SmartGPS

Guest Maxrom

Guest Maxrom

[1095]SmartGPS_screenshot.jpg

File Name :: SmartGPS

Author :: Maxrom

Category :: Tools - Travel

Description ::

SmartGPS - An application to display GPS data from any NMEA compatible device, including Bluetooth devices.

Shows speed, heading, max speed, lat/lon, satellite count, fix type, average speed and height above sea level. Can also be set to show Mph or Kph for speed and metres or feet for altitude.

v0.7 now available!

*** NEW V1.0 now available from smartphone.maxrom.com ***

Updated Sat, Sep 3 2005 2:57 pm

View File

Edited by Maxrom

Guest bachy
[1095]SmartGPS_screenshot.jpg

File Name :: SmartGPS

Author :: Maxrom

Category :: Tools  - Travel

Description ::

SmartGPS - An application to display GPS data from any NMEA compatible device, including Bluetooth devices.

Shows speed, heading, max speed, lat/lon, satellite count and fix type.

View File

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent piece of software, thankyou very much! - Is there any chance of adding height above sea level in there too?

Guest Maxrom

Yes! :) I've just updated SmartGPS to v0.2 and it now shows height above sea level.

I've also cleaned up some of the data handling, so the data displayed on screen should be a little more accurate, and update more regularly.

Guest Maxrom

NEW v0.3 of SmartGPS

This version includes a clean up of the screen, the addition of showing how many satellites are now locked, not just how many are in view, as well as more reworking of the data handling to further reduce lag and improve accuracy.

Guest Arktouros

Thanks for the download,

Is there a way on the next versions to have on the display a compass? It is a bit easier to see it than read it when driving. And it is always a good way to check your general direction when on the way somewhere.

Thanks again for the application!! :exclaim: :idea: :)

Guest Maxrom

Sounds like a good idea. I could perhaps make it an option in the settings to show text, or a compass. I'll add it to the ideas list - I've got a few other bits I'd like to add, then I'll have a go at making a compass display.

Thanks for your comments! :)

Guest bachy
Sounds like a good idea. I could perhaps make it an option in the settings to show text, or a compass. I'll add it to the ideas list - I've got a few other bits I'd like to add, then I'll have a go at making a compass display.

Thanks for your comments!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keeps getting better - one more suggestion would it be possible to add unit type in options for kilometers per hour / miles per hour for speed - metres / feet for height.

Also maybe could have an oprion to show bearing in degress minutes and seconds too?

Once again excellent work!!!!

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a NMEA device? Does the SmartGPS software require a GPS receiver in addition to the smartphone or is the smartphone the GPS receiver. I know nothing about GPS. However, it seems to me that cellular towers should be able to locate cellular phones. Is this how the 911 features work with cellular phones?

Guest bachy
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a NMEA device?  Does the SmartGPS software require a GPS receiver in addition to the smartphone or is the smartphone the GPS receiver.  I know nothing about GPS.  However, it seems to me that cellular towers should be able to locate cellular phones.  Is this how the 911 features work with cellular phones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to have to inform you that you will need an additional GPS reciever connected to your smartphone to use this software.

Im currently using the original tomtom bluetooth GPS reciever and a C500 phone - and this seems to work well enough.

Guest Maxrom
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a NMEA device?  Does the SmartGPS software require a GPS receiver in addition to the smartphone or is the smartphone the GPS receiver.  I know nothing about GPS.  However, it seems to me that cellular towers should be able to locate cellular phones.  Is this how the 911 features work with cellular phones?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NMEA is a standard used by most GPS receivers. I think most, if not all, GPS units support the NMEA standard, but if you do find one that doesnt, then SmartGPS will not work with it.

As previously mentioned, you will need to get a GPS receiver to use with your Smartphone. I got mine (a bluetooth enabled BT77) for just over ÂŁ40 from eBay, and that works well.

Guest Maxrom
Keeps getting better - one more suggestion would it be possible to add unit type in options for kilometers per hour / miles per hour for speed - metres / feet for height.

Also maybe could have an oprion to show bearing in degress minutes and seconds too?

Once again excellent work!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should already be able to select Mph / Kph for speed. Adding an option to show height ASL in feet shouldnt be too tricky. I'll see what I can do!

Guest Maxrom

NEW version 0.4 now available!

This version add an average speed calculation to the main display, as well as giving you the option to specify unit type for height above sea level (metres or feet).

Guest minisdcard
NEW version 0.4 now available!

This version add an average speed calculation to the main display, as well as giving you the option to specify unit type for height above sea level (metres or feet).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI, Just installed the latest version and rebooted my phone. When I run it It appears to run ok, then I go into 'settings' and set the com to 'com7' and select 'done'. I then get a bluetooth connection to my gps device and I get the coordinates and altitude details on the phone. However, I just get a '?' where it should show direction and 0MPH. Also 0 average and max speeds. If I drive around only the coordinates and altitude change.

SPV500 and simple GPS device that works perfectly with TOMTOM and SmartHiker

Secondly, If I lose the gps signal, the programme displays 'no satelites' and when I get a signal again the programme does not respond???

Any clues???

Thanks

Guest dwrist

A couple of things, an installation issue and a suggestion / idea.

On installation, I get the programme installed and get through to the settings screen. However, when I try and change any setting and press done, the phone locks up and actually requires a hard reset (battery removal) before I can get it back. I have a MPX220 and don't know whether anyone else has it running with this device. Maybe I need the V1.4 rather than the V1.3 OpenNETCF files, but i am not sure where to find them and the OpenNETCF website was not very clear.

On idea for functionality, ay chance of adding a distance travelled in a straight line feature. My idea would be that this could be reset and the distance would be measured from the point of reset. I want to use it for golf, so ideally it should be as accurate as possible, but I think that this will be effectively set by the capability of the GPS device.

Thanks

Edited by dwrist

Guest Maxrom
HI, Just installed the latest version and rebooted my phone. When I run it It appears to run ok, then I go into 'settings' and set the com to 'com7' and select 'done'. I then get a bluetooth connection to my gps device and I get the coordinates and altitude details on the phone. However, I just get a '?' where it should show direction and 0MPH. Also 0 average and max speeds. If I drive around only the coordinates and altitude change.

Secondly, If I lose the gps signal, the programme displays 'no satelites' and when I get a signal again the programme does not respond???

Any clues???

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Sorry you're having some issues with SmartGPS. From your comments, it looks like the data feed is being received ok for the most part, but the application is obviously having issues trying to decode the speed data. Can you please give me as much information as you can about your GPS device - model number, manufacturer, FCC number etc. From this I may be able to get the info I need to resolve your problem. If not, I might also need to get you to send me a dump of the data it's passing back to the app - if I need this information, then I'll have to email you a small program to run to give me the debug I need, if thats ok with you.

Guest Maxrom
A couple of things, an installation issue and a suggestion / idea.

On installation, I get the programme installed and get through to the settings screen.  However, when I try and change any setting and press done, the phone locks up and actually requires a hard reset (battery removal) before I can get it back.  I have a MPX220 and don't know whether anyone else has it running with this device.  Maybe I need the V1.4 rather than the V1.3 OpenNETCF files, but i am not sure where to find them and the OpenNETCF website was not very clear.

On idea for functionality, ay chance of adding a distance travelled in a straight line feature.  My idea would be that this could be reset and the distance would be measured from the point of reset.  I want to use it for golf, so ideally it should be as accurate as possible, but I think that this will be effectively set by the capability of the GPS device.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know about this one. The v1.3 OpenNETCF framework that I've included in the download should be all you need to get the app up and running. I'm afraid I dont have an mpx220 so I cant test for that particular device =( At the point of clicking 'done' it will try and establish a connection on the port you selected, and if it times out, it will retry a number of times before finally dropping you back to the main screen. Could I ask how long you left the app before having to resort to pulling the battery out... I'm just curious to know if it is a hard lock up when I make use of the OpenNETCF component, or if the delay is just caused by it unsuccessfully trying the com port numerous times, and having to wait for timeouts on each failed attempt. If left, the application *should* drop back to the main screen... any chance you could try that for me please?

Guest dwrist

Hi

I left it for 25 minutes and it did not recover.

A couple of bits of further information that may be useful that I have come across while I have been playing with it.

Firstly I think that you are correct that the application is connected to the GPS device because the Bluetooth light on the GPS device goes from solid blue to flashing which usually indicates some level of connectivity/activity.

Secondly the GPS device is supposed to have a baud rate of 4800, which is not catered for in the software (or at least I can't seem to select it). I don't know whether this is the root of the problem and stopping the application from getting out of it's connection loop, but thought that it is probably worth mentioning.

Thanks again for your support

Guest Maxrom

Hi,

Thanks for trying that for me. The baud rate may have something to do with it, although if that was the problem, I'd have simply expected SmartGPS not to be able to make any sense of the data that comes back, rather than lock the phone up.

I'll see if I can do a new build over the weekend with the correct baud rate option for your device to try and resolve the problem.

Until then, can you please give me as much info about your GPS device as possible, and I'll do some research and see if I can find anything specific.

Thanks for your assistance! :)

Guest dwrist
Hi,

Thanks for trying that for me. The baud rate may have something to do with it, although if that was the problem, I'd have simply expected SmartGPS not to be able to make any sense of the data that comes back, rather than lock the phone up.

I'll see if I can do a new build over the weekend with the correct baud rate option for your device to try and resolve the problem.

Until then, can you please give me as much info about your GPS device as possible, and I'll do some research and see if I can find anything specific.

Thanks for your assistance!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the GPS receiver that i am using, it works with TomTom so I know that it communicates with the phone OK.

http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0820-521.asp

Thanks for your support, any thoughts on my feature enhancement idea?

Guest Maxrom

Excellent, thanks for that - I'll have a dig around incase there's something I've missed thats specific to that device, although from a brief look at the site, it should be absolutely fine with SmartGPS. I'll keep you posted...!

As for your suggestion, I've got SmartGPS Pro on the backburner at the moment, and that will have a lot of additional features over the standard SmartGPS application, one of which should be distance calculations. The code is working, but I'm having some accuracy issues at the moment over large distances. I'll post here when that version is done, but as it'll include quite a lot of new stuff, it might be a few weeks until I'm happy with it. Thanks for your suggestions though, it's all appreciated!

Guest Maxrom
This is the GPS receiver that i am using, it works with TomTom so I know that it communicates with the phone OK.

http://www.socketcom.com/product/GP0820-521.asp

Thanks for your support, any thoughts on my feature enhancement idea?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just posted a small update to SmartGPS to bring it up to version 0.5

This is a minor release to include 4800 baud settings which may help out with your problem, along with some minor code cleanups.

Whenever you get a chance, please give it a go and let me know if it fixes your issue...

Guest Maxrom
Hi

I left it for 25 minutes and it did not recover.

A couple of bits of further information that may be useful that I have come across while I have been playing with it.

Firstly I think that you are correct that the application is connected to the GPS device because the Bluetooth light on the GPS device goes  from solid blue to flashing which usually indicates some level of connectivity/activity.

Secondly the GPS device is supposed to have a baud rate of 4800, which is not catered for in the software (or at least I can't seem to select it).  I don't know whether this is the root of the problem and stopping the application from getting out of it's connection loop, but thought that it is probably worth mentioning.

Thanks again for your support

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quick update for you - I've just tried SmartGPS on two other GPS units - a NAVMAN device and a CoPilot device. I managed to get a similar lock up on the phone with the NAVMAN, which occurred when coming out of the settings screen after selecting the device com port and baud rate. I got a message saying the GPS device was attempting to connect to my phone, and a box to allow me to enter a pairing key. After I entered that, it locked up. I then deleted the COM port mapping in the bluetooth settings, and recreated it but without selecting 'Secure connection' on my C500. Now the device works happily, doesnt ask for a pass code, and doesnt lock up. If the 0.5 revision didnt help, can you see if you can reconfigure your bluetooth GPS connection so it doesnt try to use a secure connection. Hopefully that may help

On a side note, I had continuing problems with my bluetooth GPS device whereby if I switched it off, and then on again, I couldnt re-establish a connection without re-pairing the device all over again. By opting not to use a secure connection, it's fixed that particular problem for me! So thank you for making me take the time to play around with my connection settings - by trying to fix your problem, I've fixed my own! :)

Guest Maxrom

Any clues???

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've done some work with a NAVMAN GPS unit loaned to me by a friend, and this unit has the same problem you're experiencing. It turns out that some GPS devices do not support the $GPVTG data stream which SmartGPS uses to get speed and heading information. I've made some changes to the application to get this data using the $GPRMC stream if the other is not available, and it now works fine with the NAVMAN test unit. Once I've done some more tests, I'll post a new version of SmartGPS which should then support your GPS device. I hope to have this done in the next day or so.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

HI Maxrom this looks like it could turn out to be quite good as a nice simple GPS app.

I was wondering if you may consider 'moving map' support, nothing special like sat nav just load up a bitmap and press a button to say this corner is XXX,YYY then the other corner is XXX,YYY and have the bitmap moving accordingly :??:

Guest maniac103

Nice work!

But I have two problems with it:

- The settings are not saved on application exit. Every time I start it I have to re-enter the settings.

- If kph is set as unit, there is a comma missing in the speed displayed. It does not show "51,23 kph", but "5123 kph". I doubt I am that fast when I'm driving through the city :)

I'm using a Xaiox Wonde-XL GPS device with Nemerix chipset.

Edited by maniac103

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.