MDA Compact - texting quirks

Guest TonyLondon

Guest TonyLondon

I'm just getting to grips with my recently acquired unlocked MDA Compact.

Although the device is not exactly great for texting I just wondered if people had a solution to the following - when I send a text I go to contacts, then select a name to send the message to.

In the message 'to' section all it displays is the phone number and not the name, so that in the 'sent messages' list you just get the numbers, which is useless. Are there any settings I can change? The in-box displays the sender's name no problem (as long as they're in the contacts list of course).

Secondly, I had a lot of trouble sending texts today. I hadn't knowingly changed any of the phone settings. I noticed that there was a 'G' icon at the top of the display which I hadn't seen before. I put the phone into 'flight mode' and then tried to send the text. This caused the phone to reset itself and send the text without a problem. The 'G' icon disappeared and was replaced by an icon which I believe means that GPRS is disabled. Does that mean that when I switched the phone on for the first time it automatically went into GPRS mode? And have I been paying a fortune for this unknowingly???

Guest RazorD
I'm just getting to grips with my recently acquired unlocked MDA Compact.

Although the device is not exactly great for texting I just wondered if people had a solution to the following - when I send a text I go to contacts, then select a name to send the message to.

In the message 'to' section all it displays is the phone number and not the name, so that in the 'sent messages' list you just get the numbers, which is useless. Are there any settings I can change? The in-box displays the sender's name no problem (as long as they're in the contacts list of course).

Secondly, I had a lot of trouble sending texts today. I hadn't knowingly changed any of the phone settings. I noticed that there was a 'G' icon at the top of the display which I hadn't seen before. I put the phone into 'flight mode' and then tried to send the text. This caused the phone to reset itself and send the text without a problem. The 'G' icon disappeared and was replaced by an icon which I believe means that GPRS is disabled. Does that mean that when I switched the phone on for the first time it automatically went into GPRS mode? And have I been paying a fortune for this unknowingly???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey,

I'm with you on the phone displaying numbers, its REALLY annoying, and i dont have a cure for that, sorry!

The solid block with a G in the middle simply means that GPRS is available, if you want it to be. Unless that G icon was dancing a little bit or not a solid square block with a G in the middle, you should be fine :)

That G won't affect your text messages at all, or shouldnt, at least.

-Raz

Guest dan13l

If you use the on screen keyboard to type the first few letters of someones name when sending, then use the intellisense popup to complete the name, the outbox will display who the message was sent to correctly. You have to use the standard keyboard though, using the Phone Pad or any other keyboard won't work.