find the game's exe file on the storage card. Then right-click and select Copy. Now go back to the main Windows folder, Start Menu, Programs, Games (may be slightly different structure to my i-Mate) and right-click again. Select Copy Shortcut then right-click again and rename to just the game's name.

Bob's your uncle

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Followed that and got it sorted! so thanks a lot for that. It is the celeris virtual pool game which installed fine on C500 so dont know what went wrong this time. Cheers.

Guest jamesb
Sorry for asking, but....you did install the PPC version ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had two games which didnt put shortcuts where I wished they would. One was a bit of freeware called Superbomber, which put itself in the start menu only, and the other was Virtual pool - which in my case decided to install a shortcut to both Programs and Games. Its annoying, but the only thing you can do to sort it that I've ever found is the method Disco Stu mentioned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Definately. Works perfectly it was only the shortcut that was the problem. Thanks tho.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got that game sorted - sorry to ask again; but any ideas for atlantis redux game? got the same thing, great working game but have to find it with file explorer. had a look at files within folder but they all look pretty big for moving to main memory as a shortcut. any ideas which file to move? thanks again.

Guest Disco Stu

I've not tried that game myself but would not recommend moving any of the files installed on your storage card.

The first thing I would do is to use ActiveSync to see if the shortcut has been placed somewhere else than you would expect to find it. If so you can cut & paste it to the Start Menu folder you want.

Otherwise just follow my suggestion above to create your own shortcut.

Have you installed any third-party software that places its shortcut in the right place ? I'm worried now that this may be more than a simple oversight on the part of the developers of Virtual Pool & Atlantis. :??:

I've not tried that game myself but would not recommend moving any of the files installed on your storage card.

The first thing I would do is to use ActiveSync to see if the shortcut has been placed somewhere else than you would expect to find it. If so you can cut & paste it to the Start Menu folder you want.

Otherwise just follow my suggestion above to create your own shortcut.

Have you installed any third-party software that places its shortcut in the right place ? I'm worried now that this may be more than a simple oversight on the part of the developers of Virtual Pool & Atlantis.  :??:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your help Disco Stu. Shortcut nowhere to be found but created one clicking on file in storage card so works perfectly now. Strangely enough, tried a couple of games in demo version and they installed shortcuts themselves. Cheers.