SmartGPS

Guest Maxrom

Guest phunkynutz

This is my favourite kind of app: just does one thing, and does it well.

Unfortunately I cant use it with my current kit as my GPS unit uses 57600 baud rate. Is this something you could easily fix, or am I out of luck.

Either way, keep up the good work.

Guest Maxrom
Nice work!

But I have two problems with it:

- The settings are not saved on application exit. Every time I start it I have to re-enter the settings.

- If kph is set as unit, there is a comma missing in the speed displayed. It does not show "51,23 kph", but "5123 kph". I doubt I am that fast when I'm driving through the city :)

I'm using a Xaiox Wonde-XL GPS device with Nemerix chipset.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your comments. The saving of your settings currently isnt finished, so at the moment, I'm afraid you will need to reselect com port etc, but I should have that sorted soon.

Your other problem is an interesting one though! I wish I could drive to work that fast, it'd save lots of time!! (more importantly, if I could get home from work that quick, and get down to sipping an ice cold beer more quickly, I'd be happy!). The device I used primarily to develop the app also uses a Nemerix chipset, and does show the comma, so I might have to get a GPS data dump from your device and work from that. Would you be willing to provide this if I send you a test app to give me the debug I need?

Guest Maxrom
HI Maxrom this looks like it could turn out to be quite good as a nice simple GPS app.

I was wondering if you may consider 'moving map' support, nothing special like sat nav just load up a bitmap and press a button to say this corner is XXX,YYY then the other corner is XXX,YYY and have the bitmap moving accordingly :??:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

This was an idea I was toying with, but it'll take a bit of work to get going. It's certainly on the list, but at the moment, I'm not sure when I'll get chance to add it in. It's a good idea though, and I'll keep you posted if I make any progress with it.

Thanks for your comments!

Guest Maxrom
This is my favourite kind of app: just does one thing, and does it well.

Unfortunately I cant use it with my current kit as my GPS unit uses 57600 baud rate. Is this something you could easily fix, or am I out of luck.

Either way, keep up the good work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, this is something that I can add without too much hassle. I'm working on a 0.6 version which I hope to have out by the weekend, and I'll certainly get 57600 in there as an option for you. In the meantime, you could try one of the other baud rate settings if you havent already, and see if you have any joy with it - you might be lucky!

Guest maniac103
Thanks for your comments. The saving of your settings currently isnt finished, so at the moment, I'm afraid you will need to reselect com port etc, but I should have that sorted soon.

Nice to hear that :)

Your other problem is an interesting one though! I wish I could drive to work that fast, it'd save lots of time!! (more importantly, if I could get home from work that quick, and get down to sipping an ice cold beer more quickly, I'd be happy!). The device I used primarily to develop the app also uses a Nemerix chipset, and does show the comma, so I might have to get a GPS data dump from your device and work from that. Would you be willing to provide this if I send you a test app to give me the debug I need?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, no problem ;)

I also have another idea: Can you implement a function to dump the data coming from the serial line into a file with a given name like ".nmea"? I can provide you with sample code for that in C++, if you like. That way, I only had to use one app for all GPS tasks :(

Guest Maxrom
Nice to hear that :)

Yes, no problem ;)

I also have another idea: Can you implement a function to dump the data coming from the serial line into a file with a given name like ".nmea"? I can provide you with sample code for that in C++, if you like. That way, I only had to use one app for all GPS tasks :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks for that - I'll whip up a small debug app, and let you know when it's done. Once I have the GPS stream from you to work with, I'll see if I can figure out this problem.

The GPS logging is something I've already started working on, and will be in the Pro version when I get it finished. No ideas when that will be yet, but hopefully 'soon' ! :(

Edited by Maxrom

Guest ElGato65
Ok, thanks for that - I'll whip up a small debug app, and let you know when it's done. Once I have the GPS stream from you to work with, I'll see if I can figure out this problem.

The GPS logging is something I've already starting working on, and will be in the Pro version when I get it finished. No ideas when that will be yet, but hopefully 'soon' !  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any other details (or rumours) of what might be in the pro version, I would be very interested if it included Safety Camera detection as Pauls[MVP] CamerAware seems to have been forgotten about.

Guest Maxrom
Any other details (or rumours) of what might be in the pro version, I would be very interested if it included Safety Camera detection as Pauls[MVP] CamerAware seems to have been forgotten about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd like to include something like that within SmartGPS, but at the moment I've not looked into it at all. If I did do it, I'd like to be able to support a standard POI format, such as the one used by TomTom, so you can just update the POI file with new cameras when they become known about.

If I make any progress with that, I'll post here and let you know.

Thanks for your comments!

Guest Maxrom

NEW version 0.6 now available!

This version has the following fixes/changes :

Fixed problem of no speed or heading being displayed from some GPS devices

Fixed problem with inaccurate altitude readings from some GPS devices

Added more options for baud rate to support devices that need faster com port speeds

Thanks for your interest in SmartGPS - I hope you enjoy the latest version!

Edited by Maxrom

Guest Maxrom
HI, Just installed the latest version and rebooted my phone. When I run it It appears to run ok, then I go into 'settings' and set the com to 'com7' and select 'done'. I then get a bluetooth connection to my gps device and I get the coordinates and altitude details on the phone. However, I just get a '?' where it should show direction and 0MPH. Also 0 average and max speeds. If I drive around only the coordinates and altitude change.

SPV500 and simple GPS device that works perfectly with TOMTOM and SmartHiker

Secondly, If I lose the gps signal, the programme displays 'no satelites' and when I get a signal again the programme does not respond???

Any clues???

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just updated SmartGPS to v0.6 and this new version should fix your problems. Please let me know how you get on. Thanks...!

Guest maniac103

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What came to my mind when I thought about the problem: Could this be a matter of comma and dot? My device puts out floating point numbers with dot ("48.90"), perhaps your device puts it out with comma ("48,90")? Or could that have to do something with locale settings? My locale is set to German, so that the normal floating point separator is the comma...

Guest dwrist

Hi Maxrom

Sorry for the delay while I tried your recommendations out.

Firstly I decided to upgrade my phone to the latest generic ROM version (1.47) as I heard that this improved bluetooth performance. This took longer than I hoped while I reinstalled all previous apps and made sure that Tomtom still worked.

Unfortunately this seems to have had no effect on the problems that I am having and I still get the same lock up when i press done to come out of the configuration screen irrespective of the baud rate selected. I know that he phone is communicated with the GPS device at the point as at this exact point the bluetooth connection light starts to flash, so the lock up must come after this point.

With respect to making the connection secure or not secure, I can't find anything on the MPX220 that allows you to make that distinction. I think that i read somewhere that the MPX220 uses the standard Windows Mobile Bluetooth driver where as most of the other phones use a proprietary driver, so maybe this is why. It is not in the comport emulation set-up which is what I usually use to install a device. Not having access to another smartphone means that I cannot check for differences in this area.

I can get some log scripts for you if this would help and you give me instructions on how to do it.

Regards and thanks again for your great support

Guest Maxrom
What came to my mind when I thought about the problem: Could this be a matter of comma and dot? My device puts out floating point numbers with dot ("48.90"), perhaps your device puts it out with comma ("48,90")? Or could that have to do something with locale settings? My locale is set to German, so that the normal floating point separator is the comma...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your GPS device has a locale setting whereby the GPS data output could use a , rather than a . when outputting speed (eg 23,4 instead of 23.4), then that would cause a problem with the current version of SmartGPS. Locale settings on your phone itself shouldn't affect anything though.

If you can set your GPS device to output data using a . instead of a , then could you try that for me please and let me know how you get on? Well spotted if that is the problem... something I'll have to work on to fix. If not, then I'll get that debug app sorted out over the weekend, and then go from there.

Thanks!

Guest Maxrom
Hi Maxrom

Sorry for the delay while I tried your recommendations out.

Firstly I decided to upgrade my phone to the latest generic ROM version (1.47) as I heard that this improved bluetooth performance.  This took longer than I hoped while I reinstalled all previous apps and made sure that Tomtom still worked.

Unfortunately this seems to have had no effect on the problems that I am having and I still get the same lock up when i press done to come out of the configuration screen irrespective of the baud rate selected.  I know that he phone is communicated with the GPS device at the point as at this exact point the bluetooth connection light starts to flash, so the lock up must come after this point.

With respect to making the connection secure or not secure, I can't find anything on the MPX220 that allows you to make that distinction.  I think that i read somewhere that the MPX220 uses the standard Windows Mobile Bluetooth driver where as most of the other phones use a proprietary driver, so maybe this is why.  It is not in the comport emulation set-up which is what I usually use to install a device.  Not having access to another smartphone means that I cannot check for differences in this area.

I can get some log scripts for you if this would help and you give me instructions on how to do it.

Regards and thanks again for your great support

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for trying that out for me. A bit of a puzzler this one :?:

Just out of interest, did you try that with the new 0.6 version - I only posted it last night, so i dont know if you got that..?

Assuming that your firmware update effectively wiped everything off your phone, I think we can assume that it's not a conflict between SmartGPS and any previously installed apps. If it's a problem at a comms level, then the OpenNETCF libraries that I use to connect to the GPS device may be worth looking at next. I believe there is an updated version for Smartphone, so I'll try and get hold of that, and see if that improves anything. Until then, is there any chance you could go to 'Remove programs' and see what version of OpenCFNET SDF is installed on your phone - it should be v1.3 at the moment.

Thanks.

Guest maniac103
If you can set your GPS device to output data using a . instead of a , then could you try that for me please and let me know how you get on? Well spotted if that is the problem... something I'll have to work on to fix. If not, then I'll get that debug app sorted out over the weekend, and then go from there.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My GPS device puts out the data with "." at the moment.

Here is an excerpt of a log:

$GPGGA,124330.589,5034.7278,N,01217.9808,E,1,11,00.8,416.7,M,46.1,M,,*64

$GPRMC,124330.589,A,5034.7278,N,01217.9808,E,63.01,49.06,170805,,,A*6D

$GPVTG,49.06,T,,,63.01,N,116.70,K,A*7E

$GPGGA,124331.589,5034.7392,N,01218.0013,E,1,11,00.8,416.1,M,46.1,M,,*62

$GPRMC,124331.589,A,5034.7392,N,01218.0013,E,62.83,48.97,170805,,,A*6F

$GPVTG,48.97,T,,,62.83,N,116.36,K,A*7E

$GPGGA,124332.589,5034.7506,N,01218.0217,E,1,11,00.8,415.6,M,46.1,M,,*68

$GPGSA,A,3,07,08,09,10,15,18,19,26,27,28,29,,1.2,0.8,0.9*32

$GPGSV,3,1,11,07,11,138,37,08,38,071,42,09,10,260,31,10,26,198,33*7A

$GPGSV,3,2,11,15,06,323,36,18,15,322,43,19,06,022,42,26,67,297,46*77

$GPGSV,3,3,11,27,09,078,39,28,62,091,46,29,81,276,42,,,,*43

But SmartGPS does not detect that, though? :??:

Guest Maxrom
My GPS device puts out the data with "." at the moment.

Here is an excerpt of a log:

$GPGGA,124330.589,5034.7278,N,01217.9808,E,1,11,00.8,416.7,M,46.1,M,,*64

$GPRMC,124330.589,A,5034.7278,N,01217.9808,E,63.01,49.06,170805,,,A*6D

$GPVTG,49.06,T,,,63.01,N,116.70,K,A*7E

$GPGGA,124331.589,5034.7392,N,01218.0013,E,1,11,00.8,416.1,M,46.1,M,,*62

$GPRMC,124331.589,A,5034.7392,N,01218.0013,E,62.83,48.97,170805,,,A*6F

$GPVTG,48.97,T,,,62.83,N,116.36,K,A*7E

$GPGGA,124332.589,5034.7506,N,01218.0217,E,1,11,00.8,415.6,M,46.1,M,,*68

$GPGSA,A,3,07,08,09,10,15,18,19,26,27,28,29,,1.2,0.8,0.9*32

$GPGSV,3,1,11,07,11,138,37,08,38,071,42,09,10,260,31,10,26,198,33*7A

$GPGSV,3,2,11,15,06,323,36,18,15,322,43,19,06,022,42,26,67,297,46*77

$GPGSV,3,3,11,27,09,078,39,28,62,091,46,29,81,276,42,,,,*43

But SmartGPS does not detect that, though?  :??:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats excellent, thank you - saves me having to do a debug app! :)

The current version of SmartGPS will use $GPRMC as default, but will favour $GPVTG if available. Looking at the output here, both data types show speed with a decimal point. $GPRMC shows speed in knots (63.01) and $GPVTG shows speed in Kph (116.70) so it all looks ok.

Leave it with me, and I'll recheck the data handling in SmartGPS and see if theres anything nasty happening. Do you have access to another GPS unit to test with by any chance?

Guest maniac103
Leave it with me, and I'll recheck the data handling in SmartGPS and see if theres anything nasty happening. Do you have access to another GPS unit to test with by any chance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm sorry :)

The Nemerix one is the only one I have here.

Guest dwrist

Hi

I am using the same version of OpenCFNET that you include with the package (as that is what you tested it with). I did use 0.6, as I downloaded it this morning and installed both OpenCFNET and the new smartGPS.

Thanks

Edited by dwrist

Guest Maxrom
Hi

I am using the same version of OpenCFNET that you include with the package (as that is what you tested it with).  I did use 0.6, as I downloaded it this morning and installed both OpenCFNET and the new smartGPS.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, no worries :) - I'll keep looking into it, and might try and build a version against the later OpenNETCF libraries and see if that helps. I'll keep you posted...!

Guest minisdcard
Hi,

Sorry you're having some issues with SmartGPS. From your comments, it looks like the data feed is being received ok for the most part, but the application is obviously having issues trying to decode the speed data. Can you please give me as much information as you can about your GPS device - model number, manufacturer, FCC number etc. From this I may be able to get the info I need to resolve your problem. If not, I might also need to get you to send me a dump of the data it's passing back to the app - if I need this information, then I'll have to email you a small program to run to give me the debug I need, if thats ok with you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Maxrom. I just copied the new 0.6 version onto my phone and I now get the speeds, and the direction ok. However the asl started at 180ft and stayed at that figure. Also When I lose the signal on my gps device the program says no satelites, but when I get a gps signal again the program still says no satellites. I have tried the same with smarthiker and it gets the signal again immediately sfter a signal loss. Lastly it does not seem to exit from the program when you select exit.

Cheers

Guest minisdcard
Hi Maxrom. I just copied the new 0.6 version onto my phone and I now get the speeds, and the direction ok. However the asl started at 180ft and stayed at that figure. Also When I lose the signal on my gps device the program says no satelites, but when I get a gps signal again the program still says no satellites. I have tried the same with smarthiker and it gets the signal again immediately sfter a signal loss. Lastly it does not seem to exit from the program when you select exit.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The program exits ok, sorry its smarthiker that doesnt exit properly. To add to the above, the asl was working perfectly on version 0.4

Guest Maxrom
The program exits ok, sorry its smarthiker that doesnt exit properly. To add to the above, the asl was working perfectly on version 0.4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're getting there....! At least the speed and heading now work! There was a change to the code that displays altitude to keep consistency between three GPS devices I've been testing with. It seems that there is a difference between units, so fixing some will break others. What I may do is add an option to the settings to use alternate altitude data - that way you can switch between the two variations to get the one that works with your particular device. I'll put that in for 0.7, so that should fix you up with correct altitude readings again.

The other issue you have regarding status info for satellites is a little more puzzling. The fact you do get status info to start with suggests SmartGPS is reading it correctly, so I'm not sure why it doesnt update properly if you loose signal. Does it work if you go back into settings, and then come out again, or does it still fail to show correct sat info?

Edited by Maxrom

Guest minisdcard
We're getting there....! At least the speed and heading now work! There was a change to the code that displays altitude to keep consistency between three GPS devices I've been testing with. It seems that there is a difference between units, so fixing some will break others. What I may do is add an option to the settings to use alternate altitude data - that way you can switch between the two variations to get the one that works with your particular device. I'll put that in for 0.7, so that should fix you up with correct altitude readings again.

The other issue you have regarding  status info for satellites is a little more puzzling. The fact you do get status info to start with suggests SmartGPS is reading it correctly, so I'm not sure why it doesnt update properly if you loose signal. Does it work if you go back into settings, and then come out again, or does it still fail to show correct sat info?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI Maxrom. OK, when I run smart gps I then have to go into settings and set baud rate etc. If my gps device is not switched on I get the 'no satellites' comment with no information. If I then switch my gps device on and get a signal smartgps does not pick it up. I have to go back into settings select done then it connects. Still have the fixed asl though on version 0.6 (which was ok on version 0.4). WHilst driving around and everything working ok (asl?) thats good. But if I lose the signal smart gps comes up with 'no satellites. If I regain the signal smartgps does not pick it up unless I select 'settings' done. Then its ok again. Lastly if I switch the gps device off after having a good signal smartgps screen stays at the screen it was displaying, data doesnt change, still says 5 of 5 satellites etc. If I then go into settings done it says no satelites. Smarthiker automatically detects the signal again if it loses it. Can smart gps automatically detect at all times and display relevant info??

Guest Maxrom
HI Maxrom. OK, when I run smart gps I then have to go into settings and set baud rate etc. If my gps device is not switched on I get the 'no satellites' comment with no information. If I then switch my gps device on and get a signal smartgps does not pick it up. I have to go back into settings select done then it connects. Still have the fixed asl though on version 0.6 (which was ok on version 0.4). WHilst driving around and everything working ok (asl?) thats good. But if I lose the signal smart gps comes up with 'no satellites. If I regain the signal smartgps does not pick it up unless I select 'settings' done. Then its ok again.  Lastly if I switch the gps device off after having a good signal smartgps screen stays at the screen it was displaying, data doesnt change, still says 5 of 5 satellites etc. If I then go into settings done it says no satelites. Smarthiker automatically detects the signal again if it loses it. Can smart gps automatically detect at all times and display relevant info??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, thanks for the info :) From this, the problem looks like SmartGPS is actually loosing the com port connection to your GPS, and the only way to re-establish that is to go into settings and hit done. Not sure exactly why it would do that if you loose satellite lock, but if I were to add a regular check to see if the com port is open or not, I could then automatically attempt a reconnect which would save you going into settings and hitting done. This check would also be able to clear the screen should you turn off the GPS unit, so it doesnt keep saying the number of sats locked etc. Leave it with me, and I'll see if I can get that sorted out.

The ASL problem will be solved in the next version - I'll add an option to use alternate altitude data so all units can get a correct reading.

Thanks for the update! ;)

Guest roma0803

A program(mer) on the roll ;-) Compliments Maxrom for the support you're giving. Became curious about your app so will install and try it today on my MPx220 and Adapt Nemerix GPS.

Cheers and keep up the good work

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.