Got my c550 yesterday

Guest moonshot

Guest moonshot

Hi,

I got my c550 yesterday and I thought that I would post a mini review today, but I no longer have the phone.

Three times the screen froze on me and I had to remove/replace the battery to get it going again. Also the start button would not always respond. I contacted Orange. I was told that the screen freezing was a software issue and they would do nothing about it (although they new this to be a fault), but they did give me a fault code number so that I could return the phone to the shop with-in 14 days because there is a known fault with the key pad and this is a hardware issue.

c550 Good Points The new colour screen was a big, big improvement. The symbol screen has 3 times more symbols, including smiles. The larger screen was better. The feel of the phone seemed better-it did not slip from your hand like the c500 seems to.

c550 Bad Points Unless you buy the phone as a music player the music buttons got in the way and the start and back keys are a bit small. Contacts are listed in bold type and basic font style, not as good looking as the c500. Sending pictures via Bluetooth is not possible, Orange have disabled this yet again, and (I was told, but have not checked) they have also disabled the second mobile number feature. The c550 is 7grams more than the c500, this does not sound a lot but surley the weight should be coming off not going on.

What do I do now? Hang on to my c500 for a while and see what happens mobile windows wise or join the Symbian lot? I have not had a Symbian phone before.

Guest SiDHEaD

My missus has a C550 (mainly as an Mp3 player :)) and i know what you're saying bout the music buttons getting in the way. I think this is just cos I am used to where they are on the C500 - she has no problem with them.

Edited by SiDHEaD

Guest hotphil
Sending pictures via Bluetooth is not possible, Orange have disabled this yet again

I'm told it's not disabled - you can do it via the file manager.

Edited by hotphil

Guest TheBadger
I'm sure i sent my phone a pic from hers via BT, and her's is still standard software at the mo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah you can send it via the standard file explorer by clicking the beam option. Silly I know, but the BT devices will appear in the list.

Also regarding the keys. All phones have slightly different key layouts, okay the soft keys/back/home are a bit small on the c550 but I've got used to them, no trouble.

Guest moonshot
I'm told it's not disabled - you can do it via the file manager.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has been disabled so you are unable to send pictures via Bluetooth. Yes you can use third party file manager software and this will work but it would be better if phone companies left the phones as they should be.

Another example. My daughter bought a SonyE 750i at the weekend. Orange have disabled the sticky note feature where the note will remain on the screen. So she bought the phone from o2. She now has the note feature but has discovered that o2 have disabled the message delivery report. To get a message delivery report she has to enter a code before each text she sends.

You dont even need to use the filemanager, just take a photo, click Menu, Send, Beam File and send it to the selected bluetooth device ( it will search for bluetooth devices in range.)

Guest moonshot
You dont even need to use the filemanager, just take a photo, click Menu,  Send, Beam File and send it to the selected bluetooth device ( it will search for bluetooth devices in range.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no Beam File option, only via MMS and via e-mail

Guest moonshot
try the inbuilt file manager. select the file and choose beam, it will search for bluetooth and ir devices. no extra app needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry again but there is no beam option, it has been disabled!!!!

Guest Pondrew

Errr. Moonshot, if you sent the phone back how have you been able to check that it's been disabled. You are talking about the C550 and not the C500 aren't you?

Just that I'm finding it strange that you seem the only one unable to. If I get a C550 anytime soon I'll check and report back...

Guest VR6Pete

Am I the only person who is happy with his C550?

Not crashed once, bags of memory avaialble, camera works nice, no sticky 7 keys...

I'm just waiting for a new version of tom tom :)

Guest shadamehr

Can someone PLEASE confirm what you can and can't do with the C550 BT file transfer wise...

Cos I got berated on here for complaining about the C500 predescessor's lack of ability to send files from the GALLERY (not via a file name in a file manager), by people saying later devices on WM2003 can do this...

So are you saying that once again the new C550 CAN'T send files via a gallery section where you can actaully see them...?

If so, adn this is the way forward, I really really WON'T be coming back to the Windows SmartPhone platform, even for the killer 'Q'.

My son currently has my C500... and you know what... all his mates RIDICULE him for just how hard it is for him to send them tones and pics and vids and stuff by BT.

Let's just think about that... a phone as 'Smart' as the SmartPhone and its the only one in the street to be ridiculed...?

I appreciate these are kids, but there 'wants' from a phone are little different to mine in that respect - if I have photos, videos etc, I want to be able to send them easily too.

So somebody PLEASe confirm this is NOT the case, and that newer SmartPhones such as the C550 are actually not DUMBphones anymore in this respect...?

If not, I'm staying with Symbian, as much as it pains me to say that...

Guest benzo

shadamehr,

I've got a c550.. and in photo album, you can open an image.. and in send option, you can pick 'beam file'- this takes you to the 'align IR' user interface.

So it looks like they've enabled ir sending, but not BT.

Oh well.

EDIT!!!!!!

Shadamehr, it also detects BT devices within range! So you can send an image directly from photo album via BT.

Edited by benzo

shadamehr,

I've got a c550.. and in photo album, you can open an image.. and in send option, you can pick 'beam file'- this takes you to the 'align IR' user interface.

So it looks like they've enabled ir sending, but not BT.

Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The beam file option is for both IR and BT.

The magnifying glass under ir align which says searching is where bt devices appear when in range, just highlight the devise and hit beam. I have sent photos to a k750i this way!

Guest benzo
The beam file option is for both IR and BT.

The magnifying glass under ir align which says searching is where bt devices appear when in range, just highlight the devise and hit beam. I have sent photos to a k750i this way!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahahahahha,

I edited my post 1 minute before you posted your message. But yes, you are completely right.

I got confused with the user interface, as it doesn't make it very clear.

Another example. My daughter bought a SonyE 750i at the weekend. Orange have disabled the sticky note feature where the note will remain on the screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's odd, they left it on the SE T610. I wonder why.

So she bought the phone from o2. She now has the note feature but has discovered that o2 have disabled the message delivery report. To get a message delivery report she has to enter a code before each text she sends.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just the O2 network. They haven't modified the phone, their network just doesn't support delivery reports correctly. If you can sim unlock it and move to Orange, it should work.

Guest pd.ryder

Whilst we're on the BT file transfer subject - where does the 550 store received files?

A mate sent me a Homer gif the other day and now I'm being ridiculed cus my 'smart'phone has lost it (or I can't find it!)

I've looked in temp folders etc with file manager but either I'm being dense (likely) or it really has eaten Homer :)

Guest moonshot
Errr. Moonshot, if you sent the phone back how have you been able to check that it's been disabled. You are talking about the C550 and not the C500 aren't you?

Just that I'm finding it strange that you seem the only one unable to. If I get a C550 anytime soon I'll check and report back...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the reply. I have my c500, I have had this phone from the first day of release. Orange have disabled the bluetooth option for sending pictures. I have contacted them on a few occasions about this and they will not comment. I was told that they will get back to me but they have not. I was given the phone number of their tech. advice people, but this turned out to be a repair centre and I was told by them that the bluetooth option for sending pictures was disabled so that users would make more use of the MMS.

The c550 I had was the same. Some members say that they have bluetooth. I can only assume that on some handsets that it was not disabled.

Guest moonshot

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the c550, I had it long enough to get to know it before I returned it. I still have my c5oo. If some members are using Bluetooth, I must assume that not all phones have been disabled.

Guest morpheus2702
Am I the only person who is happy with his C550?

Not crashed once, bags of memory avaialble, camera works nice, no sticky 7 keys...

I'm just waiting for a new version of tom tom :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are not alone Pete, pleased as punch with mine. Battery life is good, loving that screen (moreso now that some themes have arrived), a couple of films or bags of MP3s on the Mini SD card, looks great, happy chappy! ;)